Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
This is awesome! Reminds me of a bike I saw years ago and the owner said he used to race similar bikes back in the 80's and 90's

I have a SE Racing 29er mountain bike but I have been working on a Raleigh M80 and seeing these pictures reminds me of the type of bike I used to want to build. Can you somehow teach me about your bike and how I could create something like it? I'll go take some pictures of my bikes tonight.

· Registered
2 Posts
I would like to build this Raleigh so that it fits me better and I feel more comfortable than I ever have with the 29 bikes. My last bike was a Hardrock Specialized 29er which was very enjoyable. This SE Racing bike is a little too pedestrian and I've already broken 6 derailleur hangers and the brakes suck and...and...

Plan for the M80 is disc brakes, single front sprocket, new bars (though I have no idea how or why they should be changed. Right now it feels difficult to point the bike where I want it to go), and a solid fork to accommodate a 27.5 wheel up front while keeping the 26 rear for torque, maneuverability, and because I met a guy who told me about his old school bikes from 80's and 90's "back in the day."

Sorry to high-jack your thread.... I just thought it would be a good opportunity to go more in depth about your bike while I could learn more and hopefully others will find it as well. It seems to me like you have built this bike to your exact specifications and you probably have some awesome reasons for why it is how it is.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to build this Raleigh so that it fits me better and I feel more comfortable than I ever have with the 29 bikes. My last bike was a Hardrock Specialized 29er which was very enjoyable. This SE Racing bike is a little too pedestrian and I've already broken 6 derailleur hangers and the brakes suck and...and...

Plan for the M80 is disc brakes, single front sprocket, new bars (though I have no idea how or why they should be changed. Right now it feels difficult to point the bike where I want it to go), and a solid fork to accommodate a 27.5 wheel up front while keeping the 26 rear for torque, maneuverability, and because I met a guy who told me about his old school bikes from 80's and 90's "back in the day."

Sorry to high-jack your thread.... I just thought it would be a good opportunity to go more in depth about your bike while I could learn more and hopefully others will find it as well. It seems to me like you have built this bike to your exact specifications and you probably have some awesome reasons for why it is how it is.

View attachment 1956289

View attachment 1956288
View attachment 1956287
View attachment 1956286
The polishing took me forever to figure out. Harbor freight silicone carbide disc. All the parts I upgraded was from patience and luck winning bids at low prices. Honestly, the bike is no longer suitable for mtb riding cuz the tire clearance in the back is paper thin but then again I'm jumping all over the place urban ridding. This old bike paired with 27.5" wheels makes it confusingly fast. I got modern 29ers and road oriented hybrid that won't keep up accorded to my specialized app. Something about these older Raleigh's that can dish out power. Good luck with your build

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This thing looks great. My wife has an early 2000’s M-40 that I’ve been contemplating a similar build for gravel. What fork are you using? Did yours have rim brake bosses and top tube cable bosses that you ground off?
The forks are an off brand, MOSSO
. Bosses where hacksawed, dremeled, grinded, and filed. I thought I would always be a die hard single speeder and now regret removing all the shifting hardware. Back to the forks, they're so light, IMO, they're made very well and I would definitely recommend them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.