Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
17,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's here.

It's awesome.

2 rides in so far, heading out for another right now.

It's drastically different from the Leviathan, and that was exactly the point.

More (MUCH more, no pun intended...) later.

MC

·
17,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something awesome this way comes...

I've got about 9 hours on it so far, on some of my favorite trails on earth. I really like it. In fact I've restarted this post 3 times because I'm so excited about it that I don't know where to begin.

With my Leviathan taking care of the all-day epics and light-FR type riding, and my Moots handling anything over a day long, I wanted something different. Something that was completely and totally unlike every bike I've ever owned.

I wanted a bike that could do things I've never even looked at doing before. I wanted it to be durable so that I didn't have to worry about it taking the beatings that our harsh trails deliver. I wanted it to not flex, wince, or even think twice about the way I planned to ride it.

I got all of that. In spades.

After just 3 rides I've had no choice but to come to terms with the fact that this bike is capable of more than I'll ever be able to do. Bigger drops, faster descents, steeper lines, etc... And I'm okay with that--I'm no freerider. But the surprising part is that on today's ride I cleaned three moves that I've never cleaned before, and all of them ON THE CLIMBS. The usual descents that strike fear into me were laughably smooth. The bike is so tight that it inspires confidence no matter where you are, at any speed, and no matter what you're doing.

Despite it's heft (more a factor of the build than the frame) it climbs incredibly efficiently in and out of the saddle. Although for me it'll always be built up as a freeride type rig, Devin is convinced that with light components and wheels it would make a great all-day xc machine. He's probably right about that.

But that's not the way I built it, and it's not the way I plan to ride it. I'm ~180 lbs and I know that it's overbuilt for me. I say with 99% assurance that this bike is built to survive the beatings that most clydes would deliver.

But I'll go into more details about the build later...

This is the part where I usually fade out and leave y'all some pics to gawk at, but for some reason the "Upload images" button isn't working. I'll try again later--sorry for the tease.

MC

·
17,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gt

If the damn photo-thingy was working, you could SEE a 5" travel (single crown, thru axle) WB fork, along with the rest of the bike.

Hopefully later.

And no, unfortunately I do NOT have incredible powers of healing. My ankles are no better than when I pulled out of TI. If not for this new bike staring me in the face I would not have ridden at all this week.

MC

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Thanks, Bigwheel, for helping Mike get those photos up of his new baby.

Quite a machine you have there. Mike, what's the clearance like running that Exi in the rear on the rear triangle "arch" for lack of a better descriptive word?

NIce rims. They even make my Rhynolites on the Cannondale MT800 Tandem look iddy biddy (well almost).

BB

·
17,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the photo assist, Bob.

The rims are not WTB's. They're the Unicycle rims, 875g of love (each!) mated tubeless to Exi's (another 875g of love, each!). Combined weight is stratospheric, but it's the first 29" wheel that can be ridden with reckless abandon whenever the mood strikes. I've built up piles of every other rim out there (some more than others) and nothing, NOTHING, is anywhere close in performance to the Uni rims. The penalty, if you choose to look at it that way, is weight. I see it as double secret punishment training on the way up. On the way down I forget about it because I'm laughing so hard.

Rear tire clearance with this rim/tire combo is only ~5mm all the way around. But this is only a proto, and as soon as Devin saw it built up he noted the fit and said it wouldn't be a problem to open it up for production.

I didn't weigh any individual components before assembling the bike, so don't ask for fork or frame weights. Complete bike, as pictured, is ~32 lbs. Heavy? Depends on perspective. Bombproof is more accurate. Padre, Soupboy, are you out there?

The rear shock is not stable platform. Yet. DT has some early production units of their 'platform' shock trickling in right now--I'm hoping to get ahold of one of those to try soon.

It sounds like hopeless gushing, I know, but this bike is revolutionary in my mind. We've got a glut of hardtails (beautiful ones of every shape, size, color, and configuration, but still hard), a few softtails, more single speeds than you can shake a stick at, and a few xc-type fs bikes. This is the first 29"er aimed at a totally new segment of riders. Along with the Uni rims, the 5" WB fork, and the beef-baloney Exi's, we suddenly have ourselves a giant dose of previously unimaginable versatility.

And that's worth getting excited about.

MC

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
mikesee said:
Padre, Soupboy, are you out there?
MC
Oh, I'm here...and I'm salivating...
32lbs? That's it? I think we can count Soup out for this one..cause he won't run those tires.... :D
My SC Bullit I ran for 3 years as an XC rig weighed 36lbs at it's most svelt set up, so a 32lb rig is plain delicious.

That said, if I were to ever pony up for a rig like this, it would have to sport at LEAST 6" of buttery fork travel. My 1.0 already has 4" of travel...and I'll bet my bag of marbles that I could keep up with most on any gnarly DH section on it. But I long for more. I long for 29er travel that rivals my old Marz Z1. Buttery, bottomless. Heck, I'd sacrifice stiffness for smooth travel. But I wouldn't jump to a whole new frame for only 1" more fork travel.
I'd need more.

On top of all this, my Leviathan is holding strong. Like you said Mike, the Behemoth is unlike any bike you've ever ridden. To me, it looks exactly like the Lev. And only 1" more travel? Perhaps Devin is pushing the envelope gradually..probably a wise move....

This is VERY exciting. Perhaps I'll stave off my plans for a Turner SixPack?

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Nice

My 5 Spot weighs 31 so 32's good. What do you think of the WB fork? what do you think of the bikes peddaling and braking performance as compared to other bikes in the same travel range?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Blasphemers!

I just soiled mi pantalones. My morning wood just morphed into Behemoth wood. Now THAT is the bike and rims the Exis were meant for...

32# is still 4lbs lighter than my old RFX - even in its "trail" garb. Crap, I was just about to pencil out my dream spec for an El Capitan and you had to go and post this.

Let's see, turn my KM SS back to full turgid and bump my Reba travel to 100mm for starters. Me likely that WB fork but it would have to wait.

Any stats yet on expected production dimensions/angles?

Goes back to daydreaming of what could be...

Sean

Padre said:
Oh, I'm here...and I'm salivating...
32lbs? That's it? I think we can count Soup out for this one..cause he won't run those tires.... :D
My SC Bullit I ran for 3 years as an XC rig weighed 36lbs at it's most svelt set up, so a 32lb rig is plain delicious.

That said, if I were to ever pony up for a rig like this, it would have to sport at LEAST 6" of buttery fork travel. My 1.0 already has 4" of travel...and I'll bet my bag of marbles that I could keep up with most on any gnarly DH section on it. But I long for more. I long for 29er travel that rivals my old Marz Z1. Buttery, bottomless. Heck, I'd sacrifice stiffness for smooth travel. But I wouldn't jump to a whole new frame for only 1" more fork travel.
I'd need more.

On top of all this, my Leviathan is holding strong. Like you said Mike, the Behemoth is unlike any bike you've ever ridden. To me, it looks exactly like the Lev. And only 1" more travel? Perhaps Devin is pushing the envelope gradually..probably a wise move....

This is VERY exciting. Perhaps I'll stave off my plans for a Turner SixPack?

·
17,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Padre

At it's current weight I can think of only one thing that is a potential 'weak point', and that's the cranks. They're old square taper Suntour XC Pro's (cuz I'm that kinda guy), and while they are forged, I'm not so certain they were ever designed with this kind of riding in mind...

So factor in an additional pound (probably less) to get a FR-worthy crank and bb, and then call it good.

I know that WB WILL make a 6" travel fork (as in right now, if you pony up the $$), but I'm pretty sure it'd have to be a double crown. They gave me that option and I opted to stay with the 5" single crown. And I don't know much about the specifics of the damper in this fork, but I do know that it's the butteriest WB fork I've ridden to date. Buttery as a Reba with the negative chamber pumped sky high? Yep, but stiffness in another league (another sport, really) altogether.

I agree completely that it'd hang tough on any DH section. On this rig it's the rider that is the limiting factor.

It may look similar to the Lev, but everything is beefed up tremendously in comparison. Hanging side by side, the Lev looks like what it is--a light, nimble, fast XC ripper. The Behemoth is an overbuilt wrecking machine.

Get your bad self over here next weekend for the Fruita Festival and RIDE IT.

MC

·
2,821 Posts
WOW. That bike looks amazing.

Nice work Mike,Devin, WTB, DT Swiss, and White Brothers for continually pushing the envelope. This is quite the machine!

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Big Girl

She's a big girl but she's real purty. It seems like a very interesting bike. Not something that would be my first choice for the type of riding I do but I can certainly see the appeal of having one in the stable and it seems like there is a huge market for this style of bike. Also I just love the look of the Lenz bikes. I know that shouldn't be an issue but I wouldn't ride an ugly bike.

Anyway how do you like those grips? I've been running a set of those and the specialized grips. I'm partial to the Specialized but still testing.

Bummer about your achilles hope you heel (ha ha) real fast.

Adam

mikesee said:
At it's current weight I can think of only one thing that is a potential 'weak point', and that's the cranks. They're old square taper Suntour XC Pro's (cuz I'm that kinda guy), and while they are forged, I'm not so certain they were ever designed with this kind of riding in mind...

So factor in an additional pound (probably less) to get a FR-worthy crank and bb, and then call it good.

I know that WB WILL make a 6" travel fork (as in right now, if you pony up the $$), but I'm pretty sure it'd have to be a double crown. They gave me that option and I opted to stay with the 5" single crown. And I don't know much about the specifics of the damper in this fork, but I do know that it's the butteriest WB fork I've ridden to date. Buttery as a Reba with the negative chamber pumped sky high? Yep, but stiffness in another league (another sport, really) altogether.

I agree completely that it'd hang tough on any DH section. On this rig it's the rider that is the limiting factor.

It may look similar to the Lev, but everything is beefed up tremendously in comparison. Hanging side by side, the Lev looks like what it is--a light, nimble, fast XC ripper. The Behemoth is an overbuilt wrecking machine.

Get your bad self over here next weekend for the Fruita Festival and RIDE IT.

MC

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.