Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good light brakeset with decent stopping power but more prioritizing good feel and modulation. They might see the occasional long bike park style descent where fade may become an issue, but pretty rarely so thats pretty secondary. i'll probably end up with a 180 160 F&R rotor
Looking at the Level ultimates, XTR 9100, and the MT8 SL's. maybe hopes. I can get a decent discount for them all but hopes so the price isnt much of an issue. I've heard good things about magura's but never tried them.

I dont like super touchy on off brakes, UNLESS it has a really stiff lever feel, then i dont mind. biggest thing i dont like is a super soft, easy and touchy brake.

thoughts? Im mostly curious if anyones had experience on the magura's.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Don't don't about maguras, but Shimano more on/off, sram more modulation. Sram have broader levers, Shimano are a bit more narrow but I feel they cup a single finger better. I currently ride XTRs and like them. I ride Pisgah chunky DH and some park downhill and haven't had fade issues.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
MT8s are sweet, Modulation and power what a concept. I've run 180/180 and throw on a 203 for trips to the mountains. I use 2 finger levers and run them pretty far in on the bar. I still only use 1 finger. A lot of people prefer the 1 finger lever mostly for look.
I haven't run the 9100 but here they've made gains in the modulation Dept.
If SRAM look at G2 for a good feeling brake, but I'm always a bit concerned with first run SRAM brake products. Also a lot to be said for non-DOT brake fluids.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I too really like the Magura MT8 Next brakes. If you get a solid bleed they feel great stop good and modulate amazing. I weigh about 205 and run 180/160 SL rotors on a 20lb HT and they stop me easily.

Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost wrote the MT8's off after reading some reviews, but they were a little older so maybe they've improved them recently?

I've decided against the level's so now its between the MT8 and the XTR. I've heard the new XTR, I think double piston specifically? rather than the 4 piston has pretty good modulation.

If i want to really get into details or if i were to have the ideal brake, Id like there to be a bit of travel through the initial bite, so its easy to just drag a little bit of brake if needed, and especially for trailing off the brake, be able to trail off gradually as i enter the corner, rather than just have it snap off. I like to brake a bit through the entry of some corners, depending on the bike, some dont like it. so having good modulation when your only using 10-20% of your braking potential is important.

As the brakes start to really bite, i want there to be a good amount of effort through less travel with the lever close to the bar. with an obvious, almost "pedal stop" like feel just past lock up.

I havent had a brake that does that. Maybe the closest was my Hope race evo x2's (which is still an option) but I think its something in the lever, they have good modulation even at little braking effort, but the feel as the brake initially starts to engage kinda sucks. at and close to the limit they're awesome.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Almost wrote the MT8's off after reading some reviews, but they were a little older so maybe they've improved them recently?

I've decided against the level's so now its between the MT8 and the XTR. I've heard the new XTR, I think double piston specifically? rather than the 4 piston has pretty good modulation.

If i want to really get into details or if i were to have the ideal brake, Id like there to be a bit of travel through the initial bite, so its easy to just drag a little bit of brake if needed, and especially for trailing off the brake, be able to trail off gradually as i enter the corner, rather than just have it snap off. I like to brake a bit through the entry of some corners, depending on the bike, some dont like it. so having good modulation when your only using 10-20% of your braking potential is important.

As the brakes start to really bite, i want there to be a good amount of effort through less travel with the lever close to the bar. with an obvious, almost "pedal stop" like feel just past lock up.

I havent had a brake that does that. Maybe the closest was my Hope race evo x2's (which is still an option) but I think its something in the lever, they have good modulation even at little braking effort, but the feel as the brake initially starts to engage kinda sucks. at and close to the limit they're awesome.
It's all in technique...I have been running straight shimanos on my bikes for years ..if you want to feather the brakes on XTRs you can easily...it's just a different pull than another company's brakes, Shimano don't feel on/off to me unless I slam them, but if you rode srams and went to Shimano they would feel on/off

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts

What did you end up doing? I'm also considering the XTR's or the MT8 SL's to lighten up the brake system from my M8000's. The MT8's sound really nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
What did you end up doing? I'm also considering the XTR's or the MT8 SL's to lighten up the brake system from my M8000's. The MT8's sound really nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Any updates from anyone? I'm also thinking about XTR or MT8 SL, coming off M8000 single-pots.

M8000 Pro:
Pad clearance
Lever feel
Easy to bleed
Great reach adjust

M8000 Con:
Pumps up and engagement point moves with quick repeated braking
Kinda heavy, even in two-pot (585g total; ~400g for MT8 SL or XTR)
Engagement point adjustment is worthless
Pads are heavy and expensive (I know I could just go Kool Stop)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.