Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motolite geometry!

Well, we couls talk about Pat Hus, but , oh heck lets spend a minute or two
speculating about the man behind Titus:
Does 'the Hus' like to play golf on Saturtdays ?
Is he the kind of guy you'd like to have a beer with ?

Ok, thats my contribution to the nonsense started by the sockman from Heeuuuston Woods.
Now for the real reason for my post. (Pat Hus and Howard Lindsay probably occasionally
play golf together - that wouldnt be too much of a stretch. Maybe even with those
Viatek carbon clubs. Imagine how far you can zing the ball with one of those !)

Allright, before I get carried away with the nonsense, here's my real reason for posting:

I recently had a chance to try a Motolite on a famous tech downhill in my area known
as La Milagrosa. Some of you may have heard of that, certainly if you live in AZ you
have. This was a buddy's old Motolite, the version with the Spec. rear end, not the
current one. I was very impressed overall with what you could do on the bike. I cleaned
some stuff I wouldnt have dreamed of trying on my XC bike. I think everyone else on
this ride was riding Intenses with more travel, but I felt very confident on the ML
going down down all but the knarliest sections. This seems like it would
be a really good choice for an AM bike. My only reservation is the geometry.
The seat angle is 71.75. This would seem to put you in kind of a rearward position
on real long steep, seated climbs, wouldn't it ? I was wondering how folks who take
the ML on more XC type rides compensate for this. Before that I should ask if anyone is familiar with the old version of the ML, and how the geometry differs from the new,
strut based version. Cheers!
He had a downhill fork on it, so the geometry was slack. I am considering a ML.
On this ride I
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
demo_slug said:
at least you think you are funny.
No worse than other stuff I've seen on this forum that people
think is funny. I thought it would be interesting to ask a serious ques.,
under the guise of being nonsensical. Havent other people done this ?
And I'm giving Titus props without saying anything
negative about the company. Isn't that worthy of a smilie ? Ok, maybe I need
to say something more in the line of gushing praise -------------- maybe after I've
ridden one more.
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,686 Posts
To answer your question, the Motolite climbs very well if you match it with an adjustable travel fork like the Talas. The rear weight bias is awesome going downhill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
Climbs like a dream with a 07 Talas set at 100mm or an 06 Talas wound down to 90mm. When I got the 07 Talas there was a tiny bit of lifting of the front on steep climbs. This was settled by taking out one spacer below the stem, now it is perfect.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
I don't know that Demo Slug meant any offense to your original post.... In all honesty I really don't understand what you wanted to accomplish. Anyhow...

I too was a little curious about the seat post angle. I think it is a little slack. It could be a litte steeper, but I simply move the seat forward just a little and all is good. Zorg makes a good point too about it being good for descents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I was thinking also. You want the rear bias going downhill.
Dialing down the the Talas to 100mm would steepen up the geometry.
Its hard to find perfection in one bike. Theres always going one little
thing here or there ...
I havent gotten to do a long steep climb on an ML yet,, but I think the fun
factor going down probably outweighs whatever youre giving up on the
climbs. On the ride we went on, there was a steep climb to get to the beginning of the downhill which we mostly walked, but that was so steep I think you'd be mostly walking that on any bike.
There was some climbing later on, it wasnt super steep, but I thought the ML
overall handled it very well. If you tried to get out of the saddle in the granny
there was little bit of bob, but not enough to bother me, really. I found that if you
could stay in the middle ring, the handling up rocky sections is very good, you
could power right up stuff out of the saddle, maintaining a consistent spin
wasnt too hard, really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mcgrath said:
I don't know that Demo Slug meant any offense to your original post.... In all honesty I really don't understand what you wanted to accomplish. Anyhow...

I too was a little curious about the seat post angle. I think it is a little slack. It could be a litte steeper, but I simply move the seat forward just a little and all is good. Zorg makes a good point too about it being good for descents.
Yeah, now I kind of agree that to put the reference to the company in there didnt make any sense if that was not what the thread was about.
I put that reference in there basically to annoy the cheezy online vendor who will go
nameless. He's mischaracterized statements I've made in the past, but I think I'll take the high road from now on and ignore the guy, its
not worth offending other people also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,470 Posts
I think the seat tube angle is slack so people can run a 4" fork, the 4" setting in back, and have viable XC angles.

In 5" mode it's no big deal, just run an in-line seatpost. And if you prefer a longer fork, than use an in-line setapost and move the saddle forward a bit. So it's a non-issue really.

Not sure what you were talking about with the "older specialized rear end" vs. the "new strut" rear end. They are the same design, just different materials.

Downhill fork? Really? Like a 888 or fox 40? Sweet! :eekster:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FM said:
I think the seat tube angle is slack so people can run a 4" fork, the 4" setting in back, and have viable XC angles.
I think you could onto something there. It seems like the reason tho would be to keep it
from being too xc-ish in the 4" mode, wouldnt it ? Wouldnt the 4" mode seat angle
automatically be a little steeper than the 5" mode seat angle ?

FM said:
In 5" mode it's no big deal, just run an in-line seatpost. And if you prefer a longer fork, than use an in-line setapost and move the saddle forward a bit. So it's a non-issue really.
Not sure what that is. Is it offset to go more straight than back ?

FM said:
Not sure what you were talking about with the "older specialized rear end" vs. the "new strut" rear end. They are the same design, just different materials.
The original Motolite had a rear end similar to the FSR. At some point, not sure
which year it was, they switched to the current strut-based rear end. (Perhaps to
improve stiffness ?)

FM said:
Downhill fork? Really? Like a 888 or fox 40? Sweet! :eekster:
It was a marz bomber eta. Perhaps not quite that downhill.
 

·
Bike to the Bone...
Joined
·
8,290 Posts
le_buzz said:
.....
The original Motolite had a rear end similar to the FSR. At some point, not sure
which year it was, they switched to the current strut-based rear end. (Perhaps to
improve stiffness ?)
....
??? Well, there was a 2000 or 2001 ML, but I think that the currend overal desince (since 2005) there hasn't been any changes. On the 2005 Ml, it had a narrow chainstay, that limited rear tires to about 2.2 or so at the most. You had the option to buy a freeride lowers that let's you put wider tires and it's a little bit more stiff. For 2007, they have a hydroformed (I think) chainstay, and the seatstays are carbon fiber.

But, on all this changes, geometry hasn't changed, and on all are horst link (which Specialized dubs as FSR).
 

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
You're just not.....

...funny.
Know one knows what you were trying to say about Titus management team. Some kind of grudge it seems, if you look at all your Titus posts.
Reviewing a 5 year old, out of production bike is only helpful to a few people.
Make your way to a bikeshop and try out the current Motolite and report back with your impressions. But leave out the slurs.
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bikerbob.com said:
...funny.
Know one knows what you were trying to say about Titus management team. Some kind of grudge it seems, if you look at all your Titus posts.
Reviewing a 5 year old, out of production bike is only helpful to a few people.
Make your way to a bikeshop and try out the current Motolite and report back with your impressions. But leave out the slurs.
Bob
Wasn't trying to say anything actually. It was meant to be nonsensical, as were some
of the posts you have made. I was trying to get info on the current Titus and that was the only thing I had to compare with, as there's no bike shop that sells Titus in my area, so I dont know how get reviewing out of that.....
........ I dont think anyone else interpreted what I said as slurs, but I
think the Titus management topic has been discussed ad-nauseum and it's time
time to move on anyway, so .....thanks to those who replied for the info.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top