Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might do another short track race this weekend. Last week I just left my tires set-up the way they were (Rampage front/21.5PSI & Jones XR rear 29PSI). I'm just lazy, and I was more concerned about having fun than I was doing well. The course is not technical at all, and can be ridden on a cyclocross bike very fast (banked corners, groomed trail).
Enoch hooked me up with some old tires. Here's what I got:
IRC Mythos 2.1
WTB Moto Raptor 2.1
Ignitor 2.1
Jones ACX 2.2
Any ideas on a fast combo with lower rolling resistance and weight? I might actually find the resolve to swap tires before the race if I decide to enter.

Attachments

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
if it's pretty dry pump those mythos up to about 35ps and let it rip. a bit bumpy perhaps, and maybe a bit loose in the corners but that tire really felt fast when i had em... useless for tech stuff though

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
I'd leave the panaracer up front and throw the Ignitor on the rear. I ride exi front and ignitor rear and love that combo.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
XR in back, no question. Up front I might have said Ignitor in the past, but frankly I don't find the Rampage to roll any slower in the 'forward' direction.

·
Politically Incorrect
643 Posts
Hey Dicky-

I'm gonna be there tomorrow on a borrowed bike from Black Sheep Cycles. If you like the tires (or any other parts on it), I'll donate 'em. I'll tell Ethan I was hijacked or something.

Yeah, Mert... I'm racin' tomorrow!! :thumbsup:
First bicycle race I've ever been to - why not race in it? :D
To prepare, I'm only eating 4 slices of bacon not my usual 8...

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Sit down in front of the TV. Bring the Moto and a good knife. Chop them knobs off, they're useless comapred to those on other 29" tires. Maybe with shorter knobs, the Moto will be a properly fast rear tire for you.
But really, if you're racing, get a Crow and Karma 2.0.

·
Politically Incorrect
643 Posts
I might do another short track race this weekend. Last week I just left my tires set-up the way they were (Rampage front/21.5PSI & Jones XR rear 29PSI). I'm just lazy, and I was more concerned about having fun than I was doing well. The course is not technical at all, and can be ridden on a cyclocross bike very fast (banked corners, groomed trail).
Enoch hooked me up with some old tires. Here's what I got:
IRC Mythos 2.1
WTB Moto Raptor 2.1
Ignitor 2.1
Jones ACX 2.2
Any ideas on a fast combo with lower rolling resistance and weight? I might actually find the resolve to swap tires before the race if I decide to enter.
Any of those other tires for sale?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.