Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know DT's got the Fox 32 Float RLC 140 15QR spec'd in his build kits. I owned a 140mm Pike last year. I have two Revelations and a Fox 32 100 RLC, so I'm kinda familiar with all of these.

However, it seems there's four forks I could consider for a '09 Spot build, given my xc leanings (please don't suggest a Lyric). Let's keep it to non-U Turn or Talas style just to keep things even.

Fox 32 Float RLC 140mm 15 QR I'm guessing I'd need a new front wheel built to
handle the 15 mm "axle"

Fox 32 Float RLC 140 mm 9mm QR No prob, got lots of QR front wheels

Revelation 140, Maxle Lite I have a 20mm front wheel already built, from my
sold Spot

Pike 140 Again, I already have the front wheel

Are any of these a clear winner? I did ride the 9mm QR version of the Fox in Moab and it was just as smooth as my Fox 32 100 RLC. Are the Rockshox and Fox forks even as far as durability and performance? Is a 140mm Talas a worthy alternative to a Pike U-Turn Dual Air (I only ride air forks).

The only reason I'm asking these questions is it's a new day, new offerings from these two big fork players and maybe there's things now that I need to know when making a choice.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
I'd add the Magura THOR into that list and only the RS for me Fox wouldn't be on my list only at 160mm maybe, the damping is superior in my opinion in RS! And I'm anti 15mm poo :D

Pikes a proven winner still get people trying to hunt one down! so its a no brainier! top performer!

The new Rev in the Lightweight may or may not be the real deal I'm not sure if they've improved the internals or not but should only get better!

Thor looks an interesting beast stiff sexy light! if in the 140mm market these too would top my list, if I wanted to pound a fork a bit more I'd PIKE it...

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I'll second the Thor. I've had it on the bike for 2 months now, it is truly amazing upgrade over the RS Pike. Lighter, much more supple and tunable. If you decide you want to upgrade (by buying a Maxle Lite), even better. Travel adjust is faster then the U-Turn. The only down side (if this is one) was I had to upgrade from 160mm to 180 (or 185mm) brake rotor. No biggie.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I ride a Push'd Pike and for me it works great. I wouldn't want to ride any other 32mm stanction fork - well may be the new Revelation since it shares the Pike's internals. BTW, DT has a Push tuned Pike on his personal 09 Spot.

(EDIT - sorry I missed the don't mention Lyrik line, oh well.) Another option for the new spot is a Lyrik with the 15mm travel adjust spacer to take it down to 145mm - might be an interesting setup.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
LncNuvue said:
I ride a Push'd Pike and for me it works great. I wouldn't want to ride any other 32mm stanction fork - well may be the new Revelation since it shares the Pike's internals. BTW, DT has a Push tuned Pike on his personal 09 Spot.

Another option for the new spot is a Lyrik with the 15mm travel adjust spacer to take it down to 145mm - might be an interesting setup.
Luc XC is XC :D read brotha he said esp don't mention the Lyrik or 160mm Talas options LOL..

:p

Like the Pushed Pike option esp if ya already got a PIKE makes good sense! And well if the Master has one even better, I remember when DT rode a Pushed DHXc on the Spot with Ti spring!

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
I would never put a Revelation over a Pike on the spot.

Of your choices, I can't see any other answer than the Pike.

If you want lighter weight, don't ride the spot. But don't compromise the ride of the spot with a noodly fork. That is sick.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
I loved the Revelation on my old Burner. With a 20mm TA and now 140mm of travel it looks like a real winner for the 09 in XCish trim.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I don't follow you Lidarman - the 09 Revelation is 140 mm and comes with 20mm maxle light now - it's basically an air Pike with a hollowed out quick release lever on the maxle. How is that noodly? and the Thor comes with the maxle found on the Pike.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Well its hard to go wrong with the RS offering's PIKE or Revs if the damping the same as the PIKEs with Push options there's plenty of life left in PIKEs and options!

I'm not convinced in 15mm, people can make there own mind up on that there call,
the Magura will be a stiff chassis, already some saying some good stuff about its damping and should be a good bet they have good service and warranty hard to go wrong there!

Good choices in this category, I can;t see the point in limiting ya self to 15mm axle @ 140mm travel just not logical to me at all, but everyone to there own, its like if 1.5 head tube std was invented first and then someone came along and tried to convince everyone that 1/18th was better all of a sudden just don't get it at all!

Good choice problems to have anyways!

·
whoa!
1,277 Posts
xcguy said:
I know DT's got the Fox 32 Float RLC 140 15QR spec'd in his build kits. I owned a 140mm Pike last year. I have two Revelations and a Fox 32 100 RLC, so I'm kinda familiar with all of these. However, it seems there's four forks I could consider for a '09 Spot build, given my xc leanings (please don't suggest a Lyric). Let's keep it to non-U Turn or Talas style just to keep things even.

Fox 32 Float RLC 140mm 15 QR I'm guessing I'd need a new front wheel built to
handle the 15 mm "axle"

Fox 32 Float RLC 140 mm 9mm QR No prob, got lots of QR front wheels

Revelation 140, Maxle Lite I have a 20mm front wheel already built, from my
sold Spot

Pike 140 Again, I already have the front wheel

Are any of these a clear winner? I did ride the 9mm QR version of the Fox in Moab and it was just as smooth as my Fox 32 100 RLC. Are the Rockshox and Fox forks even as far as durability and performance? Is a 140mm Talas a worthy alternative to a Pike U-Turn Dual Air (I only ride air forks)..
Holy smokes xc, , , you build up bikes so much its hard to keep up.
Last time I heard, you had started to export them out of state to relatives garages. :) :thumbsup:

BTW, , , good subject.
I got the same things on my mind for an '08 Spot due to arrive any day now. . .

Are the Rockshox and Fox forks even as far as durability and performance?
I dunno the answer to that one cause I've only had RS. I went with a Reba initially because I'd been told by a couple decent bike mechanics (at the old Supergo) that RS were far easier to rebuild/service. I was also told by one of the peeps at Push that they use RS seals wherever they can because they are of a very high quality.

Maybe someone's got some input toward the Fox vs RS serviceability issues and whether they both tend to be DIY (or not)???

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Shin Music said:
Maybe someone's got some input toward the Fox vs RS serviceability issues and whether they both tend to be DIY (or not)???
I had a Fox Talas 140 on the Spot and both Rebas and Revelations on the Burner. I often tore open the RS stuff and it was easy to service and understand the internals. The Fox was not so easy, and I never dared to mess with the TALAS side due the need for a proprietary Fox tool to deal with the mechanism. RS customer service is also top notch if you decide to send it in to them. Fox seems less CS oriented.

·
Registered
9,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, after One Pike, Three Rebas (one PUSHed and one in a relative's garage, you're right) and Two Revelations, I'm sold on Rockshox. And I also liked how that Fox felt on the DW Spot I test drove in Moab, very balanced front and back. Neither my Fox 32 100 RLC or Rebas ever get more than 3" of travel so "my fork doesn't full travel" pretty much describes all of them if the sag is dialed in properly to begin with. For me, at least.

Just wondering what others thought of the four choices I laid out. So far no one has said anything about the 15mm QR that Fox has come up with. Is that a solution to a problem that doesn't exist? For all I know Fox has pulled ahead of Rockshox, or maybe it's the other way around, as far as durability or maintenance issues go. Of course, the fact that I've never had any problems with any of my Rockshox forks says a lot to me.

Magura, huh?

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I have owned 2 Rebas (QR and Maxle Light), 1 Pike and 1 Revelation (QR version) and am a fan of RS - I have a Fox 36 too and like the Fox damping but the 15mm thing irks me beyond belief...if I were building up an 09 Spot it would be between a Thor and a Revelaton with Maxle Light.

·
whoa!
1,277 Posts
cutthroat said:
I had a Fox Talas 140 on the Spot and both Rebas and Revelations on the Burner. I often tore open the RS stuff and it was easy to service and understand the internals. The Fox was not so easy, and I never dared to mess with the TALAS side due the need for a proprietary Fox tool to deal with the mechanism. RS customer service is also top notch if you decide to send it in to them. Fox seems less CS oriented.
Thanks for the response, its good to hear about your servicing experience, , , it pretty much confirms what I'd heard too. . .

Since you run both the RS and the Fox on radically different bikes it may be unfair to ask, but do you have a sense of any performance differences between the Talas and the Rev that are worth considering? It sounds like that may be part of what xc is wondering too. . .

·
Registered
9,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Shin Music said:
Thanks for the response, its good to hear about your servicing experience, , , it pretty much confirms what I'd heard too. . .

Since you run both the RS and the Fox on radically different bikes it may be unfair to ask, but do you have a sense of any performance differences between the Talas and the Rev that are worth considering? It sounds like that may be part of what xc is wondering too. . .
I bought the Fox I have to put on my Superlight. I never really had any complaints about it, at least after I realized that I didn't get much more travel out of my Rebas either. It's real buttery smooth, light, stiff...really, no complaints. It just went about its business with only one air chamber (pumped only to 60 psi for my 165 lbs). The only way I got "full" travel was to drop it down to 15 lbs and run two inches of sag. Consequently I never got (get) more than 2 3/4" travel, but it's a sweet 2 3/4". Pics I took of the demo DW Spot's Fox also show minimal travel but again, the travel is so sweet you don't really think to make an issue of it's lack of "fullness".

My only complaint was that its retail was about $650 and I was picking up my Rebas for anywhere from $400 to high 400s. It just didn't seem to be worth that much more than my Rockshox. FWIW, I've never paid more than $500 for my Revelations or my Pike, while similar Fox's are still well over $600.

Here's pics of "full" travel on the Spot and Flux in Moab. Again, both were so balanced front and back it wasn't at all an issue. Still, it's always surprising when after going down off a 2 foot drop straight onto the front wheel there isn't a dust line somewhere up around 1/4" from the top of the stanchion.

·
whoa!
1,277 Posts
xcguy said:
Of course, the fact that I've never had any problems with any of my Rockshox forks says a lot to me.

Magura, huh?
I've never had to do any work on my Reba either. I can't really imagine there could be any more adjustability in a fork either.

As for the Magura forks, I've heard good stuff about them in general but I've got their brake sets. The brakes are top notch, but holy crap, , , $28 for a pair of brake pads!!! I wouldn't want to find out what some major internal part of one of their forks would cost. Visualize the cost of a replacement camshaft in an Audi A6 for instance. . .

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.