Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
75% Mountain cycle
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding this thing for about 6 months now and love it! I still need a 5th Element for the rear but that purchase is a financial burdon at this point.

Anyway - please post pics of your San Andreas'.

Attachments

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
I am very suprised that . . .

VIA and The Sherpa haven't come in here and told you how "UGLY" your bike is! When I posted mine, all I got was a bunch O' kids saying it was ugly and "old school" and didn't ride for crap etc, etc. but I still like it. Trying to set it up for more resort style stuff. Got some new flat peddles and thinking about a chainguide next.

Bike doesn't climb very well in rocky conditions, fun on the downhills though.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
Me too...

DJBiker said:
VIA and The Sherpa haven't come in here and told you how "UGLY" your bike is! When I posted mine, all I got was a bunch O' kids saying it was ugly and "old school" and didn't ride for crap etc, etc. but I still like it. Trying to set it up for more resort style stuff. Got some new flat peddles and thinking about a chainguide next.

I'm surprised too, kids can be so cruel. There is an awful lot of cable housing there, didn't really notice that last time I saw the bike in person. What is "resort style stuff"? You mean like ski resorts? Downhilling? You keep mentioning it, but I don't quite know what you mean......

·
Banned
20 Posts
DJBiker said:

On the contrary, I think that bike looks really cool. I am kind of new to mtn. biking, and have beaten my Motiv that I got at Costco pretty much to hell. I saw that same model San Andreas on clearance at a web mail order place, they had it built up completely for like $399. It had a lot of parts on it from 2000 & 2001, but the guy on the phone at the web place said it would still work well, the only weakness in the bike was the "derayler hanger"? I don't really want to go back to Costco and pay $299 for another Motiv, do you think there is enough difference between the two bikes to justify the extra $$? I appreciate your input.

On a side note, does the DJ stand for your initials, or for "dirt jumping"? If it's your initials, thats cool because mine are DJ too!

Don

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Dam, Netscape crashes more than I do . . .

riggse said:
I'm surprised too, kids can be so cruel. There is an awful lot of cable housing there, didn't really notice that last time I saw the bike in person. What is "resort style stuff"? You mean like ski resorts? Downhilling? You keep mentioning it, but I don't quite know what you mean......
Yea, kid can be cruel, like when they beat you up and take your lunch money!

One of the nice things about the Mt. Cycle is that it has "full length cable housing" meaning there is no place where the Derullier, dureailer, oh, hell, shifter cable is not covered in housing, this keeps out dirt and makes cables last a really long time, it looks like a lot o' housing, but it's ok.

I know you are dealing with cable routing on your Bighit and I would guess my front shifter cable could be a bit shorter, but it's ok for now and keeps the front shifting smoothly.

Resort riding in my little world is more specificly Mammoth Mt. in CA, every year my wife and I go for a few days, ride the tram to the top and buggy down all the way, the trails are not as rough as our desert trails. Yea, there are a few technical sections on some of the trails, but for the most part the trails are smooth and/or sandy in the corners.

My Mt. Cycle has a few issues which could all be solved with the application of a nice new Bighit. That, of course would add some new issues in itself, upgrade Jr. T, find a good chainguide, bigger tires, and bingo, Killer bike. You know 'cause you got one.

You know I need to get a new bighit, but you also know that I can't find one in the right size.

Best I can do right now is hope to "Upgrade my Skills" by riding with guys willing to wait for my slow arse and teach me "da mad skills"

By the way, when is the next weekend trip to sunrise?

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Yes, a Mt. Cycle San Andres is a nice bike . . .

but . . . as long as you are aware of the drawbacks to it's design. My frame is a 2002, so I have a replaceable derail. hanger (and I have replaced 3 of them so far, they can get a little pricey at $ 20 bucks a pop).

Single pivot bikes tend to have a rear suspension that doesn't react well to rider induced weight shift. English translation: Major pedal "bob" that can really suck your energy in a long climb. (also the bike comes with either a 4 inch travel option or a 6 inch travel option) I got the 6 inch so my bike is worse than the 4 inch option. Most of the "bob" issues could be HELPED, not fixed, but helped with a "Pushed" rear shock, or buying a newer frameset that can fit a 5th element coil or some other "Stable Platform" shock.

All of these things require money, throughing money at a 10 year old suspension designed frame just doesn't make sense to me.

So, I love the bike for what it is, but if it's only a few dollars more than a "CostCo" bike, same your money and try to find a deal on a 4-bar design frame, or even a nice "more updated design" single pivot, Jensonusa.com has a nice KHS 504 with newer stuff for like 6 hundred or less, I forget.

I don't you should buy something based on price alone, you might have to wait a little while to get something, but in the longrun you will be better off getting something more suited to your riding conditions and riding style.

If that is a San Andres, go for it, just go with realistic expections. Ride on

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Sorry, yea DJ is my initials . . .

But I an waiting for things to cool down a bit so I can try some Dirt Jumping with this bike, it's fun on stairs and urban drops (although I too old to try any really "Sick" stuff) I might get a broke up and then my wife would kill me for not being able to perform my husbandly duties.

Hehehe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
(hopefully my attached image file shows up...)

It's not a San Andreas, but it's a Mountain Cycle- does that count?

It's just a little bit dirty (pic taken a few weeks ago in our Mammoth hotel room...)

Attachments

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Nice

Somebodys got the cash to spring for a "DELUXE room with a loft"

Nice bike, all the things I wish my bike had, dual-crown front fork, 8 inch brakes, and room for a better rear shock.

Ah, to dream, it's a SIN, get it, a SIN.

Sorry, couldn't help myself

·
Registered
159 Posts
Let's see more Mountain Cycle pics

Honestly, our room was quite a bargain. 4 of us got the "pay for the room/ride for free package"- two days in the room, two day unlimited bike passes all for only $85 a piece. It was supposed to be the standard double-bed room, but for some reason they upgraded us the deluxe room w/loft (which meant I wouldn't have to sleep on the floor...)

I wanted a San Andreas back when I started mtbiking ('98), but when the Sin came out and I realized it was front deraileur compatible, I knew that was my next bike. It can climb with a 2 or 3-ring setup (although at 45 lbs. it's not much fun), but coming back down it's nice to have a bike with some mass beneath me- along with the 7+ inches of travel and 8 inch discs.

DJBiker said:
Somebodys got the cash to spring for a "DELUXE room with a loft"

Nice bike, all the things I wish my bike had, dual-crown front fork, 8 inch brakes, and room for a better rear shock.

Ah, to dream, it's a SIN, get it, a SIN.

Sorry, couldn't help myself

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
ryanc44 said:
(hopefully my attached image file shows up...)

It's not a San Andreas, but it's a Mountain Cycle- does that count?

It's just a little bit dirty (pic taken a few weeks ago in our Mammoth hotel room...)
that's a cool bike.

·
What's this for anyway???
145 Posts
FAR OUT!!! Look at the BB Height on that 2nd one... you'd be riding as high as a truck with that!

Oh, BTW, I've always been a fan of Mountain Cycle and today I saw my first Shockwave 9.5 in person and oooooohhhh... if only I didn't already have a killer bike. The price tag was a bit rich tho, only being about $50 AUD less than a V10

<b>---Matt---</b>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts