Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Sultan gets alot of love over on the Turner board but sightings are slim here on the 29er board. What's up?? How 'bout some Sultan's :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
tscheezy said:
Pics area bit dated. I'll try to update them soonish.

<<amazing pics>>
Good Lord! That's about the baddest FS bike I've ever seen, especially the front cockpit/fork.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Here is version 1.0. It's currently under the knife for version 1.2. Upgrades in version 1.2:
- Race Face Turbine LPs (110/74 BCD) with Blackspire Super Pro 34T/24T (it's currently set up as a 1x5 with 32T up front)
- SRAM front mech
- Racing Ralphs are back on for racing season with a new 2.4 up front instead of the 2.25 in this pic
- Ergon something or other grips (same one grips as on Padre's rig)
- went from a 180mm rear rotor back to a 160mm rotor - less skidding, still enough power from a rear 160.
- Oh, and the biggest peformance mod - I put the black OEM seat post clamp back on.

Minor stuff really, the biggest gain will be some more top end with the 34T and a granny gear for the real suckage. The rear end on the Sultan is actually quite good when I'm out of the saddle hammering b/c I don't have the granny - however, I thought it prudent to have granny option for the 6-hr race in May.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Nice looking Sultans that for sure :thumbsup: HJoping to get a test ride off one this summer and\ hopefully an El Rey to see how they compare to the RIP9 original and with the new beefed up rear stays and rockers.

Tscheezy, you're a good guy, full of tech knowledge and helpful, but please posting a lot of pics of one bike from varying angles of 5 degrees or less isn't really necessary is it? One rear shot 45 degrees isn't a whole lot different than another at 50 degrees etc, etc and so on. Sorry you take great shots of great locals etc, but this is about the 4th or 5th time I've seen this series of pics posted in it's entirety.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
LyNx said:
4th or 5th time I've seen this series of pics posted in it's entirety.
It's part of the process in your journey towards Sultanism :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Picture of last season's setup.

Here is what's on tap for this season:

* Black Cane Creak 110 headset
* Black 36H I9 Classic hubs, 10mm rear, 20mm front, laced to Stans Flow rims
* Longer travel 20mm axle fork, F135 or new Reba if they ship soon
* Smaller brakes, 180F and 160R
* Lower rise and slightly narrower carbon bars, not sure which one yet
* 70mm X4 Stem
* Black Hope QR Seatpost binder, just a color change, no more red, just black or silver bits
* Fizik Zeak saddle
* Look Quartz pedals for my clipped in days

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,119 Posts
Just got in from my very 1st ride

I picked up a raw Sultan mid December, thinking I'd take my time and make a winter build project out of it. The frame was a bit too raw for me, so I spent just a little time sanding and polishing. I'm pretty sure I won't maintain the polish, but at least it should stay much less industrial looking and suits my eye better.

Over the last four months I've slowly accumulated parts, and the last to show was the fork this week. I have a 5.5 Spot rocker I may try out later, but for now tscheezy has it to run a back-to-back vs. a PUSH rocker. I went ahead and bolted on a Spot 5.3 rocker for today's ride, along with a Vanilla coil shock. My favorite riding area was 2 degrees F this morning, and didn't want to take a chance with an air shock. The rocker/coil combo felt great. Our trails are still snowy, we've seen two feet of new powder in the last two weeks, and moose are gravitating to our trails. Their hoof divots make riding pretty rough, but I must say I was impressed how much of an edge was taken off the roughness with the big wheel and coil suppleness.

Here's a few pics, it was super overcast, so my apologies for their darkness. I'll get more on a nicer day.

This bike is a real cruiser, like it begs to be motored to keep its momentum up. I've built it on the heavy side with stout parts, and I'm sure its in the 31 lb range, but it doesn't feel like it. Then again, I didn't take on any sustained steep hills today either.

Thanks to jncarpenter for the frame decals. The look reminds me of my old polished XCE, but the ride characteristics are totally different. In a much improved way......:thumbsup:

Rando

Attachments

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
tscheezy said:
Girlybike! Here's an even badder setup:

Just a quick Q regarding this set up. :confused:

Does the LM+Endo combo clear the stantions on the DUC 32 ok with the 29er conversion spacers installed ?

I know it does on the SC 32 but was always curious about the DUC.

Thanks DR FG. :thumbsup:

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Dr Feelygood ! said:
Does the LM+Endo combo clear the stantions on the DUC 32 ok with the 29er conversion spacers installed ?
The 29er limiting spacers do the same thing in both the DUC and SC. If one works, the other works. That said, there is less space between the fork legs on the DUC because they flare near the crown, so space is tighter for the rather large Endo/LM combo and rub will happen. I built it up as a proof of concept, but the SC32 is really the fork to run for phatbike applications. Never any rub there.

LyNx- I deleted some pics to spare your sensibilities. :p

Good stuff, Rando. I tried out your rockers and shock today. :thumbsup:

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
tscheezy said:
That said, there is less space between the fork legs on the DUC because they flare near the crown, so space is tighter for the rather large Endo/LM combo and rub will happen. I built it up as a proof of concept, but the SC32 is really the fork to run for phatbike applications. Never any rub there.

Thanks tscheezy for the confirmation...... looks like I will have to get some SC32`s.

Cheers, Dr FG.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Nothing to do with my sensibilities, just it wasn't that long ago that I browsed the WWW on dial-up and remember first viewing your Sultan thread on said dial-up. Thankfully I'm on nice speedy "512"+ wireless now and it's not a problem for me anymore, but I remember my dial-up brethren of old. Oh and BTW checked out your thread from todays ride :thumbsup: as usual and thankful for not being on dial-up anymore. :D

tscheezy said:
..............................LyNx- I deleted some pics to spare your sensibilities. :p..............

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,366 Posts
Here's Mine Right After It Got to Me

This was a Turner Interbike demo bike from 2007 (pre-production with a different BB than the production ones)

Classic couch shot

And the garage door shot to give a little better contrast

There's been some updates since this picture was taken. I'm going to wait until after Sea Otter before I shoot some pictures with the updated kit.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts