Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

4901 - 4920 of 4926 Posts

·
Community Manager at Trek
414 Posts
Hey Mitch - THANK YOU this is exactly the info I needed. I've ridden this bike continuously for about 4 years now. Since I don't see ANY new Bikes I like better, I'm gonna overhaul this thing the best I can.

My fingers are crossed that in a year or two Trek will announce the 'super-stache 2.0'. Just my dream.
Happy to help! Hit me up if you get any other Stache Qs.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,231 Posts
You have the sentiment correct -- sales were declining -- but to say that 'no one' was buying it misses the mark. They still sold out of their production runs easily last summer, but they saw the #'s declining and decided to abort.

I think it's a bummer, but I'm guilty of lusting after one yet not pulling the trigger -- so in a way it's my fault... ;)

Still very, very much a niche offering.
No one was buying them in 2019 because of that ugly color they chose. Nothing goes with that color.

The market is still very much alive for 29+ rowdy hardtails. Esker sold out of their Japhy in size L and XL in less than 5 days and I just looked and now their size M is sold out as well. The bike was introduced less than two weeks ago.

·
42 Posts
Friend at a bike store (Trek Store) reckons there will be a new hardtail in 2022, because the Stache was still selling really well when it was available. He has no direct insight from guess so take this with a grain of salt. I really hope they bring a 29+ back... Or I might have to look at getting an 1150 and putting a suspension fork on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2019 Stache 7 and I’m taking the winter to get it clean and ready for next season. I’m also making some upgrades. I’ve got new wheels on the way and a new dropper to replace the janky line dropper. Has anyone recently done the charger damper upgrade for the Yari? Does it help? Anyone else switched forks and noticed a big change. I’m planning a service for my Yari so I’m sure it will feel better but wondering if I should make bigger changes. I was going to buy a FS in 2021 but with shortages I can’t ride anything and I refuse to spend that kind of $$$ without test rides. Doubling down on the Stache for now!

·
Registered
650 Posts

Been a while since I posted up a picture. Took a nice cold ride the other day. Lots of ice puddles hidden under a thin layer of styrofoamish snow. Was exciting.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
It's been fun...But it's time to go...

2018 Trek Stache AL custom adventure bike in size XL (21.5") with new drivetrain (brand new Sunrace 11-46 cassette, brand new Sram 32 chain ring, brand new 11spd Sram GX chain), Sram GX crank, Shimano XT 8000 11spd derailleur/shifter, Trek 1120 carbon fork, Shimano SLX brakes with brand new pads, FOX Transfer 175 dropper post, RaceFace SCIX 175 31.8 riser bar, Thomson 70 riser stem, Ergon saddle with Ti rails, Maxxis Minion DHF 3.0 tires on Ibis 938 wheelset (35mm internal width). Set up tubeless. Also includes brand new never mounted Bontrager 3.0 XR2 tires ($190 value for the set of tires). Really nice, clean, very well maintained bike that can be a single speed as well as full-on adventure bike! Bike shows no damage but does have normal wear and tear. $1800 or best offer. Buyer pays for all packing and shipping costs estimated at $200 unless it sells locally. SOLD!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I have a 2019 Stache 7 and I’m taking the winter to get it clean and ready for next season. I’m also making some upgrades. I’ve got new wheels on the way and a new dropper to replace the janky line dropper. Has anyone recently done the charger damper upgrade for the Yari? Does it help? Anyone else switched forks and noticed a big change. I’m planning a service for my Yari so I’m sure it will feel better but wondering if I should make bigger changes. I was going to buy a FS in 2021 but with shortages I can’t ride anything and I refuse to spend that kind of $$$ without test rides. Doubling down on the Stache for now!
I put in a Charger 2.1 (RC2) and a Debonair 2 (not the newest one). The Charger was a put in, don't worry about it, rarely think about it, once set up...and I would consider that a good thing. It is coming up due in another 40ish hours for an oil change, and I only expect it to work better with freshly degassed fluid, since my adjustments are (on the Stache) all middle-of-the-road. I rarely twiddle the adjusters now that I have something that works for me, unless I'm heading somewhere either greatly smoother/chunkier than my usual haunts. It stands up well, even now that I'm mashing on it as a single speed. It is in a totally different class than the MoCo damper that was in the fork.

The debonair is a bit more questionable, now (maybe look into a Luftkappe). I quite like the 'sag-into-it's-own-weight of the 2...and while I have a 3, as well, the character is better suited to the bike that it is on (rides high in the travel under static conditions). I had been using the green SKF seal kits on my rebuilds (worked great), but fell into a revised SRAM one (black SKF seals) with my last rebuild, and was pleased to note that it was almost the same performance. Buy either (though the greenies are still a bit slicker than the black ones, subjectively).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I hope Trek replaces the Stache in the lineup. I get so much versatility out of this bike!

In addition to the 3" and 2.6" tires I've just tried 2.2" Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros for the first time... the traction is NUTS!

The Stache just keeps proving itself over and over again to be the best bike I've ever owned.

-Tom

·
414 Posts
I hope Trek replaces the Stache in the lineup. I get so much versatility out of this bike!

View attachment 1913489

In addition to the 3" and 2.6" tires I've just tried 2.2" Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros for the first time... the traction is NUTS!

The Stache just keeps proving itself over and over again to be the best bike I've ever owned.

-Tom
Are you running this front and rear? How has the BB or pedal strikes been?

·
Registered
393 Posts

Bought this 2020 Stache 7 last may, changed grips and seat right away. Just put a 200mm dropper (PNW loam) and just ride the heck out of it. I'm a tall guy and can't believe I went back to a hartail. Also can't see myself going back to smaller tires, but they sure are hard to find. Plus the Stache looks to be discontinued which makes me sad, although I get the bike isn't for everyone. Really considering getting a nice set of wheels for this bad boy.

I've even taken this out on the snowy trails and it's done great. Big fan of the XR4's, great all-rounders.

·
Registered
737 Posts
View attachment 1914077

Bought this 2020 Stache 7 last may, changed grips and seat right away. Just put a 200mm dropper (PNW loam) and just ride the heck out of it. I'm a tall guy and can't believe I went back to a hartail. Also can't see myself going back to smaller tires, but they sure are hard to find. Plus the Stache looks to be discontinued which makes me sad, although I get the bike isn't for everyone. Really considering getting a nice set of wheels for this bad boy.

I've even taken this out on the snowy trails and it's done great. Big fan of the XR4's, great all-rounders.
Good looking bike, throw a set of carbon wheels on it, you won’t be disappointed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
... Just put a 200mm dropper (PNW loam) and just ride the heck out of it. ...
Wow, surprised to see that it fits!

You'll love a nice set of wheels. I have a wonderful set of alloys at 40 front / 35 rear (internal width) with 2.6" Vittoria Barzo front / Mezcal rears and the bike really came alive dropping some rotational weight.

-Tom

·
414 Posts
Leaning toward Bontrager Line Pro 40's. Not completely committed to them yet. I'm open to suggestions.
Well, you know I am a little bias, but I have one season on my Line Pro 40s and these things are wicked sweet. I've noticed a lot of stability with the bike right away with the upgrade and I've had a better time flying through the chunk with them than my prior alloy hoops.

Definitely a recommendation on my end.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Definitely a recommendation on my end.
Cool, but would you recommend them to a big rider? I'm 6'8" and weigh 245lbs. I always destroy rear wheels. I've had the rear relaced once already after popping spokes a couple different times last fall. No big jumps or drops. Just some chunky trail riding.

4901 - 4920 of 4926 Posts