Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm excited to see this new forum. While I wait around for more 29+ frames to become available (with my eye on the Rooster or the RSD Mutant), I'm also experimenting in the fatbike world. I picked up a cheap BikesDirect model, found the fat tires pretty slow, but I'm pretty happy with how the 29+ wheels work on it:

3" tires on narrow rims aren't the hot ticket, but they're doing OK so far:

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
Subscribed really glad they added this section.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
My Vertigo Fat Bike with 29+ wheelset (Surly Rabbit Hole rims and Knard 29+ tires). Close clearance for the rear wheel, but there was still room to move the wheel backwards and gain clearance for mud and rocks.

Is it blasphemous to say in this forum that I didn't like it so much and sold off that wheelset? :) Yes, it clobbered everything in its path, but it was harder to pop up the front compared to the regular fat wheels. I think the 27.5+ will be better, and I'm saving up my pennies for that.

Vertigo Fat Bike with 29+" tires by bundokbiker, on Flickr

Rear Wheel Hop by bundokbiker, on Flickr

·
Registered
266 Posts
Here is my Pugs, with Gravity Vidars on Rabbit Hole rims. Full 3x9 drivetrain, plenty of clearance with Monkey Nuts installed. Completely different ride, waiting for things to dry up so I can hit the trails.
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
litespeedaddic how you liking those Bontrager tires so far? and what kind of tire pressures have you been able to run?[/QUOTE]

I run 15.5psi. Maybe 16 if I'm feeling naughty. They weighed 880 grams each. Set up tubeless perfectly. Trails are not dry, but I managed to find some sorta dry dirt not to far from my house, I think they will be the shizzle, would say they are the best 29+ tire out there at the moment. Unfortunately, I am broken and am unable to lay down much power or ride for very long, so until I am unbroken and the trails are drier, that's all the info I can give.

Edit, I will add I think they are about 1 -1.5mm smaller than the Knards, which my best bud runs. Seems to be just a touch more clearance on the fork brace/arch with the Chupa's versus the Knards.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Thanks that's about what I had to run in my Knards to keep them from burping, they were never really meant to be a tubeless tire.

Hoping I can run a bit lower pressure with some of the new tires coming out, thinking of a Chronicle in the rear and a Chupacabra up front.

Some video of my 29+ setup in action

·
Live Free & Ride
1,578 Posts
Thanks that's about what I had to run in my Knards to keep them from burping, they were never really meant to be a tubeless tire.

Hoping I can run a bit lower pressure with some of the new tires coming out, thinking of a Chronicle in the rear and a Chupacabra up front.

Some video of my 29+ setup in action
What/where is this trail?...must ride! Looks really fast on those 29ers, especially near the bottom...sweet ride!

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
What/where is this trail?...must ride! Looks really fast on those 29ers, especially near the bottom...sweet ride!
It's a mix of 3 trails, Cold Creek, Tahoe Rim, but the second half all Toads which has some fun techy rock stuff up top with a super flowy ending. South Lake Tahoe is your destination :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Having a couple rides on the Chupa's in dry trails and with me being a wee bit healthier myself, I will say without a doubt the 29er + is my favorite wheel/tire system I've ever run, and that includes the Hed's and Bud's that came with my bike originally. Settled on 14psi (front)-14.5 (rear) and love the feel. The Hed's will continue to gather some dust while I use the crap out of these wheels. In case anyone was sitting on the fence about this platform, go for it, you won't be disappointed. Combined with the Syntace P6 flexible seat post, the comfort on this hard tail exceeded my expectations.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just put the 29+ back on the Muk... I also bought a cassette and brake discs to leave on the wheels and save time changing back and forth with the 26ers. I'm contemplating riding this in a gravel century coming up in May. I'll probably do a test run tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 387 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.