Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of selecting some tubing for a full suspension mountain bike I am building utilizing a Titus Racer X rear end. My original plans of using a Zona tubeset have recently been squashed as I was told the tubing was too thin and Zona is not so great a tube set. That leaves me looking for the "right tubes" to build this front triangle. I ride only XC. Mainly in OH, WV, and NC. My riding weight varies from 160-190 depending on the time of year.
For those unfamiliar with the Titus Racer X rear end, the suspension connects via a rocker link at the seat tube, and shock mount at the top tube. The bike will be small! I am 5'2" and all torso. Roughly a 380mm ST and an effective TT of 590mm. Any suggestions? I would love to keep this bike sub 6lbs if at all possible. I would also like it not to fail and I am kind of attached to my teeth ;-)

Jason

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Built any frames before?

If yes, post some pics and I'll post some detailed answers. I build FS bikes similar to this all the time.

If no, get a cheap tubeset and build yourself a townie (or two) and see how that goes, then come back if you think you still want to do this.

Homegrown's answer is a pretty good one, FWIW

-Walt

·
no dabs
518 Posts
HomeGrownSS said:
straight gauge cro-mo, rebuild the front triangle down the road.
I'll second (third?) that. Chances are good you will want to make changes down the road. Plus, the frame is so small that the butted sections of the tubes are a minor part of the total weight :D

Aircraftspuce or whomever for straight gauge. BB shell and head tube stock as the heaviest unvented you can find at Nova or HJ, or whomever you like.

The one exception might be the seat tube on a non suspension frame, but on this one, you probably need some beef right where the thinnest part of the butt is on a standard tube. You could sleeve a standard bike seat tube, or you could use straight gauge and use a problem solver style reducer sleeve to make a standard post size work. You don't need the exact right reducer either. A reducer made to go from (making up numbers) 30.0 down to 27.2 will generally work well (with the slit widened) to adapt a 31.6 x.9 tube down to fit a 27.0 post, for example. If you really mess up the joint near the post clamp, you could even ream a little, and pick a different reducer size to fit, and so on. In other words, don't limit yourself to ID's that match standard post sizes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input both in and out of this thread. I decided to go with some .035 straight gauge tubing for the ST and TT and I will use a 9/6/9 DT. This is my just first iteration which is why I just bought the used Titus rear end from ebay. I hope to do a slightly higher end model later.

Jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.