Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as I noticed a while back I was the only one in the world who didn't run riser bars (I've since put risers on my Burner so now I know what that's like) I've noticed I'm the only one in the world not wearing full-fingered gloves (except in the winter). 99% of pics in mtb bike mags--full-fingered. All pics of Homers--full-fingered. So I said...let's go shopping.

I've discovered that some of the theories of full-fingered riding gloves include not only more protection in case of a crash (knuckles and fingers--that makes sense) but no padding on the palm area :)confused: :confused: ) I need padding for my right palm (broken wrist last year has made my palm really sensitive). So my question to the Turner Nation is: is there a comfortable full-fingered glove with ample palm padding? And I guess you can answer this as well: have you all found it necessary to go full-fingered on all rides? You know, just for the heck of it or does it really add something to your ride, like the stylin' moto look again. :cool:

·
Registered
505 Posts
A good set of grips really makes a lot of padding in the glove a bit redundant and a thick padded glove makes the bars harder to grip anyway.

Maybe new grips shoud be added to the list along with some gloves? ;)

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, that's something I hadn't considered

Tassie Devil said:
A good set of grips really makes a lot of padding in the glove a bit redundant and a thick padded glove makes the bars harder to grip anyway.

Maybe new grips should be added to the list along with some gloves? ;)
See, I don't know everything! I actually thought the Specialized grips I had were cushy but maybe there's cushier since apparently people are going the no-padding gloves cushier grips build mode. So...what are considered grips worthy of no-padded full-fingered gloves?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
its kinda like this: squishy gloves and/or grips can delpete the solid hand to bar feel most riders like these days as trials and ridin styles have gotten nuttyer, therefore, less glove padding and firmer grips is the norm. i too had a pretty massive arm injury and it took me some time to adjust to this new feel but the time had come to do so.

to answer yer last question, take a peek at the oury or rogue lock ons from odi. in my opinion, too squishy in a non lock on grip but with the addition of the plastic lined lock on sleeve, not too bad at all although i prefer the ruffians myself.

·
Dishwasher Safe
1,253 Posts
You might wanna look into these grips. I'm currently running them, but backwards. I'm old and my knuckles get sore. Running them backwards increases the radius where my fingers wrap the bar which seems to help. When oriented correctly, they're designed to give your palm support which you might find beneficial.

As far as gloves go, I'm still searching for the ones that don't wriggle around or bunch up in the palm when soaked in sweat.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
The right grips can mean a lot. I thought squishier grips would help but I actually prefer super tacky firm grips like the Salsa Fuegos.

Gloves are a pet peeve for me. (I've no shortage of peeves) First MTB gloves are overpriced, and they're under built bc they usually don't half last as long as a $19 pair of mechanix golves.

That said I really don't like the "I'm too foggin cheap to buy a decent pair of gloves" look the mechanix has... maybe if they didn't splash their logo over every square inch. But I still buy em.

Aaaaaannnnyway I just took my first ride yesterday on a new pair of Fox DH style gloves... my biggest peeve is sizing ... XL on just about every glove I've ever had barely fits and nobody seems to make 2XL. Since these are slightly small, the carbon knuckle sits part way out over my upper fingers and gets in the way of reaching for the levers. Hopefully the glove will stretch enough to compensate.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
I get the $9.99 pair of work gloves from Home Depot. Like 'Zilla said...I tear through MTB gloves in a couple weeks and have found the HD gloves to be much more durable as well as considerably cheaper. Downside is the lack of a terry cloth, but a wide-ish sweatband on your wrist makes up for it.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's crazy the sizing system

Bikezilla said:
The right grips can mean a lot. I thought squishier grips would help but I actually prefer super tacky firm grips like the Salsa Fuegos.

Gloves are a pet peeve for me. (I've no shortage of peeves) First MTB gloves are overpriced, and they're under built bc they usually don't half last as long as a $19 pair of mechanix gloves.

That said I really don't like the "I'm too foggin cheap to buy a decent pair of gloves" look the mechanix has... maybe if they didn't splash their logo over every square inch. But I still buy em.

Aaaaaannnnyway I just took my first ride yesterday on a new pair of Fox DH style gloves... my biggest peeve is sizing ... XL on just about every glove I've ever had barely fits and nobody seems to make 2XL. Since these are slightly small, the carbon knuckle sits part way out over my upper fingers and gets in the way of reaching for the levers. Hopefully the glove will stretch enough to compensate.
I've got average size hands and can barely get most mediums on, sometimes large fits nicely except for the finger length (don't have to worry about that with short-fingered jobbies I have worn since forever). If you had real large hands it'd be literally a stretch to get most gloves on. 'Zilla, I did see some XXL sized gloves at the store yesterday...but I can't remember what brand. Sorry.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
My bad I just looked and realized these Fox Bomber gloves are XXL(12). Yet they're still too small. I tried jbogner's XXL gloves (forget the brand) and they fit much better. I'll get them next time if I don't go back to the Mechanix.

JNC the cost of living in your area must be pretty good as I pay almost twice what you pay at HD & WM down the street. As for durability I've gone through several pairs of Troy Lee and Fox gloves that started popping threads and ripping within weeks. Plus the xc/trail gloves usually have too much lycra and usually end up snagging and ripping on my velcor padding straps at some point.

Work gloves seem to be the best deal.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Bikezilla said:
my biggest peeve is sizing ... XL on just about every glove I've ever had barely fits and nobody seems to make 2XL.
Zilla check out Troy Lee Designs mtb'ing glove line up. Their XXL is the only glove that I've found that fits my hand properly, and they offer a wide range of protection levels including the APEX with carbon knuckles.

Attachments

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I'd have to see em in person. I've had several TLD gloves in the past, all were undersized and each wore out faster than anything else I've owned. They do make the best looking stuff though.

The ones JB had Had separate carbon knuckle guards and seemed more comfortable than the one piece on my Fox Bombers but the Bombers are too small so that's part of it.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
You guys who don't live in hot climates should go down to the moto shop, fock the pansy MB gloves, well, except for some old school Race Face DH gloves I found for $10 that have lasted 5X as long as any other "MB" glove I have tried.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
rroeder said:
You guys who don't live in hot climates should go down to the moto shop, fock the pansy MB gloves, well, except for some old school Race Face DH gloves I found for $10 that have lasted 5X as long as any other "MB" glove I have tried.
...been there, done that...oh wait, I live in a hot climate ;)

Seriously tho, I don't get much (if any) more durability out of a moto glove. Keep in mind, I do ride 5 times/ week tho (1.5-2.5 hrs/ ride)....so I guess I'll suffer on with the HD gloves :D

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Which ones do you buy? I've looked while at HD myself, actually bought a pair of Mechanix gloves there which didn't last any longer, moto gloves have held up nicely but I don't use them full time, just on shuttle or resort type days. I need to find another pair of the RF gloves which I use on regular trail days with more climbing, they have held up great.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Jay, I've had those in green... theyre pretty decent and hold up quite well. My HD sucks on keeping them in stock and rarely in my size. I think they're ~14.95 up here in the NYC-boonies.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts