Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have XT M775s. I find them a little too grabby when I first pull them (I know some people like that though). I prefer a brake that is rather vague when you first pull them, but then progressively increase power. Much like canitlevers on carbon rims (maybe I just race CX too much)

Anyway, I'm thinking about switching to a lighter brake. Magura Marta SL Mags or Hope Race X2s. Which one of these two brake like I described above?

Anyway in the meantime to adjust my 775s?

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
To adjust your XTs, try moving the lever reach so that it's closer to the bar. This will tone down the initial bite.

I've no experience with the Race X2, but the Tech X2 (same caliper) is a very subtle brake. It's got a fair amount of power if you grab a hadnful, but it needs a fairly deliberate effort to really reign it in. For slow technical stuff or just for scrubbing speed the X2 is excellent. The Tech lever gives a huge range of adjustment, all of which can be done easily while on the move.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
The other simple, free thing to try before spending money on pads is to move the levers inward on your bars, so you're only using one or two fingers to pull the lever. XT's have always been a bit grabby, but doing that reduces your lever stroke enough that it helps cut that down a bit. If you only use two fingers now, but you're closer to the body of the lever, you're putting more initial force in when you pull.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
Try some wet weather pads. I use those mostly around here, even in dry weather. They wear faster, but it gives me a better feel.

Man, I am going to kill MTBR for deleting everything older than 2004. There was a couple of good solutions to this a few months after those brakes came out, but they're gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.