Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are many topics that discuss and ask questions about what bottom bracket to use on bike X and crank Y. I'm just looking for general experience with various BB92 bottom brackets. I'm about to replace the 30mm raceface setup but am intrigued by the Enduro bearings that press directly into the frame. Anyone have any luck with these or something similar?
Green Jewellery Fashion accessory Ring Metal

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Bear with my basic, technically-challenged question: I have two Pivot LES’ - one SS and one geared - and I absolutely love them...EXCEPT for the way the bottom brackets creak, regardless of what I do. Would these bearings or bottom brackets help solve or mitigate that issue? TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've actually had good luck over the years with press fit bottom brackets. I think the biggest problem is that people over torque the crank preload. This causes the bearings to fail

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,825 Posts
Newer Race Face Cinch BB's also have double row bearings. I gave up on running 30mm crank spindles in PF92 BB's a few years ago and just run Shimano cranks now.
Is the RF design an update? The RF BBs I used sucked. The RF cranks are are a PITA - I have to use locktite. However, once locktite is applied, Enduro BB and a OneUp Switch chaining installed with plenty of grease it is pretty much forget about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
change is good
3,825 Posts
Bear with my basic, technically-challenged question: I have two Pivot LES' - one SS and one geared - and I absolutely love them...EXCEPT for the way the bottom brackets creak, regardless of what I do. Would these bearings or bottom brackets help solve or mitigate that issue? TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If the bikes have either Shimano or SRAM BBs, it's unlikely the creak is from the BB.

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
Bear with my basic, technically-challenged question: I have two Pivot LES' - one SS and one geared - and I absolutely love them...EXCEPT for the way the bottom brackets creak, regardless of what I do. Would these bearings or bottom brackets help solve or mitigate that issue? TIA!

Yes! Instead of two independent bearings, this is one larger "cassette" which is pressed in from one side. Not only does it ensure that both bearings are aligned with each other, but it means they are pressed at the factory under perfect conditions. It's genius. In fact it changed my mind about press fit bottom brackets. I now feel threaded are inferior to this, aside from the added 100 grams they weigh.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,800 Posts
If the bikes have either Shimano or SRAM BBs, it's unlikely the creak is from the BB.

Old sram PF BBs were terrible.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The balls in the rf are so tiny they can’t possibly hold up. Get the wheels manufacturing or enduros that press directly into the frame. I’ve run them on multiple bikes for years and they last. The rf I had to replace every 6 months. One of the wheels mfg i have is in its second bike and probably has 3 years on it.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,098 Posts
I'm glad you all are having good luck with your Enduro dual row bearings. Unfortunately, I can't report the same. Mine are in rough shape after four months of relatively dry riding. IMO, from a design standpoint, BB92 is a bummer. I don't mind the wide shell (I've turned custom 120mm ti shells for some of my customers for my own bikes) but I don't see any downside in having the PF30 (46mm) ID to accommodate the wide variety of cranks that are currently on the market. Other than the BB shell size, my only other complaint is their use of space in the rear tire/chainstay/chainring area. I have a heap of unneeded space between the stay and my 34t ring, but the rear tire rubs in hard corners.

·
change is good
3,825 Posts
Old sram PF BBs were terrible.
Better than RF I do admit I didn't run SRAM PF92 long. Shimano yes - Midwest and east coast, 4 season, bike covered with brine. I could get a year out of a $40 BB and they never creaked.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I decided that the weight didn't matter compared to having a rock solid bottom bracket. This totally changed my opinion on press fit bb's, and I even believe it's superior to threaded.

https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/bb9292mm-for-30mm-spindles
I just had a good look at this, but I just don't buy their reasoning. If a regular BB can be distorted because the shell is misaligned, how will their product help? You just end up pushing their BB into a misaligned shell, which will distort the BB. It isn't like the BB will straighten the shell. Added to this, their BB then needs to have smaller bearings to cater for the additional thickness. It may reduce creaking due to having the bearings inside a sleeve and being fitted under more controlled conditions (maybe bonded in?), but to be honest, I've never had an issue with press-fit BBs - I've always used Shimano.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,800 Posts
Better than RF I do admit I didn't run SRAM PF92 long. Shimano yes - Midwest and east coast, 4 season, bike covered with brine. I could get a year out of a $40 BB and they never creaked.

Not the old plastic sram PF BBs, those creaked like crazy. They were terrible. Many of the early PF BBs were pretty bad.

Apples to apples, there really is no comparison, because trying to cram a 30mm spindle in BB92 was never supported by SRAM in the first place, RF was more than happy to fill the gap and manufacturers were more than happy to knowingly spec the inferior RF system on BB92 bikes designed for 24mm spindles. This was irresponsible of the manufacturers. They wanted to make their bikes seem light and competitive with lighter Next SL design, but BB92 was designed around 24mm spindles, before 30mm spindles became a "thing". The 30mm spindle allows for an even better strength/stiffness to weight ratio, but you gotta have space for the bearings. For some of the manufacturers, like Pivot, to tell us about how much better BB92 is, and then spec a 30mm spindle that it wasn't designed for where the bearings are compromised is bullsh*t. They could have and should have speced the shimano cranks the system was originally designed for, or used a different BB standard.

That said, the Enduro/Hope BB has done me well. I raced 100 miles through constant mud as well as similar conditions through many races and rides last summer and it did great. I took it apart over winter and it was still packed pretty well with grease.

·
change is good
3,825 Posts
I was so annoyed with RF I went back to XT - set and forget. But I spent so much for RF and not only are SixCs noticeably stiffer, my Next SLs feel stiffer. Serves me right.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.