Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I can't ride 45!
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Red Eye Patrols being annonced and riders collected (when all the stars are aligned properly) on most Tuesdays and Thursdays, maybe we can organize some regular morning rides with dependable locations, times, and riders. I admit that I am not much of a morning person but I have not had the time to sneak in weekday daytime rides as often this summer -- a situation I assume most share -- and the frequent evening thunderstorms have been making cycling life difficult as well.

The few mornings that I have ventured out have been beautiful -- warm dry weather, trails mosit and tacky from the prior evening's rain, red sunrise over the prairie, and few trail users. What more could you want? Ok...a few more hours of sleep would be nice, but you can't have it all, right?

I am down for commiting to a ride ever Tuesday morning and making the ride regular and predictable. Anyone want to commit to Thursdays?. What time? Between 6:00 and 6:30 works for me. I like 6:30 because I get a few more precious minutes of sleep but maybe others need more lead time before work. Interested folk should chime in so I can decide on a time that accomodates...well...the interested folk.

What trails? I think rotating through a predetermined set of trails would prevent the ride from becoming too boring but would prevent the "Where are we riding this week?" type of trouble . The usual suspects, Apex, Dakota Ridge,Mathews/Winters, and Falcon, would probably minimize the drive for most and perhaps allow the folk farther north and south to make the ride on occasion. As an added bonus these are the trails that are best ridden at low traffic times -- two trips down Enchanted forest and I have seen no other trail users except a herd of elk.

So after all that blab'n does anyone want to get organized?

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know you guys have never ridden with me but I've been riding in the mornings all season (and the last two or three seasons) so I want to add my 2c.

Soon the sun will be rising later and we'll have to start later anyway so for the few weeks where the sun is up early I think a 6:AM meeting time is best. If you start earlier, you can stretch out the rides, and the traffic is lighter. In August or Sept, 6:30 will make more sense, but life (and summer ) is short. Summer is sacred and besides, is the 30 extra minutes of sleep going to make a difference? You can sleep when you're dead.

I like the rotation proposal and all those rides sound good to me. I can do both Tues and Thurs mornings already so I'm definately down with this plan.

·
eci
2,712 Posts
I'm very interested in starting a rotation on tues and thurs. I just have to get back into shape so im not holding you guys up(like i did this morning sorry guys, i guess a good mix of dh and xc is much smarter that just dhing or just xcing)

So anyways, where you guys plannin on thurs mornin? i was thinking of doing matthew winters/morrison slide loop

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
Morning Ride Organization...

Dudes -

I haven't ridden with any of you but I have come close a couple of times...I'm psyched about getting a regular morning ride going! I'm a bit of a planner, and regularity makes it easier on my schedule...I'm all for the weekly Thursday 6AM gig...

Now, if I can just stay away from that snooze button...

Tom

PS FWIW, I'm Boulder-based, so my preferences would be White, Walker, Super-Betasso, Hall..but I could do Falcon, Apex, etc...

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
snowskilz said:
i'm prolly going to do deer creek with you guys. im the slow one tho so i will just be the caboose and take my time
JasonB will always be faster than you... and me and them... Don't take it hard, that dude has an extra set of lungs or something.

·
eci
2,712 Posts
kitchenware said:
JasonB will always be faster than you... and me and them... Don't take it hard, that dude has an extra set of lungs or something.
yeah i was grannying up this hill and he was grannying it up this hill and he kicked my ass. i think that he has a biomechanical hip system. Yeah...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm down.

Thursdays are problematic for me as that is one of my regular days off, so I'm not so inclined to get up and out so early.

I will try my best to be at this thursday's ride just to meet some folks.

This morning's ride was great, sorry I had to bust out early, but as it stood I walked into work at 9:01.

·
I can't ride 45!
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the good word, but at the same time I know that I huff and puff up the hills like everyone else. Ask Bock how strong I looked on the last climb of the Buffalo Creek ride he took me on -- he had a pretty good view of the sad scene as he watched from the top of climb. I envy guys can are comfortable with big air and those with sweet slow-speed technical trials-y skills (Migz anyone?). Someday, right? Suppose getting better is what keeps things fun.

·
I can't ride 45!
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kick butt to hear that folk are interested. I have a calendar made for Tuesdays 6:00 am which starts on August the 3rd and rotates south to north from Mt. Falcon to Dakota/MW to Chimney/Apex and then repeats. Give me places for Thursday rides and I will add them to the calendar and then post it as HTML on my site.

·
eci
2,712 Posts
jasonb said:
6:00 am it is. Looking forward to riding with you. Lets get some Thursday locations so I can complete a calendar and distribute.
Apex/chimney
Dakota/MW/MS/RR
White Ranch
Mt Falcon(real close to matthew winters just up in morrison)
Hall(i think its a 35 mins from lakewood(i think))
Waterton Canyon(im a fan of roxborough loop)
Deer Creek Canyon

On Occasions like weekends Maxwell falls, Lair of the bear, Summit Co Stuff, Elk Meadows

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
But the question currently on the board is: Can you make Deer Creek tomorrow at 6am? Sounds like a bunch of yahoos will be showing....soo early...soo painful.

·
Registered
82 Posts
jasonb said:
Give me places for Thursday rides and I will add them to the calendar and then post it as HTML on my site.
Add Deer Creek for Thursdays.

Perhaps some further north for our Boulder based brethren though they may want to put together their own list...

You've covered all the rides I can do in the AM so other than DC I don't have any others

Lair O Bear? Is that a good morning ride?

Nice Job Jason!

·
I can't ride 45!
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Edderd said:
Add Deer Creek for Thursdays.

Perhaps some further north for our Boulder based brethren though they may want to put together their own list...

You've covered all the rides I can do in the AM so other than DC I don't have any others

Lair O Bear? Is that a good morning ride?
Lair is a good morning ride. I will put Deer Creek for Thurs and White Ranch for Tuesday. I know not all of these will work for everyone but we can make what we can. Thursdays could hit central and south denver FR trails while Tuesdays could be places a bit more accessible to our Boulder bros -- good idea.

Might also be good to have some diversity between the two days so folk who make both Tues and Thurs don't end up riding the same spot over and over -- those planning on both days might want to pick four (doesn't have to be four but it would make scheduling easier) from the Thursday options...

Tuesdays:
~Falcon
~Dakota/MW
~Chimeny/Apex
~White Ranch

Thursdays:
~Waterton (enough time?)
~Falcon (same as tues?)
~Dakota/MW (same as tues?)
~Chimeny/Apex (same as tues?)
~Deer Creek
~LOB