Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I like the look of this bike.

The dropbars are a new twist for this frame(at least for me) and the all black wheelset combo up front looks better than the aluminum color rear wheel.It gives the bike a very vintage look.Reminds me of those old motorcycles they raced on the boarded ovals back in the thirties.

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Built for 28"

Fillet-brazed said:
Thats a neat bike. Did you have to grind anything away to make the bigger wheels work?
I`m sure you already know the history of the 26" wheel and why it is the MTB standard.This frame was built for 28" wheels which was the adult standard at the time.Tons of clearance up front but I`m limited to the 1.9' out back.
More to come,Jeff

·
Registered
374 Posts
jeff said:
I`m sure you already know the history of the 26" wheel and why it is the MTB standard.This frame was built for 28" wheels which was the adult standard at the time.Tons of clearance up front but I`m limited to the 1.9' out back.
More to come,Jeff
Intresting bike. Very classy. +10 points for getting rollecm brakes on that centr-mount. Nice bike.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
jeff said:
What is the definition of a Clunker?Discuss.

1930`s Colson Flyer.
29"er conversion
Ok....any bike with roller cams, dirt drops, and a Brooks saddle is no clunker...that bike is sweeeet!

Unless, of course, you're referring to 'clunker' as a general age/style reference....then yeah, nice clunker! :)

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clunker

Rumpfy said:
Ok....any bike with roller cams, dirt drops, and a Brooks saddle is no clunker...that bike is sweeeet!

Unless, of course, you're referring to 'clunker' as a general age/style reference....then yeah, nice clunker! :)
Yes,age and style.I would love to see some originals.I have a 1966 Schwinn cruiser frame that the prior owner retrofited with canti posts and d/hanger back in the 70`s.That is where the modern mtb came from.Come on guys,pull em out of the attic and post.
Jeff

·
Registered
779 Posts
well, this clunker used to be mine:

http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1966_Schwinn_Cruiser_ATB.htm

it actually was built to be an off-road cruiser before the builder even heard of the guys in the bay area building off road bikes called mountain bikes.

i sold it on ebay and now jeff at first flight ownes it. he's taken good care of it.

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Parts list

Brooks B-72
Big Cheese post
Suntour Rollercam brake/Hoffman ubrake adapter
Tioga hs
Stem?
WTB drops
Modolo Speedy lever
Mountain Speed BB converter
XC Pro BB
XT 180/Sugino 38t
Redline flipflop 36h/Rhyno Lite/ACX 16t/WTB Mutanoraptor
Shimano 105 36h/Wolber Alpine/Motoraptor

Parts from everywhere.BMX,touring,MTB,road and vintage.That is what makes a Clunker.
Jeff

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Cool Clunker Jeff. I think you pretty much have embodied the essence of the gendre at least as I understand it.

Here is a more modern version made by Don McClung in Salida, CO.

(photo courtesy of Absolute Bikes)

Right on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i built this bike to use around town but its so fun to ride my ti bikes are collecting dust..
1959? columbia 5 star frame
rusty cruiser fork
king headset
bullseye cranks
xc pro pedals
velomax front wheel with ti-dye spokes
coaster rear hub with aluminum rim
acs bmx stem
club roost riser bar
fluted aluminum post
flite seat
simple and fun!
cruise on..

Attachments

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,170 Posts
Bigwheel said:

Prices are $2500 un painted for frame and fork.......

The most rigid bike I have ever rode off road, I would rather run.

Scoty

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
banks said:
Prices are $2500 un painted for frame and fork.......

The most rigid bike I have ever rode off road, I would rather run.

Scoty
I had a feeling a Don bike would show up.There are a few up here on the front range also.Is that Matts ride?.I have never seen someone so hard on bikes.

Great Columbia up there.These things just rip at speed.
Jeff

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If anyone would know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It would be you.CB must have more true clunkers per capita then anyplace in the nation.
Jeff

Right on.[/QUOTE]

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Bigwheel said:
Cool Clunker Jeff. I think you pretty much have embodied the essence of the gendre at least as I understand it.

Right on.
I've one of Don's bikes at paint right now. I had a chance to scope it out before they started laying the color down, it has some pretty cool little touches. I'll post some pics when the time comes. I recall Don telling me he based his twin tube design on the 30's Pierce Arrows but Jeff's Colson Flyer looks pretty close.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Here's one that hangs around my shop. Great for getting the mail....

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.