Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...

Well, I`m going to make an oil change to my forx fork and after being looking at three different brands of oil, used here in the forum by some users I see that there`s a little contradiction between some statements.

For example, some people swear TO NOT EVEN THINK OF USING oils with anti foaming propertys, well, the Motul used in some Marzocchi forks said this:

"Contains a special ANTI-FRICTION dope, making easier slidings.
Stable absorbing in all temperatures.
Anti wear, anti corrosion, anti foaming. Protection of gaskets"
http://www.motorspot.com/Fork_Oil_Factory_Line_(GB).pdf

That`s extracted from a motul document..

The other brand, Belray, there`s a debate of if it`s synthetic or not or if it even has that antifoam propertys, well at the technical specs in their website it says nothing about being synthetic (also it doesn`t said anything about not being) and also has antifoam propertys...

I can`t find golden spectro, or maxima or torco suspension oil (fluid) where I live...my last option are the putoline oils (I think it`s an italian brand), said this:

HPX 7.5
Description
Putoline HPX suspension fluid is formulated from special, highley refined, synthetic blended base oils. The addition of the most advanced additives produces a high-tech, top quality product for use Grand-Prix level. HPX suspension fluid prevents corrision, oxidation, leaking seal rings and foaming. HPX suspension fluid particulary suitable for machines used in high performance street, Moto-X, Road Racing and Enduro applications, whether is cross country races, road racing, enduro racing, trails or off-the-road racing. Putoline HPX suspension fluid is particulary suitable for monoshock, due to its very high VI.

http://www.putoline.com/en/products...road/suspension-oils/hpx-75/tab-omschrijving/

So, why the warning on bike forks of not using fluids or oils with that antifoam propertys?...Does it damage the seals?

thanks a lot to the experts!

bye

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
fran said:
So, why the warning on bike forks of not using fluids or oils with that antifoam propertys?...Does it damage the seals?

thanks a lot to the experts!

bye
:skep: :skep:

I've used anything from ATF to Torco RFF on several forks with no issues, including Golden Spectro and some Motul basic oil... Synth or dino, no issues.

There are some additives that supposedly reduce foaming and make the oil to reach some parts faster but they may damage the seals or make the oil to get so thin that it would not be suitable for either lubrication or damping, maybe that's the warning for.

Now, DAMPING oil needs to prevent foaming (or the cartridge needs to run pressures high enough for foaming not to happen). Semi-bath oil, it makes no difference.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks warp...also, fox forks are semi bath or open bath?

I was looking at a ton of oils (including torco, maxima, golden spectro...) and all of them have anti foaming properties..
So I think that the original question is out of place because further investigation reflects that ALL high end fork oils have antifoaming properties.

So, what a stupid way for suspension companys to have their "own" suspension fluid when ALL THE OTHER SUSPENSION FLUIDS OR OILS OF THE MARKET ARE JUST THE SAME...

Am I correct?

thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.