Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

441 - 459 of 459 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since I am so stoked about getting this today I figured I'll post it here too. My 2014 Komodo. It's a perfect starting bike for me and I hear there is all kinds of upgrades that can be done.

photo.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice and congrats on the new bike. Komodo's are great bikes since they're so versatile and durable. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah...my bike has changed a lot. A bit eccentric, I suppose. Hoping to travel across the country on it in a few months.

Updated specs:

Frame: Jamis Komodo II 16"
Handlebars: Modolo Yuma
Stem: Thomson Elite X4 100mm
Headset: Cane Creek S-8
Wheelset: Azonic Outlaw (Hope Pro 2 Evo front hub, Velocity ATB Rear Hub)
Tires: Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4
Fork: Surly 1x1 100mm
Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX M663 Shadow
Cassette: Shimano SLX CS-HG81-10 11/36
Chain: Shimano XT CN-HG94 Dyna Sys 10 Speed
Crankset:Shimano SLX M770 Dyna-Sys/Race Face Single 38T w/ Hope bash ring
K-EDGE Cross Chain Catcher
Brakes: Avid BB7 (160r/185f)
Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial SL
Shifters: Shimano XT SL-M770-10s Rapidfire (rear) Shifter
Pedals: Azonic 420
Seatpost: Thomson Elite Setback
Saddle: Selle An-Atomica Titanico X

I've attached a picture of my new Komodo build. I've only had it for a few days but I'm in love with this thing.

Frame: Jamis Komodo II 16"
Handlebars: Race Face Atlas AM w/ ODI Rogue lock-on grips
Stem: Azonic Barretta 45mm
Headset: Cane Creek S-8
Wheelset: Azonic Outlaw
Fork: Rock Shox Pike 426 U-Turn
Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX M663 Shadow
Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX M660
Cassette: Shimano SLX CS-HG81-10 11/36
Chain: Shimano SLX CN-HG74
Crankset:Shimano SLX M770 Dyna-Sys
Brakes: Avid BB7 (160r/185f)
Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial SL
Shifters: Shimano XT SL-M770-10s Rapidfire
Pedals: Azonic 420
Seatpost: Raceface Deus 34.9
Saddle: WTB Rocket V Pro
Tires: Maxxis 26x2.2 Holy Rollers

Attachments

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
The Heckler is officially dead!!

I had my Heckler built up for a few years, but I never really settled in to it. Just never felt right. I'm back to my faithful and dare I say "perfect" 2005 Komodo.

I pulled all the Pimp Juice out of my Heckler and injected it into my Komodo. Heckler on the chopping block and out the door.

There's that magical reach and stack that just feels right...and 2005 was my year. Live the gussets and geometry.

So I'm pulling the Identiti Rebate off and I got a 150mm Sektor, Cane Creek 110 headset, and QR15 cones for my Hope Pro 2 front hub.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Here's the progression/digression of my 2005 Komodo. At times, I robbed parts from it to try out other dual suspension frames... But I've always come back to this frame.

Number 4 was pretty perfect...that's where I'm headed with the new fork. Back to perfect.

It began as Freeride hardtail with a Marzocchi 55 R fork, but the "R" cartridge sucked, so I found the Domain U-Turn. Loved it, but found myself riding more XC so I built it as a 25-26# with the Fox Float. Moved to some burly singletrack, the All Mountain PIKE build was essential. Enter the Heckler... Komodo takes a back seat and goes rigid... Fork takes a dump... Identiti Rebate build is where it's been for a while. Killer rigid AM build, but back to that perfect setup now.

It's funny that it all began with this 2004 frame that I bought for $140. The stays flexed too much under hard braking, so Jamis sent me my 2005.

Stoke!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I have somewhat sat-out the last 3 years during the transition of plus bikes, but when I built my '05, the only thing I wanted more was to be able to run 3" tires that don't kill me. That wasn't possible back then, but the new generation Jamis Komodo looks to be just about everything I had ever wanted in a hardtail. My choice would likely be the 27.5+ but I'd really take either. Part of me says buy the 26+ just to show people that 26 is alive and well.

Nice, nice job, Jamis. The Dragon Slayers look incredible, but that topic belongs in another thread.

My only suggestion would be a Pro version that is all 130mm Fox 34 instead of devoting all the swank to the Reynolds lovers, but I understand the motives and respect the decision. Keep the Komodo alive, y'all!!

That said... I'm saving up for one of these babies!!!!

Post your new Komodo Plus bikes, peeps. They belong in here.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Well, thanks to Christmas I'm back to where I want to be. My wife bought me a pair of Stan's Flow EX rims 2 years ago. I was going to use my Pro 2 hubs and rebuild...but I've been running anodized red for 10 years now and I'm just tired of it.

I took the plunge on some Hope Pro 4 Evo bolt up hubs in purple.

Had to move some components around so it doesn't look like the old lady Red Hat club, and got a new Sektor Dual Position fork.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, bit late to the party but saw this frame up on facebook for sale a week or two ago and had to have it! been browsing everything here, some mint bikes.

Anyway, here's my offering. an '08 komodo. Plan is to build it up with my old 36 VAN forks, just waiting on headset and working out what travel I want (suggestions appreciated :) ).

For now it's my DJ and park bike, and I can see why everyone loves these!

IMG_20170215_192620.jpg

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Hey guys, bit late to the party but saw this frame up on facebook for sale a week or two ago and had to have it! been browsing everything here, some mint bikes.

Anyway, here's my offering. an '08 komodo. Plan is to build it up with my old 36 VAN forks, just waiting on headset and working out what travel I want (suggestions appreciated :) ).

For now it's my DJ and park bike, and I can see why everyone loves these!

View attachment 1121604
Well, if you're tall then that bike will have to be a DJ or Street bike. It looks pretty small. That said 80-100mm fork would be about right.

If you're short and it would fit you to pedal it a while, mines set up at 150mm as a trail bike. I've had it anywhere from 120-160mm to rigid. It works well everywhere but really shines at 150.

Mine is the 2005 on the previous page.

·
Registered
4 Posts
man your bike looks sweet! awesome to see how much it has evolved too.

I think i'm going to go 120-130mm on the 36s, with a 10mm longer stem and another spacer under the stem (only reason it's so slammed now is there isn't much steerer on the fork). Thanks for the suggestion on the travel, aimed me in the right direction.Just a matter of getting everything set right for now, which might take a bit of riding. But I'm 100% fine with that ;)

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
My Jamis family...

Just thought I'd share my latest tweaks. My 10y.o. daughter wanted to build a bike with me this year. I've been so stoked about it that she's been getting my hand-me -downs that normally go on my singlespeed.

The latest edition to her bike is my Hope Pro 2 / DT Wheelset. For that to fit her bike, she needed a drivetrain to replace her 7spd freewheel setup.

I gave her my 1x9 Shimano XT drivetrain and replaced it with a new 1x11 XT drivetrain with 30t 104bcd Narrow Wide Chainring.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I've finally gone to a complete XT drivetrain. Taking into consideration my inseam, I decided to give 180mm crank arms a shot. I ordered the 2x10 XT 104bcd crankset because I'm running a 30t in the middle ring position. If I run it on a 3-ring specific crankset like my Hone, it's a little uglier. The outside of a 2-ring spider is more dressed up.

I also swapped out my 2006 Avid Elixir R brakes for some m8000 XT 180/180 brakes. Love them!!!!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Also... After many years of supporting Kenda, I've had to drop them due to terrible QC issues on the Nevegal X Pro.

I'm really loving these Maxxis Ardents like crazy though!!

441 - 459 of 459 Posts