Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The Formula Oro Puro with the Hope Mini rotors are my new favorites. :thumbsup: Night and Day over the Magura Marta SL, that always seem to have some type of pad drag.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
From all the discbrakes I use(d) (Shimano XT 4-pot, Avid BB7 and Avid Juicy Carbon) I'd have to say the BB7's are the most user friendly.
XT 4-pot's are good but teh tollerances are just a bit to tight, but I still use them.
The Juicy Carbon's where OK till the sticky piston thing started, still figuring out how to fix it.
Perhaps a new piston and seal because everyting I tried before faild.

The BB7's are the brakes I use with the least problems.
Always smooth, always strong and no sticking pistons or pads dragging the rotor.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I really like the look of those new XT's... :thumbsup:

What is the performance like?

In order of preference for me... Formula, Hope, Shimano, Avid, Hayes.

R.

·
mtbr member
249 Posts
Magura, Hope, and Hayes - never tried 'em but they all seem to have their proponents.

Avid Juicys- I've owned several sets I don't much like them.
Formula - I've got a set of the new Mega brakes on a bike and I like them - Avid done right IMHO.
4 Pot Shimano XT's - really nice brakes, powerful and reliable I wish I'd never replaced them with the Avids.
'07 XTR - my all time favorite brakes. With Goodridge lines and a decent sized rotor they're close to perfect for me. Light, powerful and very consistent/reliable. I really like that on my Sir9 I can run the IS calipers with 180mm front, 160mm rear rotors and no adaptors.

'08 XT's look really promising, they'll be on my next build.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've only used Avid BB7s, Juicy 5s and 7s so far. I really dig em! The switch from V-Brakes to BB7s was awesome. The switch from BB7s to Juicys was freaking sweet too. The "turkey gobble" noise can be very loud and annoying(depending on the day) but I just can't bring myself to pay double for Magura, Hope or Formula. I'm not saying those are or aren't a step above Avid because I have never used them. Maybe on the next bike I can swing it... :]

So due to my limited options I vote for Avid Juicy 7s:thumbsup:

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,322 Posts
Are we talking 29er specific brakes here? :p

I'd say anything with mineral oil. The whole DOT fluid thing really irks me.....Love my Saint calipers, mated to 08 XT levers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I can only compare to BB-7's and Hope Mini's, but the set up I run now is WAAY better than either of these: XTR calipers with XT levers, don't know what year but it's pre-post mount and pre-servo lever.
BB-7's= easy to work on but SUCK in power and modulation in comparison to either Hope or the S.
Hope= good brake, but when it goes, difficult for me to get back into adjustment/ working properly- other's experience may vary.
Shimano= better than either in function, super-easy to service- really, no BS.

·
I just passed you
181 Posts
Martas. Once they're all shim, SHIM-a-rood, it is a set and forget brake. Modulate great.

I've got the 180/160 combination with red vented spider. Silver King hubs...red SRAM 990 cassette and those sweet red rotors... OOOHHH AHHHHH!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Mike Brown said:
Shimano= better than either in function, super-easy to service- really, no BS.
well obviously we agree... I've had bb7s, I've used juicy 7s, and I spend a lot of time working on hayes, avids and hopes. What I don't see often is any Shimano brake for that matter.

I'm loving my XTs... they're '07s

·
Category Winner
6,079 Posts
No matter how much I think about it and try other people's brakes I'm still running Mags with G2 calipers with some after market levers and an 8" front.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
Well...

Cost, ease of maintenance, performance, and reliability all factored in:

(in no particular order)

Avid Mechs with Avid Ultimate levers. Great brakes. Very easy to work on. Good match for a KISS SS.

Hayes are OK. I never got whats up with all the low ratings. Especially for $79 a brake it's hard to beat. You just have to know how to bleed'm right.

Hope Mini's (older version). Too finicky. Squealed a lot.

Magura's. The sets I've tried always had a sticky, slow lever return. Felt like someone smeared them with hot tar. They were light but I didn't think they were that great. Set up using shims really sucks.

The Oro's and '08 XTs look nice but never tried them.

·
Bikeoholic
537 Posts
I've ridden Juicy 5's, Juicy 7's and Avid BB7's all and all when I think of "best" I take everything into consideration. (Price, Power, Modulation, Feel, Maintenance, etc) so being that I'm not made of money and I can spend the money on much more important things I vote for the BB7's simply because they work and they work well. They aren't bling but they stop you and don't make your fingers hurt at the end of the day for doing it. (that is if we are talking about XC riding nothing too extreme).

1 - 20 of 70 Posts