Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Retro on Steroids
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the early days of surfing, you carved your own board.

In the early days of mountain biking, you had to make your own bike. Now I wouldn't think of it, because it's hard to put a full suspension system together in your garage.

Pre-suspension though, a lot of people built their own bikes, and I have a collecition of photos of unusual "one-off" bikes. I have wooden bikes, fiberglass bikes, and weird designs. Here is the first of hopefully many, and I look forward to other contributions

Scanned this from a negative, and then I noticed how dirty my scanner was. Sorry.

The bike is one I saw at the 1992 Sea Otter before the event was a "classic," because that was the first year. I have no other information on the bike or owner. Maybe he'll turn up here..

Attachments

·
Retro on Steroids
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean there were MORE of these? My bad. It's only been 14 years, and now that you mention it, I remember the name. The photo turned up in the files with no explanation. You gotta admit, it looks like he whipped it up in shop class.

The last time I learned anything new about mountain bikes was 1990. Everything since is a blur. Maybe I need to drink more.

Okay, next I'm going to post the fiberglass bike. There was definitely only one, and it broke.

·
IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
1,493 Posts
Repack Rider said:
You mean there were MORE of these? My bad. It's only been 14 years, and now that you mention it, I remember the name. The photo turned up in the files with no explanation. You gotta admit, it looks like he whipped it up in shop class.

The last time I learned anything new about mountain bikes was 1990. Everything since is a blur. Maybe I need to drink more.

Okay, next I'm going to post the fiberglass bike. There was definitely only one, and it broke.
yeah, i would have a hard time thinking more than one were built too if i stumbled across one and knew nothing about it. i've got a few one off's but none were built by "non industry" guys.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This thread is pretty funny to me, actually. There has been one of those frames hanging in the corner of the shop where I work for years now. (It's purple.)

I remember going to Interbike Anaheim in either '90 or '91 and trying to figure out which design was the weirdest: It was a toss up between the Retrotech or the Slingshot. Of course, at that time, there were plenty of off beat suspension designs (anyone remember the first Trek design with the stack of rubber bumpers?)

Anyway that frame is a Retrotech. It might possibly be the worst design ever, but the guys that built them were good guys and fun.

BT

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
If I remember correctly, Didn;t Joe Breeze build a cable-suspended bike for that "Bikes as Art" exhibit in San Francisco? If I recall correctly, it looked sort of like an anorexic Trimble made of steel with cables spanning where traditional tubes would have run...

Does anyone remember it, or have pics? I thought it was pretty cool...

rb

·
just rub some dirt on it
293 Posts
CK-
1992 does not seem like it was 14 years ago......does it?....or is it just me? Anywho...Thanks for posting your pics and telling your stories, the history of mountain biking and the bikes need to be told and shared. It seems like you should almost post in the Beginner's Corner forum with a link to your site so those folks know what it's all about.

·
Registered
55 Posts
*****n'!!

look at that quick fill behind the seat mast!!!!

ud

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Boy named SSue said:
I'm still bummed that Jeff beat me to that one on CL a year ago. Jeff, how is that thing coming?
Yeah, he beat me to it too.

Sky's link at the top of this thread is the finished product. Came out great.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Yeah, he beat me to it too.

Sky's link at the top of this thread is the finished product. Came out great.
I forgot that you were in the running for it. The seller emailed me that some guy in N.C. with a bike museum wanted it but he wasn't sure if he wanted to ship it. All I could do was ask whether it was Jeff and tell him that he had a reputation for being a real stand up guy and the bike would have the best home it could wish for.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Boy named SSue said:
I forgot that you were in the running for it. The seller emailed me that some guy in N.C. with a bike museum wanted it but he wasn't sure if he wanted to ship it. All I could do was ask whether it was Jeff and tell him that he had a reputation for being a real stand up guy and the bike would have the best home it could wish for.

See...I said that Jeff is a jerk and FFB was an evil vintage bike black hole and that they get melted down for scrap metal.

;)

The reply I got was that it was going an NC museum. I said that was a good decision.

·
Retro on Steroids
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
richieb said:
If I remember correctly, Didn;t Joe Breeze build a cable-suspended bike for that "Bikes as Art" exhibit in San Francisco? If I recall correctly, it looked sort of like an anorexic Trimble made of steel with cables spanning where traditional tubes would have run...

Does anyone remember it, or have pics? I thought it was pretty cool...
Yes and I have the photos, natch. Just ran across them yesterday, including photos of Lindsay, Cunningham, Potts, Breeze, Nicol etc. with one-off bikes.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of installing a HP printer to my laptop, and it creates some sort of conflict with my HP scanner, so now the scanner won't work.

Solve my problem, MTBR, or wait forever for the pix.

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Rumpfy said:
See...I said that Jeff is a jerk and FFB was an evil vintage bike black hole and that they get melted down for scrap metal.

;)

The reply I got was that it was going an NC museum. I said that was a good decision.
I don't know about this First Flight Bikes love in. Coffee is for closers boys ;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Retrotec

A buddy of mine raced for them in the early 90's...he told me about this rig you post. Full suspension RetroTec. He said the back kinda flexed like crap. To weak for most peoples legs. Speaking of Strength, you ever hear of the RetroTec Team Bus?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts