Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have been reading a lot of posts and have not really written much in all the years that I have been a member of this group. I am really interested in purchasing a good pedaling, mid travel trail bike that I can learn to get air time and have more fun.

I am 6'2" and weigh about 210 out the shower. I currently own an XL 29er that is slightly too large, but has saved me from some serious screw ups with its stability. Two years ago, I bought a Transition Bottlerocket and never felt comfortable on it. It is too small and not built to be friendly on the trails and the local bike park is above my skill level. The only place the bike felt right was at Mountain Creek Bike park and Blue mountain in Pennsylvania.

Since making a mistake with the Transition (good bike but bad for me), I have really been interested in riding as many bikes as I can. I have ridden a Canfield the One, a Knolly Chilcotin, a Rocky Mountain Altitude? 650 and a Trek Remedy 650. I loved the Knolly, but felt too big on it. I don't remember the set up, but it was a large. The Trek fit the best, but I would like to try others before I lock myself down. I will have to sell both my 29er hard tail and the Transition to purchase the next bike so I can wait it out.

Bikes that I am considering are ones that I can test that are within a 2 hour drive of Phila, Pa. I really would like to know if any bike shops/riders of these brands are this close: Norco Sight, Devinici Troy, Knolly Warden and Turner Burner, Transition Bandit. I really like the looks of the Canfield Balance, but 160mm of travel may be too much for me. I really want a frame so I can put some color on the bike and a RS Pike 150 SA fork.

I know that people are getting killer deals on the carbon Devinci and Norco, but I want to be able to compare the bikes in the same material so as to not have any biases.

I know that Dirtfest is coming to western PA and would love to attend, but I don't know what brands will be there besides Pivot, Niner, Specialized and Trek.

I am still waiting for reports on the knolly and canfield, but can some of you who are able to ride these bikes in aluminum put some details in this post please.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hey there. I just moved from the Philly area. I started doing my research before moving, and as such looked for demos for the Troy and Norco Sight. There are dealers for both brands within a couple hours of there, but none that had either bike at that time. Hopefully that's changed. I would do the easy thing and go on Devinci.com and norco.com and use their dealer locator. Call them and see what they have. When I was making my phone calls it was a couple months back.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Bikes that I am considering are ones that I can test that are within a 2 hour drive of Phila, Pa. I really would like to know if any bike shops/riders of these brands are this close: Norco Sight, Devinici Troy, Knolly Warden and Turner Burner, Transition Bandit. I really like the looks of the Canfield Balance, but 160mm of travel may be too much for me. I really want a frame so I can put some color on the bike and a RS Pike 150 SA fork.

I know that people are getting killer deals on the carbon Devinci and Norco, but I want to be able to compare the bikes in the same material so as to not have any biases.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
There is a new bike shop in Philly called Philadelphia Bikesmith. They are a Norco and Giant dealer. They have a large Sight to Demo. I demo'd their Sight and then bought my own from them. Great Guys. Their shop is located 19th and Spring garden. They also have a Giant Trance to demo. Ask for Max (owner/salesman/mechanic/leader of shop mtb rides on Sundays).

Goodluck!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Nice! As far as your selection goes, one thing I will say is the about the Turner Burner. I am sure with the DW link set up, it rides great. But I'm shallow and if I'm spending that kind of money, I want it to look sick and ride sick. I'm sure I'll get crucified for this, but to me, the Burner's aesthetics were very underwhelming. Small tubes, blah paint job. Again, I'm sure its a great bike, but it was very underwhelming to me up close.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Goldberm, I went in there today and will be riding the Norco Sight sitting in the shop. Now we just have to wait for the weather to cooperate. As soon as the trees leaf, the Wiss will be in super quick dry mode.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Nice! As far as your selection goes, one thing I will say is the about the Turner Burner. I am sure with the DW link set up, it rides great. But I'm shallow and if I'm spending that kind of money, I want it to look sick and ride sick. I'm sure I'll get crucified for this, but to me, the Burner's aesthetics were very underwhelming. Small tubes, blah paint job. Again, I'm sure its a great bike, but it was very underwhelming to me up close.
Did you actually ride it, or are you judging it purely by the way it looks?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks Goldberm, I went in there today and will be riding the Norco Sight sitting in the shop. Now we just have to wait for the weather to cooperate. As soon as the trees leaf, the Wiss will be in super quick dry mode.
I'm glad you found the shop.

I loved that Sight when I demo'd it. It goated me into riding off trail in challenginf terrain that I nver even considered before. It always went where I wanted it to go and I never felt like I was fighting my line. It left me grinning and wanting more. However, it was a heavy build. I think they've since switched the tires and it lost over a pound.

I asked them to build me an aluminum Sight for 28 lbs or less. My final build came in way below that.

I never realized how important a great shop can be. The guys at that shop are about half the reason why I bought the bike from them.

I haven't ridden Wis with the Sight, but as soon as the dry weather comes I'll be going on the shop rides their with Max.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts