Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was one of the only times I brought my cell phone out on the trail, I was riding up Eldridge Grade close to the Lakeview Rd. intersection when I came across an older man laying inverted on the trail, with his 4 year old son next to him and another biker (the savior of the group for stopping and helping the man out). This older man was on a cell phone and had a history of heart issues and was seemingly having them now. He was on the phone with the Sheriff or Ranger, when his cell phone was about to die. Thankfully mine was fully charged and I left him in the hands of a much more compotent ranger. On my way back down they had the forces out: a circling helicopter, one ambulance and two ranger trucks. Seemingly 8 EMT like people on the scene too!

Point is: bring your cell phone because it will save not only your ass but another trail buddy!

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
Depending where I ride at I bring my phone with me. If I know I'm not gonna be getting any reception, then I'll just leave it in the car. I put it on silent as well, its annoying while riding and hearing my phone go off and distracting me. But at times those little phones definatly come in handy! Hopefully the guy ended up being ok. :)

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
baycat said:
Point is: bring your cell phone because it will save not only your ass but another trail buddy!
Unfortunately, I am always on call 24-7 for the small company I work for, so I always have my phone. Thankfully, I've never needed it for that purpose.

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
I ran into an injured cyclist on Hole In The Ground up in Tahoe last summer. we were 8 miles into the 16mi loop and my cell was getting signal. She wound up limping out on the strained ankle cause she did not have medical insurance but it was nice to know I could have called for help if needed.

·
new shoulder
44 Posts
Thats why I got my 1st cell phone

about 12 years ago....I was on a road ride with some buddies in a remote area, training for a road race. One of the guys crossed a wheel on a climb and went down - going fairly slow. Seemed like no big deal - but he was lying there screaming in pain. Turns out he had a broken Pelvis.

We wound up sending some of the team on a quest to find a phone and call 911. Poor guy had to wait over an hour for the Paramedics to arrive. I kept thinking what if he had broken a femur and was bleeding out.

When I slid over to the dirt side I realized cell phone reception was an issue and started carrying a 2M Ham Radio (smaller than cell phones in those days). Today cell coverage is usually good - but large dead spots exist.

Remember - the plan is to survive to ride again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.