Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Ologist
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It continues to amaze me that riders (and runners) in the Alps, Kenai, and in Anchorage fail to make any noise as they fly down tight single track riddled with blind corners. Aside from it being in every riders best interest to let their presence be known to other riders, it is also in every bear's best interest to hear you. As someone who is out somewhere almost everyday, I am getting tired of 25 mph near misses.

You may also have noticed that there are a few more bears roaming about this year, particularly in the Campbell Airstrip area. Bears (mostly blacks) have been venturing into areas and nieghborhoods where they typically have not frequented before.Any false sense of security developed by living in or near Anchorage's urban environment is just that - false!! By making some noise out there you may appreciate me, my 30 lb. bike, and the bear chasing us missing you; and I will appreciate not getting a phone call to dispatch a bear because somebody was pedalling quietly by a salmon infested stream, or spooked a blackie that was just grudgingly forced off the stream by Mr. Brownie. So...please, lets make some noise!!! I Look forward to hearing you around the corner on the trail! ;)

·
ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
287 Posts
Bear Bells on the Handlebar Stem

Valhalla said:
It continues to amaze me that riders (and runners) in the Alps, Kenai, and in Anchorage fail to make any noise as they fly down tight single track riddled with blind corners.
I have a bear bell on the stem of my handle bars and I find it works well, though some are annoyed by the constant ringing, I phase it out and I think it works well for everyone but the headphone hikers/walkers on the trail. They are my biggest annoyance when flying down the trail or climbing a hill. The last few times I have been out the bell plus yelling ahead asking for a side of the trail still has failed to catch the attention of those ahead.

Christopher

1 - 2 of 2 Posts