Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am install a new fork on a Giant XTC where I do not have the old one to measure. How do I determine the length to cut the steering tube.... even to the top of the stem, just below, or just above and how much?

I have no idea as this is the first mtb with suspension for me... its a Marzocchi Marathon if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
Install everything, and adjust with spacers are needed. Then mark no less than 3mm below the top of the stem or the top spacer and cut there. It's a popular option to put spacers above the stem to allow adjustment down the road.

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
I always leave an inch or more extra with all new bikes. What might be right during the build can turn out to be too short later.
I also like to run spacers above the stem, makes me think it's more secure...which may be completely in my head.

You can always cut off more later, but you can never add length back without spending $$$.

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
It's completely in your head. The stem is what provides the clamping fork. Extra spacers offer no extra performance.
The in my head part has to do with a great clamping force being applied if the entire stem wraps around steerer. The 3mm likely won't make much of a difference. I think of it like this, would I rather be hanging from a tree limb using all my fingers, or all minus a pinky? That pinky isn't adding much, but it may be enough to hang on for just a bit longer.
Again, in my head, I know.

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts
Having that extra bit of steerer tube might come in handy if you decide to change stems in the future as well.
As well as changing headset or even switching to a new frame... Like a lot of people do...

I'll say leave as most as you can, and just pile up spacers over the stem... unless its sticking out a few inches, you should be alright... You will probably see yourself making lot of changes to your cockpit to find the right fit over the years, so it's alway a good option. Then if you want to sell the fork after, it's easier to sell a long steerer then shorter one, since people have more room to fit in their bikes...

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.