Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am very interested to know what others are finding out there in terms of "lighter" weight kids mountain bikes... I am looking in the 20 and 24 inch realm. For a 5 and 7 year old. Strider days are over, they are killing it in the pump track, and we're looking past trail rides on the tag along. My daughter's mountain bike weighs as much as mine...sad face. We have looked at Haro BMX bikes and trying to reconfiguring them to a trail application. We have also checked out Isla, Norco and Scott...Does anyone have any advice or suggestions. Recent nursing school graduate, so completely out of the loop of knowledge, and so wanting back in!!! Any insight much appreciated :)

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Most of here build our kids bikes. I'm working on my 2nd bike. It's based on a Trek MT220. I'm upgrading and swapping parts for reduced weight and better performance, reduced the spoke count on the wheels, and swapped out to lighter tires and tubes.
I do most of the upgrades with used parts, or by upgrading my bike and handing down parts to the kids bikes.
Tires, tubes, chainand cassette were bought new though.
Read thru some of the build threads here for ideas.There are very few options for off-the-shelf light weight bikes.

·
Registered
12,402 Posts
Mini and micro-mini BMX race bikes can make decent starter trail biks if you gear them down a little bit. Not likely to find anything lighter without spending way too much money.

FWIW, I've never found bike weight to be much of an issue with my kid. Besides his BMX race bike, most of them have been pretty heavy. Overall quality and fit seems to make more of a difference than weight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.