Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the Yeti forum first. Let's see what everyone has to say.

Any thoughts? Ever since I brought my brake lever closer on my Hayes Nines, the brakes feel spongy. The mechanics tried bleeding and made it better but they still feel soft and not as responsive. When you move the lever away from the handlebar, the sponginess goes away and it feels more responsive.

Is there different methods to bleed brakes. I looked at the Hayes PDFs concerning bleeding brakes. There method was a lot different from the way the guy that bled my brakes.

I first get a call asking what was exactly the problem and he told me that the bike would be done in an hour. I left it the day before. I had already adjusted the levers to wear I wanted them so I can actually reach them. I get to the shop to pick the bike up. All the one mechanic did was move the lever back. Once he did that it became more responsive. However, the lever was too far for my little hands. So, that guy was out to lunch. Another mechanic, who is cool to deal with, said he would bleed them for me to see if it makes a difference. There was no little bottle, just a little tube he used on the rear brake housing. Trash can to catch the fluid. They poored the brake fluid in with the brake fluid bottle. It was an overall messy experience. Brake fluid on the front tire and fork over my shifters. They told me if they would try bleeding it until they get it right. Which was cool but I was going out of town and didn't want to leave the bike for a prolong period of time there. So, I opted to see how they felt and I'll bring it back. I get home and out of curiosity looked up the info on Hayes' sight to see what was involved in bleeding brakes. I read the dot 3 and 4 fluid causes havoc to paint. Great!!!! Also getting the fluid on your brake pad will decrease the performance. Luckily it is part of my free adjustments for a year so it was free.

Reading the directions further, he bled it the opposite direction. He removed the cap of the resevoir which hayes states not to do. While adding more oil he was pumping the lever. The excess oil was coming out of the caliper. The bleed kit allows you to pump the fresh oil in at the caliper and the excess oil will come out at the master cyclinder through a special fitting. Right?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
95Stumpy said:
I posted this on the Yeti forum first. Let's see what everyone has to say.

Any thoughts? Ever since I brought my brake lever closer on my Hayes Nines, the brakes feel spongy. The mechanics tried bleeding and made it better but they still feel soft and not as responsive. When you move the lever away from the handlebar, the sponginess goes away and it feels more responsive.

Is there different methods to bleed brakes. I looked at the Hayes PDFs concerning bleeding brakes. There method was a lot different from the way the guy that bled my brakes.

I first get a call asking what was exactly the problem and he told me that the bike would be done in an hour. I left it the day before. I had already adjusted the levers to wear I wanted them so I can actually reach them. I get to the shop to pick the bike up. All the one mechanic did was move the lever back. Once he did that it became more responsive. However, the lever was too far for my little hands. So, that guy was out to lunch. Another mechanic, who is cool to deal with, said he would bleed them for me to see if it makes a difference. There was no little bottle, just a little tube he used on the rear brake housing. Trash can to catch the fluid. They poored the brake fluid in with the brake fluid bottle. It was an overall messy experience. Brake fluid on the front tire and fork over my shifters. They told me if they would try bleeding it until they get it right. Which was cool but I was going out of town and didn't want to leave the bike for a prolong period of time there. So, I opted to see how they felt and I'll bring it back. I get home and out of curiosity looked up the info on Hayes' sight to see what was involved in bleeding brakes. I read the dot 3 and 4 fluid causes havoc to paint. Great!!!! Also getting the fluid on your brake pad will decrease the performance. Luckily it is part of my free adjustments for a year so it was free.

Reading the directions further, he bled it the opposite direction. He removed the cap of the resevoir which hayes states not to do. While adding more oil he was pumping the lever. The excess oil was coming out of the caliper. The bleed kit allows you to pump the fresh oil in at the caliper and the excess oil will come out at the master cyclinder through a special fitting. Right?
Some people do reverse bleeds. Some people use syringes rather than the bottle. The DOT fluid only strips the paint if you don't clean it off.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
keen said:
I'd stay away from that shop. I reverse bleed (caliper to lever) and have no hydro problems.
Actually that's a regular bleed for Hayes brakes. Reverse bleed for Hayes is from lever to caliper. I recommend using the syring. Not as messy and usually gives you better results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.