Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one of those threads when your bored.

I fell in love with a certain white MB-1 with a threaded fork and quill stem, so I ripped off my threadless oversized tubing fork, headset and stem and replace them with my threaded stuff. I think threaded gets a bad wrap, so I'm "fighting the power" and going back to basics, back to what I think might even be better than threadless.

So post'em if you gots'em.

Attachments

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Uummm .....

I'm not sure if I agree that threaded is better for any special reason, but I also like it alot. I Have a CK threaded headset on my Bontrager and I think it looks awesome. Very elegant.

Your bike looks great too, BTW. Classy Classic. Post it on VRC and see what kind of responses you get.

·
Drinkin' Buddy
155 Posts
Here's my shout out to the threaded stems

This lovely big and chunky softride stem is on my townie singlespeed-ed bianchi now, and seems to work okay for its vintage. I have never really tried it in the dirt though. Somewhere in a box of bike parts I also have a threaded Girvin flexstem that I want to try out as well. Threaded is great for playing around with bar height without using spacers or saying "Damn, I cut the steerer too short too soon!"

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got a threaded question........
Does anyone have experience with running threaded forks with a threadless headset of the same diameter? I've heard of dudes cutting off the threaded section of long forks and running them threadless... Would you even need to do that? Why not just clamp your stem onto threads? I'm a miserly-type, and don't like spending money or doing things right. Any info much appreciated.

·
HTFU and Ride
1,216 Posts
Blowout said:
This lovely big and chunky softride stem is on my townie singlespeed-ed bianchi now, and seems to work okay for its vintage. I have never really tried it in the dirt though. Somewhere in a box of bike parts I also have a threaded Girvin flexstem that I want to try out as well. Threaded is great for playing around with bar height without using spacers or saying "Damn, I cut the steerer too short too soon!"
I have an older version of that stem. Thinkin' about using it on an old school build up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts