Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Lemmy Rules!
1,772 Posts
So...Sunday was Unglued Jr's first day on the trails, thanks to a borrowed trail-a-bike. And the good news is that he pedalled up all the hills, held on tight down all the descents, and kept a big smile on his face all day. And Rocket Dog was there with his camera on hand to capture the whole event.

A big day for me too - the first time I got to combine my two favourite things - being a dad and riding my bike.

And you will notice my little guy riding platforms and wearing baggies, just to offset my sausage suit

Attachments

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
It's amazing what a winter will do for kids. Your son's getting so big! :eek:

Kaikara's son was out with us building on Saturday and he's shot right up too! :thumbsup:

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
will that trail-a-bike take 650b? unless this conversation somehow deviates into a discussion about 650b it doesn't really belong on this site.

·
That's not a W
457 Posts
What a cutie!

I watched a video once of a little girl mountain biking on a trail-a-bike. The camera was pointed backwards on the seat post, I think, and it showed that a big smile never left her face. It was awesome. Would be fun to do that for Unglued Jr.

·
I dd what you see there.
717 Posts
The Kid is probably thinking the whole time "Dad, is it your turn to push ME now!?!?!?!"

:lol:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Working with my "Junior development team" most evenings, still focusing on bike handling and fundamentals.

As for the trail-a-bike, I'm not sure if they'd be willing to let me steer a bike they were riding or not... they've already expressed vague doubts about some of my cycling talents.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm in this boat too, curious about what age is good to try some dirt and/or a kids race. It's been a while since I paid any attention to easy dirt paths, have to start looking out for them again!

·
Registered
207 Posts
My 5 year old loves it out there on his "14er" coaster-brake supercycle! He has to hike a bike up any steep or technical climbs, but he rips that little beast over minor roots and rocks on flowy terrain. It's super fun being out there with him and he absolutely loves it.

He's dying to enter a "Race". Does anyone know if they have little kids races/events at O-cup or other events?

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
He's dying to enter a "Race". Does anyone know if they have little kids races/events at O-cup or other events?
There's always a big kids race at Summer Solstice. Very popular! :thumbsup:

There was even a kids race at the Springbank crit last weekend. The youngest rider was 3 - so cute! :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had lots of fun with my kids on the trail a bike. Both just out for fun and during some kid's races. It's surprising what you can ride over with the trail a bike as long as your little one can hold on tight. As for kid's races The CDMBR has a free kids race that is 3-4 km long through some mild flat singletrack. Last year we had almot 50 kids! There is also the Canal Days Festival that weekend with lots for the kids to do post race with a great fireworks display and boat parade that night.

My kids started on their own riding single track at 5 and 6 years old. I found a great place to start was in parks with campgrounds off season. Lots of gravel roads to ride with no cars and lots of mini sections of "singletrack" between campsites and washrooms etc.. to get them hooked with lots of quick escape options for that inevitable crash and following waterworks. It's pretty neat how playing around in a campround with your kids and bikes can be as much fun as some of the best epic rides you have done.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Does anyone know if they have little kids races/events at O-cup or other events?
I think that almost every O-Cup (not sure about the Canada Cup) has a Kids Race at 1:00. There must have been about 20 kids out for the one at Mansfield. Each 8 hour has one too, and as GM said, the 24 hour has one. At the O-Cup, the "race" is open to all kids up to 8 years old. After that they are old enough to race in the morning categories.

If BMX racing is your thing, there is an open house on May 26th at the Milton BMX track: https://www.mbmxracing.com/. I believe that the age categories go much younger for BMX racing, and there might even be a strider class this year. I am taking both my daughters to the open house.

Here is a photo set of the Mansfield Kids Race Mansfield Kids Race - a set on Flickr to give you an idea of what to expect (which is lots of kids biking on grass, with lots of adults running, or sometimes biking, around after them).

Mansfield 2012 (175)

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
Gabi tends to rather go run in the woods. So less getting out riding for now. But I have a feeling if my wife starts riding again Gabi would be willing to ride more.

·
Registered
740 Posts
great thread, nice to see young riders take to the trails...my little guy is almost 8 months and I'm already scouring the web for runbike reviews...think I've decided on a Strider, only question now is will he ride before he walks...

·
Registered
740 Posts
that's awesome - GM what kind of helmet is he wearing? We haven't been able to find a helmet that would fit our little guy's head, everything is huge on him...haven't yet taken the chariot out on the bike but we've been running with him for a few months now

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
great thread, nice to see young riders take to the trails...my little guy is almost 8 months and I'm already scouring the web for runbike reviews...think I've decided on a Strider, only question now is will he ride before he walks...
Theo will be 7 months on Sunday (Mother's Day!) and he's getting better in the trailer all the time. Really looking forward to starting him on a run bike! :)

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
that's awesome - GM what kind of helmet is he wearing? We haven't been able to find a helmet that would fit our little guy's head, everything is huge on him...haven't yet taken the chariot out on the bike but we've been running with him for a few months now
It's a Garneau helmet. We got it on loan from a friend so I'm not sure where you can get them. Even with the thickest pads, it's still roomy so we've been putting it on over his hood. His melon's getting bigger all the time though so it should fit properly soon. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts