Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hayes hfx brakes on my uzzi and 9 out of 10 rides i have problems with loss of power, the lever squeezing to the bar and still being able to roll. i have been told that i may have damaged the master cylinder in a wreak that i had where i broke both brake lines at the handles. and this could be the problems. i have never really got along with these brakes and now i am looking at approx $120 to replace tthe cylinders with labor and that is really no guarantee that it will be the fix i am looking for. I am thinking of just spending the extra cash and replacing them with saints. my friend has saints and i really like the feel of them. any input/opinions

·
My arm hurts a little
1,471 Posts
Welcome to the Family. Ya HFX brakes will really only last you a month in Hard DH riding. Your Master are gone as you thought. I thru mine away and got some Mags. a lot better but they only last Two Months till your Master's blow out again. I have bought Three Mags and every Master has blown, and I am done with them. (If it feels like you have to pump the brake to make it work Masters are done)

Saint's are really good brakes couple of buddys ride them and rave about them all the time. Also I just got the Jucy 7's Haven't got to ride them But I know the stopping power is on par with Saint.

So ya ditch those HFX's they are not worth $120. Brand New!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
The only Hydraulic brakes I own are juicy 7's, and they are butter... but I still can't let go of all my mechs.

From what it seems if you have the money, go Hope... otherwise go with some J7's, Mags, saints... etc.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
I havent had any problems with my HFX brakes yet, but I dont really like them. I tryed a friends bike with juicy 5's on there, they were really nice, I can only imagine the J7's being better. I mean you could repair your hayes, 120 isnt too much considering completly upgrading brakes would be quite a bit more. I know i'll probably put the rear HFX on my P.2 when I upgrade, would probably be a perfict brake then. running on a 160 rotor.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
#1ORBUST said:
Welcome to the Family. Ya HFX brakes will really only last you a month in Hard DH riding. Your Master are gone as you thought. I thru mine away and got some Mags. a lot better but they only last Two Months till your Master's blow out again. I have bought Three Mags and every Master has blown, and I am done with them. (If it feels like you have to pump the brake to make it work Masters are done)

Saint's are really good brakes couple of buddys ride them and rave about them all the time. Also I just got the Jucy 7's Haven't got to ride them But I know the stopping power is on par with Saint.

So ya ditch those HFX's they are not worth $120. Brand New!!!
Get a better mechanic.

Qualifying products you havent ridden as better - BRILLIANT!

Hate on Hayes if you must be stay the HELL away from hope.

Juicy, Yeah - Shimano, Whatever - Magura, Yeah!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.