Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and didn't see a whole lot of action on the tandem front...so here's mine.

1994 Grove 2B1 with a few custom changes...

My wife and I did alot of riding in Vermont on and off road within the same trip and she wanted something to take the sting out of those sudden bumps. We tried some of the current stock of Allsop beam rides and were unhappy with the performance, specifically the lateral shear experienced when diving through turns. Bill and I worked out this design to give some relief to the stoker while maintaining nice handling an rigididy. I also had the rear triangle spaced at 160 so we could build a dishless wheel. The Grove is set up for road duty in these pics but we have the dirt set as well. The bike is built up with...

Rock Shox Judy DH fork, painted to match
Kooka stem
King Headset
Mavic ceramic rims, Tie Died TI Spokes, Phil wood hubs
Kooka Tandem Cranks
XT front and rear derailleurs
Campy Ergo levers...Xt shifter pods for the straight bar setup
Onza cantis
Torque Titanium seat posts
Speedplay and Tioga pedals

The ride has brought lots of smiles. My son (10) and I are now beginning to log some time on it and look forward to more. So, that's our ride, I would love to see some pics of those vintage mountain tandems.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Wow! That's nice. I love the paint.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like the paint? Have a piece of candy...

The three colors on the bike were actually chosen from some Jolly Rancher candies, same vibrant color and hues (orange, lemon, and apple).

Glad you guys like it...it's been a fun ride.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Really Nice.

That is a very pretty bike. I usually don't go for the over the top paint jobs but it wroks on this one.

How is that stoker stem set up? Is it attached with the two bolts so the stem can be replaced with one with a different reach or angle? It looks to be a pretty unique setup.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I will be posting pics of my Steve Potts Family Tandem is a few days. I am getting it cleaned up.
  • TIG welded 20x15.5 c-t.
  • Type II fork
  • WTB/Chris King GG headset
  • LD stem - clamp on with steer stub
  • WTB drop bar
  • barend shifters
  • Potts stoker stem
  • Speed Master roller cams
  • WTB hubs - tandem rear
  • two 7-speed freewheels
  • XT derailleurs
  • Matrix Singletrack rims
  • Specialized tandem cranks
  • Suntour XC/WTB seatposts
I also have
  • a second WTB hub/rim rear wheel
  • Co-Motion made road stem (swap can be made in <5 mins.)
  • Shimano triple drive side crank w/road gearing

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stoker stem is a fixed reach, adjustable angle. The two pinch bolts constrict on an interior tube that fits inside the stem cylinder and is attached to the frame. Loosen the bolts and the whole stem rotates on the inner tube...pick your angle and cinch them down. We opted for this setup as the bike was designed around our specs and hadn't anticipated having kids on the back someday :p

I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.

Cannot wait to see the Potts tandem...bring er on!

rody

·
Registered
62 Posts
Santana Twister?

I found this one on Ebay, not mine, wish it were. I've got a Burley Rock and Roll, pretty run of the mill, but Burley is a great company. Maybe some of you know more about this Santana?

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a few more from my pic archive...

A few more classic rides...

wish I owned the Fat, very simple and classy.

A Mountain Goat, and two Yeti's

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
brain donor
437 Posts
Ah yes the Craigslist Fat Tandem. It now resides in a secret bunker somewhere east of the Mississippi.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Rody said:
A few more classic rides...

wish I owned the Fat, very simple and classy.

A Mountain Goat, and two Yeti's

The Mountain Goat tandem is very cool, it is part of the First Flight collection. It is built with Campy parts too.

The yellow Fat tandem lives at my house, it is the latest addition to our family and my daughter and I have been having great fun riding it.

Wendyll tells me that few were made so I would very much like to see the other one mentioned.

rick

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
My parents had one of those. Was ok, 'cept for wierd tire size. These days, if you find one, you're better off refitting it to 700c wheels.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
well mine is not exactlly vintage, but it works really well, i'm still running 8 speed, 180mm front XTcranks and 175mm in the back, square taper of course with old suntour ball bearing bottom brackets..

yes dual brakes on it...v-brakes and also hope disc working at the same time

bruce gordon rack and everything, plus a bunch of lammeass profile water bottle cages

as evil as it looks still a great dating limousine

1 - 20 of 92 Posts