1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured the 275 is worthy of its own review thread
The 275 is a bit limited searching for info and feedback. Please join in
and give some input of your 275.

Anyways, I have 3 rides so far on mine. last 3 years mostly rode my Turner Sultan with a brief period on a Santa Cruz trc set up with 650b's.
Having ridden hard tails in the past going back to 1995 I thought quite a bit about a ti frame until I came across a review on a Les 29er. Intrigued
about the Les, but not much info on the 275 model. Fast forwarding 3 weeks got the bike built up and greatly enjoying the playful nature of the bike.
If any of you rode bmx as a kid, you will enjoy riding this bike. Way easier to get the front end up off the ground or bunny hop over something than a 29er. Much less effort on the climbs and decends like a much bigger longer wheel based bike. Only real gripe is the high drag of the shimano bb. Have a enduro bearing bb on the way to take care of this. Also plan to get the LB 35mm rims to give even more bump compliance out of this bike. 29er's have their place but the Les 275
might just come out of top in my book as far as a fun fast race bike that
will out climb a 29er and stay close on the decents.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Here's mine

I don't normally do any kind of reviews since I work at Pivot so here's more of a selection of tidbits about my rig. I built it up just after Christmas and already have close to 450 miles on it. I've done everything from mellow singletrack to super tech trail and it's amazingly capable on all of them. Descending thru the nasty rock gardens is NOT something I like doing on this bike. It'll do it but I prefer to ride my 'Bird in that stuff. In more "normal" AZ chunk tho, it's a rocket. I even set a KOM on the very 1st outing while riding one of my favorite segments near my house (a descent!. Figured it was a fluke so I went back and tried again with my 'Bird, didn't match it. I give up a little bit in the chunky parts but gain a LOT everywhere else so it's a great tradeoff. I still ride the Firebird a lot and there's no awkward feeling going between the 2 bikes so I'm very happy with my choice. I just "raced" the 24 Hrs in the Old Pueblo in Solo category and logged 10 laps for ~170 miles and just under 11k vert feet of climbing. The bike worked perfectly and was a great choice for that course. I can still get a bit rowdy with it, wheelies and manuals are actually pretty easy (I'm running a 90mm stem). Jumps are still easy and fun, it pumps thru corners super fast and gets up to speed in just a couple of pedal strokes. Lastly, some of you know that I get to do a lot of testing on our bikes, esp. the more gravity oriented ones. The Les is NOT my test bike tho, I bought it :yesnod:
Quick build specs:
Large frame
XO1 drivetrain
XT brakes
DT Swiss XM wheels (the wider version we spec on the Mach 6 & Firebird)

Attachments

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just went over 200 miles total bike mileage today. Having more fun riding this bike than
the 29er. So the 29er is just sitting waiting for a Sedona, AZ trip. I finally got the fox
forks working well. As I only weigh 150 pounds, the recommended air settings from fox
did not work for me. So did the air piston rod mod and removed the shorter super stiff
return spring. Now the bike sits higher up in the stroke and absorbs bumps better. It even will get full travel now. Also the qc was lacking as only 1 side had grease on the entire fork sealing surface, the other side had just a touch. Currently running a x king 2.4 up front(measures out at 2.3) and a Geax AKA 2.2 on the back. The Les likes the higher volume tires. Looking forward to trying it at some local Boise area races starting next month.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think I want this bike!! Dropper, 50mm stem, 740 bars some 2.35 rock razor and u got a dh style xc race bike!!

How does it take to air? should I hold back like I do on my Niner air. I wish it had the SS drops out.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I'm pretty comfy in the air with mine, even without a dropper post and running a 90mm stem. I'm actually leaving it in this configuration just so I don't get carried away and start hitting drops that I probably shouldn't be doing on this bike ;) Have to see about some action pics, I usually ride solo or end up being the photo nerd so I'll have to recruit somebody else....BTW, just went over 600 miles on mine and I'm STILL blown away with how capable it is.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Right on sounds like my kinda xc bike, 600 miles on Arizona chunk is a good test. I'm 5'8 currently on a mach 6 med does it fit about the same? I see u're on a large.

My Niner is on ebay putting my order in for that yellow I'm excited. This post was the deciding factor thanks

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Yeah, the sizing is pretty close to the same. The Med was way too small for me (I'm 6') even tho I prefer a compact frame normally (I'm the weird guy who rides a Med 'Bird all day). Just did another crazy ride today that blew me away. The descents would've been more fun on my 'Bird but the 6k ft of climbing was MUCH better on this bike! And it's still fun on all but the chunkiest descents anyway.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Here's one shot from today. Not overly actiony but you get the point ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am dangerously close to pulling the trigger on a medium neon lime Les 27.5 frame. Are you guys running 100mm or 120mm forks? I'm thinking of putting a Rock Shox SID RCT3 fork on it with probably around a 60-70mm stem and 740mm bars. I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. Think some Nox Composite AM wheels will go quite nicely for all-around duties. Marathon XC racing like Barn Burner and Leadville and good old AZ Trail shredding. Ken, any thoughts on how the bike rides with 120mm fork compared to 100mm?

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
We're speccing it with a 100mm fork and that's what I'm running. I've gone from a "more is better" mindset to a "what's it designed for" approach when it comes to forks. A 120mm will work OK but the handling is gonna be a bit slower, climbing will require more forward weight shifting and IMO the extra travel doesn't really provide enough advantage to justify it. That's just me of course but I have tried that option way too many times with less than stellar results. My bar setup is a 740mm bar w 90mm stem (Large frame). That's proven to be a good mid-point between XC & AM.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sounds good. Thanks Ken. I was most likely going 100mm fork but wondered what you were running since you have been raving about your bike. I'm building it for more XCish riding/racing so 100 is fine. Like you, I have a Firebird 27.5 for the gnar. I'm thinking of a stem shorter then the 90mm because I appear to be right on the edge between small and medium at 5'9".

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
100mm travel fork great balanced bike for xc IMO. After a few tweaks inside the fork, I get 105 travel now as in stock form 85mm was all it would get. bike rides higher in the stroke which helps my 53 year old body. As shown with spare tube and computer, 21 pounds 1 ounce.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
mitch, what is your complete spec? My hope is to get into the 19-20lb range.
Plan:
Size: medium
Fork: RS SID RCT3 100mm
Wheels: Nox Composites AM 27.5 with I9 torch hubs (a little heavier then a pure XC race wheel but should stand up to all conditions I might ride this bike in. Set approx. 1540g)
Drivetrain: XX1
Brakes: XTR trail with 160mm rotors front/rear
Bars: something at 740mm wide
Stem: 70-90mm
Seatpost: one of the more compliant carbon options
Tires: ? Spesh Fast Tracks? 2.1-2.2

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
XTR shifters and RD, XT FD, AC hubs with revolution 2.0 1.5. 2.0 spokes 365 gram LB rims which spec out at 1380 gram wheel set, mt-6 brakes, hope front rotor (160mm), cheap 77 gram rear rotor, XTR cassette. Race Face turbine crankset with 22,30,40 and a Enduro Bearings BB. Seat is a WTB Deva(need a bit extra padding for hard tail) with the syntace seat post to get a bit of flex. 70 series Easton riser bars and a ebay 90 gram stem. Also I made a 12mm rear axle and working on a 15mm front axle to knock off another 50 plus grams.. Also ti bolts where ever possible and a purelycustom 12 gram seat post clamp for 15$ Pedals are 284 grams a set. King Ti water bottle cage and last are the ESI chunky grips.
You should have no problems getting your bike down to 19.5 pounds with the xx1 set up.

mitch, what is your complete spec? My hope is to get into the 19-20lb range.
Plan:
Size: medium
Fork: RS SID RCT3 100mm
Wheels: Nox Composites AM 27.5 with I9 torch hubs (a little heavier then a pure XC race wheel but should stand up to all conditions I might ride this bike in. Set approx. 1540g)
Drivetrain: XX1
Brakes: XTR trail with 160mm rotors front/rear
Bars: something at 740mm wide
Stem: 70-90mm
Seatpost: one of the more compliant carbon options
Tires: ? Spesh Fast Tracks? 2.1-2.2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts