Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of answer pro taper carbons at 780mm 4 x 8 geometry, 20 mm rise.

For reference I currently ride Sunline 745's with 35mm rise which I believe are 5 x 9 geometry.

How are the differences going to translate to riding?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've got no idea what the "geometry" you're referencing is, but it will be more controlled and stable with more weight on the front end. As long as the sweep is similar you shouldn't notice much difference in comfort.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,390 Posts
I have a set of a pair of a set of answer protaper carbons 780s too. I got the low-rise version because it's on a 29er with set of a pair of 160mm travel rockshox pikes forks. This helps to keep the front end reasonable. As front end height goes up due to more travel or a bigger wheel-size, lower-rise bars tend to work out better. On shorter travel bikes or for people with really long legs, it can be helpful to have a little more rise. As far as backsweep, usually a bit more backsweep is more comfortable for most people.

·
Registered
861 Posts
are you going to put spacers under the new bar to make up for the 15mm difference?

i like my handlebar about even or a little above my seat level when my seat is fully extended.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
protapers are my favorite bars, most bars have more backsweep and upsweep which to my hands is uncomfortable too much pressure on the pinky side of my palm. But everyones different.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you going to put spacers under the new bar to make up for the 15mm difference?

i like my handlebar about even or a little above my seat level when my seat is fully extended.
I hadn't planned on that as I already have a few spacers under the stem now. I figured out I would try without first and then add.

·
Registered
8,286 Posts
I just bought a pair of answer pro taper carbons at 780mm 4 x 8 geometry, 20 mm rise.

For reference I currently ride Sunline 745's with 35mm rise which I believe are 5 x 9 geometry.

How are the differences going to translate to riding?
Guess you'll find out tomorrow! STRAVAAAHHH!

Really though:
Lower rise will put more weight over the front.
Wider bars with no change in stem length will put more weight over the front.

For a swoopy/flowing/climbing trail like pace been, probly be all good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stem size will impact how it feels as well. With bars that long if you go as short as possible with the stem it will help with the handling characteristics of the bike a lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts