Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

4881 - 4900 of 4926 Posts

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,418 Posts
Trek did it. They killed off one of the most iconic bikes in their lineup. DOA, the Stache.
Trek seems to be giving up on the MTB market, or at least oversimplifying their lineup. They have been trying to erase any mention of Fisher's legacy, hence why they took his name off of his bikes, stole the G2 geometry, and have now axed the Stache.

Their lineup looks like: Marlin, X-Caliber, Roscoe, Farley, Procaliber and Top Fuel (replaced Superfly), Supercaliber, Fuel EX, Remedy, Slash, Session, and a selection of Ebikes.
It's the way it goes, especially now that the market is so saturated, it's tricky for these entrenched companies to make enough of a profit to justify making "niche" bikes.

·
This place needs an enema
15,593 Posts
That's funny. Trek dropped the Stache because no one was buying it. Cool bike but very niche.

You have the sentiment correct -- sales were declining -- but to say that 'no one' was buying it misses the mark. They still sold out of their production runs easily last summer, but they saw the #'s declining and decided to abort.

I think it's a bummer, but I'm guilty of lusting after one yet not pulling the trigger -- so in a way it's my fault... ;)

One upshot is that they are redesigning the 1120 right now. Not exactly a Stache, but infinitely closer to it than anyone else is making, and with some nice bonuses for those of us that camp from our bikes.

Still very, very much a niche offering.

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
You have the sentiment correct -- sales were declining -- but to say that 'no one' was buying it misses the mark. They still sold out of their production runs easily last summer, but they saw the #'s declining and decided to abort.

Yeah I didn't mean it literally, not enough buyers to make it profitable would be more accurate.

I'm also guilty of lusting for one and never pulling the trigger. Part of the problem :p

·
Registered
953 Posts
The 1120 never made it here to Oz AFAIK, unfortunately. I wonder what the PTBs have in mind? I'd stock up on a few 29x3.0" tyres but they're hard to come by, like everything this year. :-(

·
29ers Forever
3,418 Posts
That's funny. Trek dropped the Stache because no one was buying it. Cool bike but very niche.
I know that sales were lower than they would like, as I said, niche brands sell more niche bikes.
It is true that they are oversimplifying their lineup, and have big gaps between models, yet manage to have three or four dedicated XC bikes. That was all my point was. It just seems strange to me that they are axing more capable bikes to cut costs while continuing to make yet another XC race bike.

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
I know that sales were lower than they would like, as I said, niche brands sell more niche bikes.
It is true that they are oversimplifying their lineup, and have big gaps between models, yet manage to have three or four dedicated XC bikes. That was all my point was. It just seems strange to me that they are axing more capable bikes to cut costs while continuing to make yet another XC race bike.

Oversimplifying the lineup is a matter of opinion, I just thought it was funny that you said trek was giving up on the mtb market.

·
29ers Forever
3,418 Posts
Oversimplifying the lineup is a matter of opinion, I just thought it was funny that you said trek was giving up on the mtb market.
I definitely posted that without thinking it through all the way. I still have a couple Treks, and they still make good bikes. The trend I have been seeing in their lineup is concerning, I guess that's what I was going off of for my early morning rant.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I thought that was a funny joke too
As an official representative at Trek, do you know if there are plans to reintroduce the ideas behind the Stache in a furture bike?

The Stache (particularly in the aluminum frameset) was an amazingly flexible platform (geared, single speed, or camping rig) and a completely capable bike (from novice to expert). In my estimation, discontinuing this bike is a critical error in Trek's overall offerings.

·
Community Manager at Trek
417 Posts
As an official representative at Trek, do you know if there are plans to reintroduce the ideas behind the Stache in a furture bike?

The Stache (particularly in the aluminum frameset) was an amazingly flexible platform (geared, single speed, or camping rig) and a completely capable bike (from novice to expert). In my estimation, discontinuing this bike is a critical error in Trek's overall offerings.
Nothing new that I could speak on at this time. But the Stache is a sold bike (I also own one), so it's a bummer to see it go. The team has their reasons and they wouldn't make a decision unless it was well thought out.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Trek seems to be giving up on the MTB market, or at least oversimplifying their lineup. They have been trying to erase any mention of Fisher's legacy, hence why they took his name off of his bikes, stole the G2 geometry, and have now axed the Stache.

Their lineup looks like: Marlin, X-Caliber, Roscoe, Farley, Procaliber and Top Fuel (replaced Superfly), Supercaliber, Fuel EX, Remedy, Slash, Session, and a selection of Ebikes.
It's the way it goes, especially now that the market is so saturated, it's tricky for these entrenched companies to make enough of a profit to justify making "niche" bikes.
I have 3 fishers still in my garage, it makes me sad to see that brand completely go away but I understand not having competing products in the lineup

Would be nice to see some of those unique testbed bikes like the stache come back under a Gary Fisher branding, it would fit the pioneering legacy he has

Wheels and forks will be easy to find for this frame, but I am concerned about tires long term. So tempted to buy another Xr4 while I can still find it. Hopefully my current set will outlast the frame before it cracks again

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Been a while since I shared my Stache with peeps.

I'm thinking since my last post, I've installed 29x3" DHF's, Cushcore+ for 29+, and gone with a really high-rise bar by Whisky Carbon and a shorter 50mm x 0° Ragley Stubbing stem.

I have the Sears Tower of inseams (36") for no taller than I am. (6'1") That generally makes my handlebars far too low for aggressive technical riding, so I usually run a lot of headset spacers and a longer, taller stem.

In doing that, the added headset spacers reduce your reach because of the head tube angle, and the longer stem just feels like poo. The whole package looks stupid too. Bikes aren't designed for taller inseamed riders.

So after reading this article: (https://nsmb.com/articles/fit-before-fashion-protapers-76mm-riser-bar/)

...I decided "Hey, that's me, and I definitely need me some mo' stack." Instead of going
70mm ProTaper, I really, really wanted that Moto look with the cross bar. I was also able to trim some weight because mine is carbon 200something gram and rated for aggressive trail riding.

So now, I'm able to drop my stem down close to the headset where it belongs which increases my reach, allows me too go shorter on the stem, and fits my long legs like a glove.

1. I love love love the stack height. My grips are just a bit above saddle height where they belong for fun, aggressive trail riding.

2. I love even more, the 16°sweep. It really feels like I'm riding an angry motocross bike.

3. I'm so committed fully to the bars, that I cut my steerer tube down appropriately.

Attachments

·
Community Manager at Trek
417 Posts
I have a 2016 Stache 7. What are good choices to replace the original bottom bracket?
Since you have the original SRAM GX crank, you need a GXP BB. Your shell is a BB92 press-fit.

Cheap and efficient, get yourself the direct replacement stock BB which is part number 00.6415.033.020 from SRAM.

Expensive and fancy, get a Wheels Manufacturing Angular Contact BB. They have two options, thread-together and slip fit. Part numbers 386EVOBB-SRAMAC or BB86/92-SRAM10 from Wheels MFG.

Personally, I'd rock the SRAM BBs as they are cost efficient and last a long time. The Wheels MFG BBs are nice, but the threaded require a special tool and can be tough to install without pressing one side in first.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Trek did it. They killed off one of the most iconic bikes in their lineup.
This year has obviously been full of disappointments, but the dropping of the Stache and the suspension of Quinn really left me bitter re Trek. I’ve been riding Treks since 1982.

I’m stocking up on tires in hopes of keeping my Stache rolling for many years. Such a fun bike! RIP!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since you have the original SRAM GX crank, you need a GXP BB. Your shell is a BB92 press-fit.

Cheap and efficient, get yourself the direct replacement stock BB which is part number 00.6415.033.020 from SRAM.

Expensive and fancy, get a Wheels Manufacturing Angular Contact BB. They have two options, thread-together and slip fit. Part numbers 386EVOBB-SRAMAC or BB86/92-SRAM10 from Wheels MFG.

Personally, I'd rock the SRAM BBs as they are cost efficient and last a long time. The Wheels MFG BBs are nice, but the threaded require a special tool and can be tough to install without pressing one side in first.

Hey Mitch - THANK YOU this is exactly the info I needed. I've ridden this bike continuously for about 4 years now. Since I don't see ANY new Bikes I like better, I'm gonna overhaul this thing the best I can.

My fingers are crossed that in a year or two Trek will announce the 'super-stache 2.0'. Just my dream.

4881 - 4900 of 4926 Posts