Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, asking this on this forum because I don't know where else to ask. My question involves a hydraulic seatpost so I figured what the heck.

One of the neatest features about the Kindshock LEV seatpost is the nifty way you can orient the direction the saddle points reative to the direction the cable actuation thingy points. In other words the cable can come off the back or either side or wherever. Does this make sense? Anyway I didn't know the difference between LEV models when I bought the LEV DX, which doesn't seem to offer the nifty head that allows nearly infinite relative saddle to cable thingy angles. Does it? I couldn't find any way to adjust this in the manual that accompanied the LEV DX seatpost.

So frustrating just trying to explain so hope this makes sense to somebody. Any help will be greatly appreciated, or if a more appropriate forum, let me know and I'll ask there. Thanks.
--sParty

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, here's the deal. If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought the regular LEV, not the LEV DX (penalty to buying mail order sight unseen).
The DX lacks the regular LEV's ingenious rotating cradle/head that allows you to point the saddle in any direction relative to the cable actuation junction on the side of the post. You CAN adjust the DX in this regard but the seatpost must be completely dismantled to do it and even then, only in 20º increments. Here's the vid that shows how to dismantle a LEV seatpost:
KS LEV Service - YouTube
Tedious compared to the regular LEV... the DX is not worth the savings IMO.
--sParty

·
MattSavage
2,480 Posts
Okay, here's the deal. If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought the regular LEV, not the LEV DX (penalty to buying mail order sight unseen).
The DX lacks the regular LEV's ingenious rotating cradle/head that allows you to point the saddle in any direction relative to the cable actuation junction on the side of the post. You CAN adjust the DX in this regard but the seatpost must be completely dismantled to do it and even then, only in 20º increments. Here's the vid that shows how to dismantle a LEV seatpost:
KS LEV Service - YouTube
Tedious compared to the regular LEV... the DX is not worth the savings IMO.
--sParty
Ugh... Just found this out myself... Shoulda just splurged for the new all black one...

·
MattSavage
2,480 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just ordered one of these and the way it sit to the side is gonna work out perfect for my frame.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
So I have installed my do today and noticed that the post has a bit of fore and aft movement. Does your post have any play in it?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

·
MattSavage
2,480 Posts
yes, that's normal. you don't notice it in the saddle.

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
Installed one of these yesterday. Even though it was quite easy to install, the installation instructions are very vague. There is no instruction on how to rotate the cable routing and I found this frustrating. Mine works in the position it's in but I would have liked it in another position. After watching the vid posted above, I guess I'll probably give that a shot. Looks easy enough if the right tools are available.

I haven't had a chance to ride yet with it installed, so no comments on performance. But I do like the action. I purchased this model because I got an amazing deal and because of that couldn't justify the price of the regular LEV model.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
One good thing about having to disassemble the DX so as to reveal the inner post while trying to get the cable box in the correct orientation--you will now know how to lube your post. I have a KS Lev, and after 6 months, I got caught out in the rain, and my post immediately started malfunctioning (I have the cable box pointed rearward). I watched the videos, and I read the KS Maintenance thread, but my post was very difficult to take apart. After finally getting everything apart and relubing, I am of the opinion that all KS Lev owners should take apart their posts within the first two months to lube them, so that the internal parts don't weld together.

You guys already have to do that, and if you lube your post regularly it will keep your post working silky smooth.

The only tools I used to take apart my post were a $6 strap wrench that I purchased and a large crescent wrench. I did not use a vice; I just held the post in my hands. But if I did need a vise, I was planning on using my bike stand to clamp the post. You can look at the KS *Lev* service video to see how the guy uses the strap wrench to get the actuator head off. For me, getting the actuator head off was very difficult. The trick that worked for me: if you watch the KS Lev video carefully, the guy applies a sudden jerk to the wrench on the actuator head. Because getting the actuator head off was so difficult, I am going to try and locate a soft jaws clamp like the guy uses in the KS DX video.

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

One thing I already don't like is the plastic face plate that covers the attachment point for the cable. It seems to work lose and the hook comes undone.

Anyone else have this problem? Workarounds??

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
My KS Lev has an aluminum face plate, and I tied a rubber band around it for the first several weeks because I was afraid it might fall off; now I don't do that anymore. If you find a rubber band small enough, you can thread the cable/housing through the rubber band, attach the cable to the post, then slide the rubber band up over the cable box. Unfortunately, rubber bands degrade quickly in the sun.

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
Are you putting the face plate on first, then sliding the cable stop (with the hook) up into the slot?
Yeah, it stays put from the bottom. The top is where it seems to come undone. I put a zip tie around it and it's fine now, but would rather not Mickey Mouse a brand new product.

·
Registered
720 Posts
What a f-ing joke... I WOULD OF NEVER OF BOUGHT THIS POST IF I KNEW THIS! Anyone want to buy a ks lev dx 31.6 150mm? $275 PM me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts