Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new SRAM 991 chain and need to get the proper length for my bike. I accidently shortened 2 extra links away. Not only making it 2 links shorter, i made one end of the chain with the outer plates only. Without the inner plates on that one end of the chain, I cant use a powerlink connector to connect the chain. I cant reuse the pin that i pushed out to put the inner plates back on one end of the chain. Is there a solution to this so I dont have to get another chain? Can I use a Shimano chain pin to permanently join the back the extra links back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So i should use another powerlink as a replacement for one set of the outer plates and have the inner plate mounted with the replacement powerlink. Is it ok to have 2 set of powerlink one after another?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
No, don't use a Shimano chain pin.

Remove the outer plates, get an extra Sram Power Link from your local shop (they're sold separately), and add back in the number of links you require with Power Links on either end.
Yep, you can have two lengths of chain with two Powerlinks...strongest solution short of a new chain

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
temjin006 said:
So i should use another powerlink as a replacement for one set of the outer plates and have the inner plate mounted with the replacement powerlink. Is it ok to have 2 set of powerlink one after another?
I've had a chain with 4 or 5 powerlinks on it at one point, I wouldn't worry too much about the strength.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not reusing an old pin. I am using a new pin that had the pilot end attach to it before I used it to put the inner plates and bushings in that i accidentally took out. The pin is in and there's no binding so far and its good as new. I will get an extra powerlink tom'w and swap it out or whenever that shimano pin decides to self destruct. The type of pin i used is what I used it to use on my old shimano chain when i need to join the chain back together after disassembly. Shimano suggested to replace the pin after every disassembly.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I don't know the dimensional differences between the openings in Shimano's plates (what the pin was designed for) versus Sram's. If you can find a trustworthy reference on the web suggesting this is OK, then leave it. I'm uncertain. A from II is right -- you're at risk of racking your basket if your chain spontaneously combusts on a climb.

The reason introduced those pins (and the reason Sram uses Power Links) is because just shoving a pin back in place is unreliable unless you're using a chain tool that ever-so-slightly dimples the pin ends, enlarging the pin diameter and "locking" it in place. The chain tools you and I commonly use aren't capable of that pressure.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and Power Links tend not to fail. You could probably construct a chain made entirely of Power Links and still lead a meaningful life; only another bike fanatic or the CIA might notice your deviant tendencies -- certainly not your neighbors, your family or your barber.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.