Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 617 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
machine tech crank set

flyingsuperpetis said:
There it is again! I'm a Machine Tech fan too, and this is the second time i've ever even heard of the legend of their crank. The first fellow to mention it worked for titec, and he looked long and hard for a photo of one, but could find nothing. Andrea, do you have any pictures? Anyone?
MBAction june '95

Andrea

Attachments

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
found the issue, and that reminds me...

My Joe's rear derailleur, which I'm practically hoarding as the spots I list it for sale, I've got the price set rather high. :)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
à propos machine tech: i used the cantilever brakes, i picked up a blue one for forty bones just as v-brakes were coming out. they worked pretty well, and looked the part, too. i still have the brake sitting in my basement. the thing was, the pivots didn't seem to hold up long, mine are reasonably wobbly. argh.
i would kill to have a set of the zeroflex 2 cantis, which were even coller-looking than the originals.
tim

·
Registered
995 Posts
MachineTech Cranks.

alasa said:
MBAction june '95

Andrea
Of all the luck. Those look an awful lot like a certain pair of cranks I'm working on at the moment. Anyone know how I might get in touch with any of the Machine Tech guys? I need to have a chat before going any further on these, or they'd have a pretty good case in court...

·
10,938 Posts
flyingsuperpetis said:
Of all the luck. Those look an awful lot like a certain pair of cranks I'm working on at the moment. Anyone know how I might get in touch with any of the Machine Tech guys? I need to have a chat before going any further on these, or they'd have a pretty good case in court...
Machinetech went bust several years ago, and didn't hold any patents either that I can recall.

·
10,938 Posts
CraigH said:
Are Hi-E mtn bike hubs rare?
not particularly, the 30 hole ones are but only because its an unusual model w/high-low flanges, 20 on drive side, 10 non drive side, sunrims made the matching rims, and Dave's Wheels used to sell 'em as recently as a year or so ago. The advantage? less weight than a 32 spoke wheel, with 10 pulling spokes on the all important drive flange (the one carrying most of the torque) which is more than on a 36H hub, laced 2X as I recall drive side and radial non-drive.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Yep, but it'd take all of about five seconds for someone to come out of the woodwork, papers in hand, once my cranks hit print. I'm not going to risk anything on this, cause I've been on the other end of one of these deals, & it's never good for anyone in the end.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Dave's Wheels are where I got mine about ~12 years, after reading an article in MBA about a Ti GT Ziazhang (sp) they built up with light parts.

Wheels I have are:
32 hole, 3 cross drive, radial non-drive rear
28 hole radial front
Rims are Sun CR-17 (Chinook) think?

I'm still using the front wheel on the commuter. The rear hub needs a new bearing, but you have to de-lace on side of the wheel to change it, so I haven't got around to it.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
My stratums... 1996...I guess they are rare. Actually, those 2 are not mine but Ive got the same ones and one of them I actually bought form the person who took this pic.

and here are some crazy coda magics that I wish were mine:

·
10,938 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
My stratums... 1996...I guess they are rare. Actually, those 2 are not mine but Ive got the same ones and one of them I actually bought form the person who took this pic.
There's a stratum on ebay right now but its seller is one of the guys who doesn't combine shipping and charges $15US for everything.

·
10,938 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
That thing is amazing! I want it! Who made it?
For some reason I'm thinking either Ulterrain's second hub design, or Union USA. They're not Pulstar's thats for sure.

·
10,938 Posts
I was a westpine dealer and never bothered to get one of their hubs for myself. They weren't particularly light and they came out at a time when I was looking for seriously light hubs.

21 - 40 of 617 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.