Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
wheeler
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I've been looking at new frames for a few weeks and decided to leave the aluminium and suspension fork behind and go pure :D old school baby :cool:
I didn't want to see any der. hangers or brake bosses on my new frame, so I narrowed it down to the Mia :)
Tony has been wickedly awsome to deal with so far, all that's left to do is hand over my visa # :D
here are a couple of shots of what's to come, let's see yours :cool:

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Mama Mia!

I don't have one, I have a Mark V though. I went out for a little ride after work yesterday and ran into (figuratively) my friend Chris who has a new Mia. Chris is pretty strong and has skill as well so he does some pretty impressive things, especially climbing on that SS. I don't have a pic but it is a good looking bike that will handle just about anything.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
I'll have one built in a few days

UPS should bring it tomorrow. Parts are mostly all waiting. MIne will be a 2nd SS bike, back up for my 29r, built for urban/townie/utilitarian riding. It will still be able to do trails in a pinch. Mine is the red one.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Matt
That looks very sweet!!! Especially for the price you suggested it would come in at.
Hopefully the high res pic's will be in my email box when I get home tonight.
If these guys brought out a 29'er it would probably be all the pushing I would need to jump in and grab one.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
29r ....maybe.

TR said:
Matt
That looks very sweet!!! Especially for the price you suggested it would come in at.
Hopefully the high res pic's will be in my email box when I get home tonight.
If these guys brought out a 29'er it would probably be all the pushing I would need to jump in and grab one.
From what I understand 29r wheels will fit and the owner of IRO built one after someone else said it was doable. He will not be promoting them as 29rs even if they can work that way. If they do ever make a 29r, it will be designed as one. I don't have any details about what tires he used, they may have been pretty small.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe the original prototype of the Mia was a 29", but for whatever reason, Tony decided to go with 26" for now. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 29" down the road from IRO. I'm sure it will be sweet, whatever the case.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Kenda K-Rad 2.3s

TR said:
Talking about tyres.
What are those puppies on your Mia??
They should be reasonably good on or off road and they look cool. They hold up to 80#, mine are aired to 70# and they look pretty huge. The Mia has nice tire clearance. They are also cheap, selling for $16-20 depending on size and who you buy from.

·
Something's tingling
154 Posts
Mama Mia!

TT. said:
well I've been looking at new frames for a few weeks and decided to leave the aluminium and suspension fork behind and go pure :D old school baby :cool:
I didn't want to see any der. hangers or brake bosses on my new frame, so I narrowed it down to the Mia :)
Tony has been wickedly awsome to deal with so far, all that's left to do is hand over my visa # :D
here are a couple of shots of what's to come, let's see yours :cool:
Here ya go, just finished it. Nice color you got there, BTW. :D

Attachments

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Really Nice!!

Curious said:
Here ya go, just finished it. Nice color you got there, BTW. :D
Who are you you TT or Curious? I'm just curious :)

I can see you went a little more high end on your build in several areas. I wish I had the Avid mechs you do. I have them on other bikes. Are those WTB wheels? Can you give us some more details on the build?

My Mia is supposed to be a budget second bike so I used the set of Hayes OE take offs I scored cheap. I actually like your color or the black better than the red, but since I'll ride mine around town, I opted for the "here I am" red. It will also stand out more if ever stolen.

Have you had a chance to ride it yet?

·
Something's tingling
154 Posts
Thanks.

Mattman said:
Who are you you TT or Curious? I'm just curious :)

I can see you went a little more high end on your build in several areas. I wish I had the Avid mechs you do. I have them on other bikes. Are those WTB wheels? Can you give us some more details on the build?

My Mia is supposed to be a budget second bike so I used the set of Hayes OE take offs I scored cheap. I actually like your color or the black better than the red, but since I'll ride mine around town, I opted for the "here I am" red. It will also stand out more if ever stolen.

Have you had a chance to ride it yet?
Sorry for the confusion, I'm waiting for TT to finish his build myself. I was commenting on TT's color choice because we both ordered the silver frame. I wanted to mix it up a little because I already have a black/red FS and a black beater bike (my 1st SS, now 1x6).

This was my first dedicated SS bike that was supposed to be on the cheap, but I got a little carried away. :rolleyes: The wheels are WTB Speediscs I got cheap from a LBS closing down, mated to some IRC Kujos DH 2.35 (heavy!). As you can see, I built mine mainly for off-road duty to be easy to maintain, which is why I opted to go rigid fork with fat tires.

I finished her yesterday morning and barely got a quick ride around the neighborhood when things got busy (Mother's Day). I almost took today off from work to get in a quick morning ride (ugh, why didn't I go?). I'll post a ride report once I get her on the trail. These are probably the last pics of her totally spotless (sorry to hijack the post TT):

Attachments

·
College
1,198 Posts
Curious said:
Sorry for the confusion, I'm waiting for TT to finish his build myself. I was commenting on TT's color choice because we both ordered the silver frame. I wanted to mix it up a little because I already have a black/red FS and a black beater bike (my 1st SS, now 1x6).

This was my first dedicated SS bike that was supposed to be on the cheap, but I got a little carried away. :rolleyes: The wheels are WTB Speediscs I got cheap from a LBS closing down, mated to some IRC Kujos DH 2.35 (heavy!). As you can see, I built mine mainly for off-road duty to be easy to maintain, which is why I opted to go rigid fork with fat tires.

I finished her yesterday morning and barely got a quick ride around the neighborhood when things got busy (Mother's Day). I almost took today off from work to get in a quick morning ride (ugh, why didn't I go?). I'll post a ride report once I get her on the trail. These are probably the last pics of her totally spotless (sorry to hijack the post TT):
What's the chain stay length on that, it looks huge.

·
wheeler
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ok I'm back, very sweet build boys... Tony never sold a Mia into Ontario before, so there's a good chance I'm the only silver this side of the border...fer now at least...I know after I get this badboy on the trails...I'll be answering a lot of questions...LOL...
I can not believe how SEXY this frame is.... MAMMMA MIA is right :D :D :D
I can't stop touching it :cool: :D :D :D
got home from work today and there she was...all purdy like... nice and light I though until I picked up the fork...wow mama..but bahhh who cares I'm sure it's gonna ride like dream :cool:
first impression.... WOW...Tony is putting out some SICK frames...the welds, the super clean lines, the finish, little touches all over the frame are making me giggle like a schoolgirl :D :D
right after undressin' 'er
:cool:

diggin' the crafstmanship:cool:

check out the clearance :eek:

this is a 2.7" tire off of my fr bike :D not that I'd ever want to, but there's enough room for a 2.8" eazy :rolleyes:

and the little touches I mentioned earlier..this is going to be one clean bike

should have it ready for the weekend........... :cool: :D

·
AussieLostInNyc
650 Posts
Ride Report?

Hey Guys.. what does the IRO ride like and did anyone grab one built?
I first checked the website just over a year ago then got a KM so haven't looked
and now they seem to have come thru with the goods.
I have a friend wanting(desperately needing) to update a bike and I have him convinced to SS. Are they heavy'ish?? What is the build on the complete bike? It does not say.
I can email them or pedal over as I am in the neighbourhood but a riders view is always nice.
Any info back is good.
Gumby

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Not available complete

gumby said:
Hey Guys.. what does the IRO ride like and did anyone grab one built?
I first checked the website just over a year ago then got a KM so haven't looked
and now they seem to have come thru with the goods.
I have a friend wanting(desperately needing) to update a bike and I have him convinced to SS. Are they heavy'ish?? What is the build on the complete bike? It does not say.
I can email them or pedal over as I am in the neighbourhood but a riders view is always nice.
Any info back is good.
Gumby
I don't think the frame seems heavy, but I think the fork is on the heavy side. My large is heavyish but it has some real heavy, burly parts on it (the chain is a pound). I cant get a good feel yet for how it rides. Maybe I can have someone who's not temporaily disabled ride it this weekend and report back, I'm guessing it will be similar to say a Surly 1x1. It may even ride better due to the design of the stays.

You can check with Tony on a complete build, but last I knew he did not sell them that way. I have been building a few IROs, some to sell, but I don't have a consistant build kit to be able to offer. I'm also in CA so if your buddy is in NY, he may be better off doing it there. If he wants a light bike and is OK with V brakes, the Highlander is cool, I have two and they weigh about 22 # each, they are also cheaper.

·
AussieLostInNyc
650 Posts
Thanks Mattman

I also live in NY. Can't seem to get thru via ph or email though.
I did find the weight of the complete build. Under 20 pounds. Seems real light
or perhaps I am used to the KM. They are offering a complete build at a fair
price if I can work out the build kit. Think I will point him in the direction of the
mia still.
Gumby

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.