Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing alot more dirtjumping lately on my bottlerocket. Getting back to my bmx roots. I was considering getting a double but the only real difference I can see with the geometry is the double is 1" shorter in the rear. I wanna see some pics and maybe some suggestions on setting up the bottlerocket for primarily dirtjumping.....It handles pretty well right now but I want to lighten it up a bit. Remove front brake etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
finally a response...Ya right now my setup is 08 medium bottlerocket. revolution 36's, fox van 36 rc2, fox dhx 5 rear shock. Juicy 7's, sram x9's. So right now it is a little heavy and the van 36 at 160mm is a bit much for dirtjumping and pump sections. My plan is to pick up a pike 454 so I can drop it down to 100mm while dirtjumping, then im gonna pick up some black market bada bing handlebars 3'' rise and im thinking about a roco air for the rear so I can stiffen it up quite a bit. I was also planning on removing the front brake. Anybody else have a similiar setup????

·
Registered
47 Posts
Making a BR a dedicated DJ is turning it into something it was not really designed for. you can pick up a used TOP for less than buying the parts to convert your BR and it would be way more fun for you.

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
Honestly, I second this suggestion if you can afford it. You're going to spend a a lot doing a conversion, why not just keep the BR for when you hit trails and such and just pick up a used DJ bike? I have a ToP, so I'll endorse that as a good one, but Giant STPs (which I also had and will endorse, great little bikes), the Kona DJ bikes and Specialized P-bikes can be found used dirt cheap if you do a little hunting.

·
KoNa KiD
325 Posts
eobf said:
Making a BR a dedicated DJ is turning it into something it was not really designed for. you can pick up a used TOP for less than buying the parts to convert your BR and it would be way more fun for you.
i agree on the dedication thing, but you can easily convert it back and forth if you have the parts and a travel adjust fork..... my build...med. frame... consists of the domain u-turn(160-115) revs 32's deity bars,stem,seat,cranks,34t single ring. im currently waiting on my 17t rear cog to come in to make it single speed, while i wait on a shifter...i mean you can do alot of different things with the BR...ill snap some quick shots of the biek the way it sits right now. oh yah and im rockin the DHX 5.0 air....its sweet cuz i can air itup to DJ with or loosin it up to rock it down some trails.

also....i owned a TOP, with the fork on the BR at 115 and the DHX air pretty stiff it feels like a squishy TOP...

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
i have both a typical setup bottlerocket, and a dedicated dirtjump bike.

the br, in typical setup is WAY fun at the dirtjumps, but its certainly no dj bike, and i wouldn't waste the time and money to try and make it one.

i rode last season with just me br and thoroughly enjoyed the dirtjumps. this year i built a proper dj bike. i highly suggest you do the same if you don't have the money for a dj bike right now.

·
KoNa KiD
325 Posts
euroford said:
i have both a typical setup bottlerocket, and a dedicated dirtjump bike.

the br, in typical setup is WAY fun at the dirtjumps, but its certainly no dj bike, and i wouldn't waste the time and money to try and make it one.

i rode last season with just me br and thoroughly enjoyed the dirtjumps. this year i built a proper dj bike. i highly suggest you do the same if you don't have the money for a dj bike right now.
did your BR have a coil or air shock? how much did it weigh?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the help guys......anybody else ride a pike on the bottlerocket? I heard that they have a steeper head tube making the bike a little more responsive....I have the money for another bike or to change the setup just wanna make sure I make the right decision before I start throwing cash around. It's funny I fell in love with dirt jumping and skateparks again. I rode bmx for years when I was younger. Raced in the NBL, then later got into skateparks, vert, dirtjumping and street. Went to woodward camp a few times....But then eventually lost interest when I got a little older, got a car etc.....I got into downhill and freeride mountain biking about 2 years ago after not being on a bike for about 7 years and find myself trying to do all the old stuff on the bottlerocket. I wouldnt want to go back to a bmx now that im alot bigger because the geometry on those bikes went way small compared to what they were. I love the speed and power of 26"'s..........I ride diablo quite a bit now and the bottlerocket feels perfect there........Just rambling on anybody else have a similiar experience?

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
08Brocket said:
thanks for the help guys......anybody else ride a pike on the bottlerocket? I heard that they have a steeper head tube making the bike a little more responsive....I have the money for another bike or to change the setup just wanna make sure I make the right decision before I start throwing cash around. It's funny I fell in love with dirt jumping and skateparks again. I rode bmx for years when I was younger. Raced in the NBL, then later got into skateparks, vert, dirtjumping and street. Went to woodward camp a few times....But then eventually lost interest when I got a little older, got a car etc.....I got into downhill and freeride mountain biking about 2 years ago after not being on a bike for about 7 years and find myself trying to do all the old stuff on the bottlerocket. I wouldnt want to go back to a bmx now that im alot bigger because the geometry on those bikes went way small compared to what they were. I love the speed and power of 26"'s..........I ride diablo quite a bit now and the bottlerocket feels perfect there........Just rambling on anybody else have a similiar experience?
Yes, for sure. I was into BMX way back in the day, like early eighties. So I got my first freeride bike in '04 and started picking up some vids, saw Lenosky and other guys killing it and got all fired up to hit the parks again and try some DJs but the SGS was just too much. So I worked a few extra shifts and picked up a Giant STP 2 and got back into riding park and jumps. Good times, I really advocate keeping your BR trail-ready and just picking up a bike for park and DJs: the BR is great bike, but for that stuff it'll never be what you want it to be. Now I'm running a Trail Or Park as my DJ bike, and it's the closest I've come to feeling like a BMX but with more room to move and the fit and geometry are spot on. Love it, super fun rig. Here are a couple of pics from the pump track last week:

·
KoNa KiD
325 Posts
hmmmmmm seems the BR does fine on DJ's....and be patient i ve got pics on the way...

yup no good for DJin........................................................

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used to run a Pike on my Bottlerocket, it did feel pretty nice with the light, low front end. Super easy to whip around. It was a great setup for the local BMX track. But in the end I went for a 36 as I mostly use the bike for downhillin and what not. Here's a pic of it in its old incarnation.

·
KoNa KiD
325 Posts
ok so heres a few pics with it setup for DJ...ill post better ones next week in the actual photo thread.....sorry it took sooooooo long.....as it sits 34.2lbs.......mmmmmmm lavendar

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
lax30 said:
did your BR have a coil or air shock? how much did it weigh?
dhx coil real, van 36rc2 in the front. setup typical freeride, not overly stiff. 34ish pounds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.