Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

4921 - 4937 of 4937 Posts

·
Community Manager at Trek
451 Posts
Cool, but would you recommend them to a big rider? I'm 6'8" and weigh 245lbs. I always destroy rear wheels. I've had the rear relaced once already after popping spokes a couple different times last fall. No big jumps or drops. Just some chunky trail riding.
Lifetime warranty on the Line Pro 40s, but I think they would be fine at your weight. Carbon wheels don't usually have a weight limit, but I'm at 200# and have no trouble riding through the chunk.

What wheels are you riding on now?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Stock wheels, Duroc 50's with Bontrager rapid drive 54 hubs (I added the 3 pawls for 108 poe) and now DT Competition spokes. New spokes have been holding up so far, but still want a lighter and stiffer wheelset.

·
451 Posts
Stock wheels, Duroc 50's with Bontrager rapid drive 54 hubs (I added the 3 pawls for 108 poe) and now DT Competition spokes. New spokes have been holding up so far, but still want a lighter and stiffer wheelset.
Ah, yea the Duroc 50 wheels are not the best wheels but are a great value wheel. Stock spokes were nothing to brag about.

The Line Pro 40 wheels would be a 28 spoke count with DT Swiss Aerolite 14/17G bladed spokes and Alpina alloy locking nipples - a strong combination!

·
Registered
398 Posts
20210223_162647.jpg

Got my new wheels today. Went with the Line Pro 40's. Initial impressions are very good. Light and stiff. Notice a huge difference in stiffness and steering precision when cornering hard on the street. Won't get on the trail any time soon though. Warm temps and melting snow so gonna be a couple weeks until I get a real ride in on them.

·
451 Posts
View attachment 1917886

Got my new wheels today. Went with the Line Pro 40's. Initial impressions are very good. Light and stiff. Notice a huge difference in stiffness and steering precision when cornering hard on the street. Won't get on the trail any time soon though. Warm temps and melting snow so gonna be a couple weeks until I get a real ride in on them.
Nice! I found the stiffness noticeable on the trail, you may too!

·
Registered
9 Posts

New-to-me 2013 Stache 8. Got it two weeks ago. This is my first MTB after not riding for 10+ years. Coming from a 2004 Specialized Hardrock with 26" wheels, about everything about this bike is new to me, but it feels amazingly natural. I expected a learning curve with the 29ers, but there wasn't one. From the get-go, I felt comfortable enough on this bike to take it out on a couple of smooth, rolling Southern Arizona trails with my 3-year-old riding in front. First time with tubeless tires, too, and I have to say, at the recommended 25psi, they feel a lot more squishy than I like. Running fast through turns startled me a bit at first, because things got really spongy. It felt like my old MTB when it had a flat. Does anyone have recommendations on that? Next, I probably need to adjust the fork sag. Already bought a shock pump. Now I just have to learn how to use it. :giggle:

·
Registered
367 Posts
It was actually a "trail" hardtail at the time! Wait til you actually look up a true XC hardtail from that era.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I still don't know the difference between "XC" and "Trail," LOL. I got back into MTB'ing after a 10-year hiatus, and boy, have things changed... Back in the day, I rode a $400 Specialized Hardrock with 26-inch tires, a coil fork and wire brakes, and that did everything I wanted it to do. 😁

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,248 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, I had no idea what a Stache was until I found a 2016 frameset second hand locally, I thought it was goofy but the reviews hooked me. I jumped into this thread with both feet!

I know that there has been lots of lamenting the cancelling of the Stache for the current model year. Let me challenge you guys with a question:

If you were the Product Manager at Trek, what changes / improvements / features would you propose for the 2022 model year Stache?

-Tom

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'd actually have one....

But in seriousness, there's a real gap in the market for a carbon hardtail with modern geometry but not full on "hardcore hardtail" geometry. Right now, we only have true XC race hard tails in carbon, something a hair out of date in the Santa Cruz Chameleon, and then **** like the Rocky Mountain Growler, any Chromag ever, or the Norco Torrent (none of which are carbon, but they're all pretty darn aggressive). We don't really have much in between. I'd design it still around 120mm of travel, but make it quite a bit longer per size, a much shorter seat tube length in each size, a ballpark ~66 HTA or so, and keep the rear end about the same - so you can pick your poison for length back there. Not entirely sure about BB height, probably roughly the same if not a hair lower - the higher BB is part of what makes the stache pretty fun still. You have the option of lowering it manually by running 2.4-2.6 tires. Also a steeper STA but nothing beyond a 75 degree - you want to be able to ride it all day on a variety of terrain - and adjust the frame so the ESTA stays the same in all sizes.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yeah, I had no idea what a Stache was until I found a 2016 frameset second hand locally, I thought it was goofy but the reviews hooked me. I jumped into this thread with both feet!

I know that there has been lots of lamenting the cancelling of the Stache for the current model year. Let me challenge you guys with a question:

If you were the Product Manager at Trek, what changes / improvements / features would you propose for the 2022 model year Stache?

-Tom
That’s an easy one for me......
I’d make it just like the 2016, full rigid only with a 12sp drivetrain and tubeless set up from the factory. Offered in aluminum or carbon. It really is that simple

·
Registered
639 Posts
Nostalgia rush! I bought this exact bike in 2013. It was my first 29er. I put a dropper post, 1x, short stem, wider bars on it soon after I bought it. I also put 2500 miles on it before selling it in 2016 to a friend (for $1000) whose college-age son is still riding it. He is pretty stoked to have such a nice bike. This one looks to be in great shape and appears all original. You lucked out.
I loved the Stache 8. It was a trail, perhaps down-country hardtail for its day. It has a nicely balanced geometry that was progressive-lite in 2013.
Put a dropper on that thing and you'll be ready for just about anything!

4921 - 4937 of 4937 Posts