Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

4861 - 4880 of 4926 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think the bike rides best with Kovee Pro 30's with 2.6 tires :D.

Far more fun and predictable than the Line pro 40's and 3.0's I had on last year.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow, great thread. I'm still trying to read through it.

In the meantime, are any go-to wheelsets people often recommend for upgrading from stock? I'm on a 2016 (purple) model with the Sun ringle mulefut 50's and a DHF (3.0) front and Chupa (3.0) rear. What is considered a nice middle ground for rim width to cover tires 2.5"-3.0"?

Between the stock wheels, Manitou Mangum fork, and KS dropper I'm around 29-30 lbs setup SS. Would love to knock 5lbs. off that weight. The bike rides so well and I have enjoyed it for several years, but is overweight currently.

Ideas?
If you read through the thread, i think you'll see many folks have upgraded from the stock durocs, and tended to go a bit smaller with an i40 rim. I think most go with the line pro 40s, and some with other carbon variants. I went with carbon wheels from EIE, which only took off about 1.2 pounds. I didnt find the upgrade to be the overwhelming upgrade most make it out to be, but i'm not very fine tuned with bike setups either. If anything, i felt like i missed the gyroscopic feel of the heavier feel which kept me rolling faster.

The stock ducocs didnt even last a couple hundred miles for me, very disappointing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I finally got my hands on 1120 fork! One small problem — it came in naked (no proper docs, bolts or axle) as somebody mentioned before it must be a warranty replacement. Could someone please help to identify the bolts and the axle needed. The bizarro hexlock axle from my Manitou fork doesn't fit anything else.

This might be dead obvious for most, but I'm not sure what to look for.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
I agree with Gendy, the Line Pro 40s (or similar) were a nice upgrade, but certainly not the biggest difference in the world. The stiffness was nice but I don't really feel like it was the biggest difference as far as handling/climbing goes though.

HOWEVER, the Kovee Pro 30's were a massive, noticeable difference. The bike just felt faster, there was a noticeable snap to acceleration that wasn't there before with the heavier wheels. It felt like starting from a stop took no effort at all.

Downside is that I probably wouldn't run a 3.0 tire on them.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,231 Posts
I agree with Gendy, the Line Pro 40s (or similar) were a nice upgrade, but certainly not the biggest difference in the world. The stiffness was nice but I don't really feel like it was the biggest difference as far as handling/climbing goes though.

HOWEVER, the Kovee Pro 30's were a massive, noticeable difference. The bike just felt faster, there was a noticeable snap to acceleration that wasn't there before with the heavier wheels. It felt like starting from a stop took no effort at all.

Downside is that I probably wouldn't run a 3.0 tire on them.
I have no desire to neuter my bike by running 2.6 tires on it. That it uses 3.0 tires is part of what makes it so special. There are plenty of bikes that can run 2.6 but only a handful that can run 3.0. The massive rollover and incredible cush that the 29x3.0 tires give is magical.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have no desire to neuter my bike by running 2.6 tires on it. That it uses 3.0 tires is part of what makes it so special. There are plenty of bikes that can run 2.6 but only a handful that can run 3.0. The massive rollover and incredible cush that the 29x3.0 tires give is magical.
Well said, it seems like a lot of people want to turn their stache into an expensive but normal hard tail

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Trek 1120 Fork Axle and Bolts

try this for starters

axle is boost 110x15mm
Thanks a lot for the PDF it got me on the right path!

Four rack bolts are M6 x 20mm as per the PDF
The six leg bolts are M5 x 12mm

Apparently, 110 x 15mm boost axles come in different lengths and threads depending on the frame/fork design. The Robert Axle Project has a good axle chooser. Here's what I got from it if anyone's looking for 1120 fork specs in the future:

Length: 155mm
Thread Pitch: M14 x 1.5
Compatible with Fox 15x110 BOOST axles

All bits ordered fingers crossed everything fits.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Beautiful bike!! Are those the Teravail Coronado's? Ive been contemplating those or even the 2.6 Honcho or Kessel for my Stache.. Any feedback on how do they ride?
Thanks! I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the ride and grip of the Coronados. I ride in north Texas, so trails are either clay or slightly rocky terrain, with nothing extremely technical. The tires corner very well and have a very consistent and gradual slide in smooth corners. I wish they made a 29x3.0. They’re about the same size as the WTB Ranger 3.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Loud tyres save lives
537 Posts
I still adore my Stache and disappointed it's been discontinued as it's such a fun bike to ride. I'd still like to try a Full Stache and curious what full suspension and the bike wheels would be like but I do like the connected feel I get with the standard Stache.

·
This place needs an enema
15,579 Posts
PITA #2- Tires are now hard to find and expensive as heck.

I have a 2018 Stache 7. I’m on my 2nd set of XR2s and then because of side wall cuts, a 3rd replacement in the rear with an older batch xr2 that still says Chupacabra. Sidewall slashed again, fixable with a patch and then a pinch flat, now fixed with a plug. AZ terrain is not kind to the Chupras or XRs.

Perhaps you've considered that those tires are a little fragile for the terrain you're riding them through?

XR4 and Chronicle are much more durable. A little heavier and slower, yes -- but not as slow as fixing flats, and much cheaper than replacing tires long term.

I have piles of all of the above -- and others like Dirt Wizard, SE4, Coronado, and Rekon -- in stock.

·
Registered
346 Posts
1. I think there's still dates coming for frames, so the bike isn't completely discontinued

2. It's hardly neutering a bike if it rides better. 3.0's were too vague and unpredictable when seriously hauling ass so they had to go. If you don't seriously haul ass on your Stache, I can see why you'd keep them. I thought they were clowny and really fun, but as I ride my hard tail on trails that a lot of people ride their 140mm+ bikes (and with them) I couldn't keep them and the bike absolutely PERFORMS better. Maybe with insersts 3.0 are sweet performance wise too.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Does anyone know if the Bontrager 3.0" tyres are still theoretically being made? They seem to be scarce/unavailable lately, and otherwise there's (maybe) Surly, or then 2.6" which might be a bit narrow for the stock rims. I like the wide tyres, and should stock up if I ever see any more here in Oz. :-(

·
Community Manager at Trek
414 Posts
Does anyone know if the Bontrager 3.0" tyres are still theoretically being made? They seem to be scarce/unavailable lately, and otherwise there's (maybe) Surly, or then 2.6" which might be a bit narrow for the stock rims. I like the wide tyres, and should stock up if I ever see any more here in Oz. :-(
Still being made, but like everything else, out of stock. Hit up your LBS to get some on order.

·
Registered
267 Posts

Still being made, but like everything else, out of stock. Hit up your LBS to get some on order.
My LBS Giant dealer said tires in general are the hardest to get right now, supply on other components is starting to let up.

Either way, hope they continue making them!

Oops, just realized who I quoted, I'm sure you know better than me lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I ordered a set of 35mm (internal) rims this week along with some 2.6" tires to experiment with on the Stache. I just want some options. I love the standard 3.0 but want something a little snappier because I only ride it SS now.

Exactly what spesh tires were you running?

For those interested, I was curious about running 29x2.6 tires on my Stache for a lighter-weight more XC oriented setup. Biggest concern was how much it lower the BB. Went for it anyway, and here's how it shaped up: BB went from right about 30cm down 1cm to 29cm, or about 3% lower. Note that the 2.6 tires are specialized tires on 30mm internal width bontrager line elite rims, and they are pretty undersized (measure about 2.5 across), so you might get a slightly higher BB with more true to size tires. I also run a 140mm Fox 29 fork on my Stache, so note that your BB prob won't be 29cm once you put on 2.6's it will likely lower the BB 1cm from wherever it's at.

When riding, I really didn't notice the BB being much lower and never had a problem with pedal strikes or clearance. I had a blast on it and it transformed the Stache into a much more aggressive bike. I'd highly recommend it!

·
Registered
2019 Trek Stache
17 Posts
Chainstay Protector

I have a 2019 Stache 7 and the stock chainstay protector (clear vinyl sticker) has been worn down and exposed the metal after a good 900 miles of riding. The chainslap is now bothering me quite a bit as the bike is pretty quiet usually.

Given the chainline on this bike runs a few millimeters next to the chainstay depending on gear, it looks like I'll just have to buy more thin vinyl protectors like the stock one. Does any one run a fancy more robust chainstay protector that isn't too thick for the chainline?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I have a 2019 Stache 7 and the stock chainstay protector (clear vinyl sticker) has been worn down and exposed the metal after a good 900 miles of riding. The chainslap is now bothering me quite a bit as the bike is pretty quiet usually.

Given the chainline on this bike runs a few millimeters next to the chainstay depending on gear, it looks like I'll just have to buy more thin vinyl protectors like the stock one. Does any one run a fancy more robust chainstay protector that isn't too thick for the chainline?
You can use perforated leather wrapped/stitched in place (Velo Orange/SomaFab used to sell something like that), if you wanted something maximally durable/thin as possible. Personally, get some lightweight tube scraps, and wrap tightly. Should work okay.

4861 - 4880 of 4926 Posts