Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Keep pedaling...
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Hilton Falls yesterday for a quick 12k - I like how I can now plow through the technical singletrack trails there very quickly (for me, relatively speaking!).

I'm going to head back out tomorrow morning if anyone is interested. I know its a weird time, but I'm working afternoons this week.

Also yesterday's ass-kicking got me thinking (rare occurance!): About how many calories per hour does one burn while on the MTB? Lets assume the person in question isn't dogging it or stopping, but constantly throwing down the hammer on the stupid rock gardens that the trails throw at him.

·
Keep pedaling...
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thedumbopinion said:
How is Hilton Falls? I was thinking about riding there on Saturday. I've never ridden in The Hammer before. Is that the best place?
Hilton Falls is not in The Hammer. It is in Milton - on Cambellville Rd. / Appleby Line, almost directly across the 401 from Glen Eden Ski Area / Kelso Cons. Area.

Hilton Falls has a lot of rocks. If you like getting thrown around a little, and getting off your bike to scope out lines and trying different stuff over again, then this is the place to be. Actually I make it sound worse than it is. Go there and ride the orange loop - it's a good 10+k and not too technical.

Across the highway, Kelso offers lots of fast flowy singletrack with minimal rocks / obstacles.

Both Hilton Falls and Kelso are run by Halton Conservation. A MTB pass costs $7, and you can ride both places for one fee. I suggest you go there one day and ride both places. Start at Kelso in the morning, then take a picnic lunch to the Hilton Falls picnic area and ride there in the afternoon.

If you like, I'd be happy to show you some of the fun areas I've discovered at either place. My pass will get you in for free.

·
Registered
487 Posts
paulster2626 said:
Also yesterday's ass-kicking got me thinking (rare occurance!): About how many calories per hour does one burn while on the MTB? Lets assume the person in question isn't dogging it or stopping, but constantly throwing down the hammer on the stupid rock gardens that the trails throw at him.
My first lap at SS this week was 1263 calories on a 1:00:28 lap at race pace (avg HR for the lap was 169 and my max was 183 to put it in perspectiveand I weigh about 195-200lbs). Its different for everyone and your body etc. The only way to get a half decent value (accurate to <+/-5%) is in a lab. I will attest to doing a few in a Kinesiology lab its a ***** to get it accurate, variables and measurements have to be exact. I will not say that the above number is even within 10% with just HR measurements and weight input, but gives you an idea.
KIN

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
KINBOY said:
My first lap at SS this week was 1263 calories on a 1:00:28 lap at race pace
KIN
Wow, i did not realize it is that high. No wonder riding makes me so hungry :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.