Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't be the only one that has fallen over because I was being absent minded. Thankfully for me there weren't a lot of people around when I took a dive. I suffered some minor scrapes and bruises, but I think it is a pretty funny story and just wanted to share (hopefully someone will get a chuckle out of it). Here goes:

I head out one Saturday for what will end up being a ~25 mile ride around town (streets, bike paths, etc). It's THE FIRST DAY of me riding clipped in and after being warned that "Everyone will fall at least once" I am trying to be super vigilant because I am determined to be the exception to the rule. I cruise around a parking lot clipping in and out to get a feel for the pedals in case I need to bail out. After about 10 to 15 minutes I feel like I'm ready to begin my ride. About 3 miles into my ride I ride up onto a small curb lip at a shallow angle and the bike starts to lean to one side and I think that I'm a goner, but I'm able to turn the wheel into the turn and get the bike back under me. After being scared by the near fall, I continue to practice clipping in and out for the next couple of miles or so. About 10 miles into my ride, I'm riding near some horse stables and come to a hill that I need to ride up. As I approach the hill, there's a tractor coming down the path so I decide to circle at the bottom of the hill until the tractor passes by. I end up going a little too slow as I'm circling and go to put my foot on the ground as I would if I had platform pedals. Needless to say, my foot didn't come off of the pedal and I immediately hit the ground. After getting up and brushing myself off, I high tailed it out of there before anyone had a chance to question why some guy was laying around on the bike path.

This was the only time that I actually fell to the ground (although I've had a close call or two since then). I felt pretty dumb at the time for falling over going about 1 mph, but I had been pre-warned that "Everyone falls". Anyone else have an interesting story about falling over?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Mike T. said:
I told a story once on parachuting.com about forgetting to pull my ripcord.
I have the proud distinction of encouraging a parachute school to start using radios to communicate landing directions with the newbs rather than a large arrow on the ground...

When I first started riding clipless I went on a large organized road ride in some hilly country and was chatting up some girls when towards the top of a hill the pitch increased just enough to catch me not paying attention and just as I was suggesting we should get together I lost momentum before I could change to a lower gear cleanly and did the old try-to-put-the-foot-down-as-if-I'm-on-platform-pedals and promptly fell off the side of the road. The girls just smiled at me as they continued on up the hill....so embarrassing....

·
Registered
851 Posts
My first time clipless was a trip (~3yrs ago); I had forgotten my sneakers so I ran out at lunch to get pedals and shoes so I could make the after work ride. Anyway, it was raining a bit and as I was JRA there was puddle that I thought was a foot or so deep, it seemed murky. About 3/4 of the through the puddle, which was about 8 feet long and actually 3 ft deep, my front wheel hit something - I fell over and I couldn't figure out how to un-clip. So I was completely submerged for what felt like 20 minutes with my buddy looking down at me laughing his ass off. I did finally figure out how to un-clip and I was really happy I left my cell phone in the car that day. I still get teased about that day from time to time...

Anthony

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
A few years ago I lost a bolt on my cleat while riding and when I came to a stop and attempted to clip out, I rotated my foot and the cleat also rotated on one bolt and I fell over. Used a rotor bolt to secure the cleat for the rest of the ride.

That's the only one I can think of since 1995 when I first started riding clipless

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
Personally I see no reason why people are told "everybody falls". There is no reason that "everybody should fall" and telling people this just telling them to fail.

I do not tell apprentices at work that they WILL get caught in a lathe chuck and get maimed/killed even though this is certainly a posibality (sp) so why do we tell new (to clipless) riders this.

It's almost like telling them they don't need to learn to use the pedals properly at all.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
gumbymark said:
Personally I see no reason why people are told "everybody falls". There is no reason that "everybody should fall" and telling people this just telling them to fail.
It's like saying "everyone flats" or everyone misses shifts" or whatever. People say it so when you do fall, or flat, or miss that shift, you don't feel so bad. I don't believe that anyone views it as an excuse or encouragement to fail.

Back on topic, since I ride flats now I don't fall. :D Last time I fell while clipped in was two years ago.

·
*Contents Under Pressure
352 Posts
gumbymark said:

I do not tell apprentices at work that they WILL get caught in a lathe chuck and get maimed/killed even though this is certainly a posibality (sp) so why do we tell new (to clipless) riders this.

It's almost like telling them they don't need to learn to use the pedals properly at all.
As can be evidenced by the OP, this leads to a desire to be the exception to the rule. :thumbsup:

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
I have a friend who spent 3 weeks falling all over the place because he couldn't unclip to put a foot down, he was ready to go back to platforms...then he figured out he had his right cleat mounted to his left shoe and his left cleat mounted to his right shoe:p .

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
Random Drivel said:
It's like saying "everyone flats" or everyone misses shifts" or whatever. People say it so when you do fall, or flat, or miss that shift, you don't feel so bad. I don't believe that anyone views it as an excuse or encouragement to fail.
Everybody flats certainly but if your constantly pinch flatting while nobody else in your group
does it becomes less about bad luck and more about bad riding or inadequate equipment.

In no way am I having a go at the OP or anybody else I just have a problem with the "falls are just a part of riding" mentality. They aren't and they should never be.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gumbymark said:
This is just my opinion, but I think people say it to put the noob at ease. A lot of times people build up so much anxiety about falling that they are not sure if they should try clipless pedals. It's kind of like saying, "Don't let the fear of falling discourage you from trying clpless pedals. If you fall, you'll get up and you'll be okay. Plenty of people have fallen. It isn't that big of a deal."

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
gumbymark said:
They aren't and they should never be.
:skep: You never ever fall, ever? So I'm guessing you just tootle around at walking speed and walk anything that looks techy at all. Either that or your the MTB equivelant of Jesus.

I haven't fallen over from clip ins in a while, once you get used to them they are very intuitive to get out of. Yeah, I fell over once or twice when I started, nothing too exceptional about it though, just stopped, then fell. Looked like a doofus, and swore never to let it happen again.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Gumbymark, you're off the mark IMHO, after all Gumby is supposed to be flexible...:D

If you never fell at all while riding clipless good for you, but falling does happen to a lot of us when switching over (one good reason to practice clipping in and clipping out a while in a nice soft grassy field while learning, something I chose to ignore and just start riding). It's not a big deal in any case...

·
Wonder Boy
35 Posts
I did the recommended route; clipped in an out while being supported, moved to open field and practiced and practiced. Couple days later braved the trails. First ride was on the dogsled trails nearby. The area around the clubhouse was rutted from vehicle traffic and I dropped the front wheel into a rut, stopped abruptly, and toppled right over.

Just after that I was riding with my son on a relaxed evening ride and for no reason, he went OTB right in front of me. Again, stopped abruptly and toppled over.

Last time I care to remember was in a state recreation area that had just opened to mountain biking. I came up on two people carrying fishing poles and didn't want to startle them. I clicked my brake levers to let them know I was back there, but they must not have heard me. I was practically stopped behind them when one started to turn around. Sure enough, too slow, forgot I was clipped in. Folded like a house made of cards right in front of them.

Bill

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
Clutchman83 said:
:skep: You never ever fall, ever? So I'm guessing you just tootle around at walking speed and walk anything that looks techy at all. Either that or your the MTB equivelant of Jesus.
I've done my own share of "horizontal trackstands" Caused by either incompetance (me not being good enough) or a mechanical.

I fell once on the roadie at an intersection. I had the first generation SPD-R pedals, came to
the intersection, went to unclip my right foot, nothing, tried again, no movement. I went over. Had a look at shoe when I got up and there was a rock caught in my shoe which jammed the cleat in the pedal.

The "fallings just part of riding" would say that was bad luck, I say I should never have gone over then because I should have unclipped my left foot instead of the trying to get the right out. I was too used to unclipping my right over my left.

Oh and I have more riding induced scars and titanium plates than Jesus.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i fell the other day in the last hour of a 4hr in 35°C weather (australia = summer). coming up a short pinch climb behind one of the club juniors - he's a good little rider, but he just had no momentum over the top of the pinch so i caught him very quickly. tried to unclip but i was super tired and it just didn't disengage and over i went... haven't done that in a while and i've been riding clipless for ~10years...

·
Registered
98 Posts
The first time I fell was about 10s into my first ride with them. I did the clip in and out thing in the parking lot before hand till I felt ok. The trail started at a break in an old farmers wall that I had gone thru many times. I kinda went in on a crooked line, front tire slipped off to one side, wedged, and I stopped. The group behind me said it was like watching a cartoon, I didn't fall until I looked down trying to figure out why my foot was stuck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.