Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
2012 Race: April 28th!
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday the Whiskeytown Park Service informed me that in spite of some very heavy rains this year, so far there has not been a debris flow in the Brandy Creek drainage. Barring a big storm, they anticipate opening the entire Lemurian race course to mountain bikers on Sunday April 19th. So please join me in preriding the course starting at 9 am from the Brandy Cr Marina. I plan to ride the long course, but I’m sure we’ll be able to put together a group for the intermediate course too. Hope to see you April 19th!

·
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Logo/T-shirt design

Here's the design for the finishing pin and t-shirt. The t-shirts will be black, perfect for NorCal summers:eekster:

Attachments

·
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SludgeFactory said:
Great race!! My first was in 93. Any plans on going back to the Shasta Dam?
Wow, '93! I think I raced that one too. No chance of going back, that course doesn't exist anymore. The twisty, usually muddy singletrack on top got replaced by roads. To add insult to injury, last summer's Motion Fire burned the entire area with the Lemurian Chute being ground zero for the hottest part of the fire:madman: The Forest Service has closed the area and might reopen it this fall. So it may be possible to ride "The Chute" someday:cool:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
LemurianGuy said:
Wow, '93! I think I raced that one too. No chance of going back, that course doesn't exist anymore. The twisty, usually muddy singletrack on top got replaced by roads. To add insult to injury, last summer's Motion Fire burned the entire area with the Lemurian Chute being ground zero for the hottest part of the fire:madman: The Forest Service has closed the area and might reopen it this fall. So it may be possible to ride "The Chute" someday:cool:

I heard that Chappie-Shasta isn't going to be open for a long time because there isn't any funding to get anyone out there working on it.

I'm really interested in doing it, think a 5" heckler would be overkill?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Renovatio said:
I heard that Chappie-Shasta isn't going to be open for a long time because there isn't any funding to get anyone out there working on it.

I'm really interested in doing it, think a 5" heckler would be overkill?
Thomas, bring that Heckler and come on up and do the Lemurian. You'll love the course.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Renovatio said:
loan me $40? I'll need you to show me the course before the race though.
The way you and Chad climb, this race would be right up your alley. If things work out, Brian and I can show ya the way or hook up with Lemurian Guy, he can show the way. Plus he is an animal on a bike.:thumbsup:

·
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2008 Pictures

I forgot to post some of the best pics from last year. I love this sequence, the photog happened to be in the right place at the right time. Not the gnarliest spot on the course by a long shot, but obviously tricky.:p

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
This was a great race, I did this last year and highly recommend it to everyone. This is definitely a more challenging course than seaotter, which I find boring. One thing though is that there were some spots were I got lost. Regardless, I still had a great time. Cheers and best of luck to everyone this year, I won't be returning to race due to health issues=(

·
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
iWiLRiDe said:
One thing though is that there were some spots were I got lost. Regardless, I still had a great time. (
Its possible that you didn't see a course marking arrow for a mile or so while on course, but that's because there are no intersections or places to turn off so no arrows are necessary. All the intersections were/are well marked with arrows, some have course marshalls as well. So you were never lost! Sorry we won't be seeing you this year, hope you'll race next year.:thumbsup:

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
@ iWilRiDe - - haha , don't feel bad.
I raced the Whiskeytown Classic in '93 - I was cruising down this double-track/fireroad - just truckin' and havin a great ol' time jumpin off the whoop-dee-doo's (rolling water bars)
When I came up on some flagging tape and a couple marshalls who gave me a strange look. I then noticed other racers coming down the course from another direction.
I said "man! did I miss a turn?"..."you sure did bud" was the reply. I had to backtrack uphill about 1/2 a mile - the bad thing was that I had inadvertently taken another rider with me (he was just followin where I was goin! :eek:)
I ended up re-passing SOME of other riders I had previously passed who also gave me strange looks like "didn't you already pass me?"
(I ended up taking third in my division - beginner-- but I think I may have had a shot at first If I had paid closer attention :D)

·
Registered
378 Posts
FYI rumor has it that chappie may be open by may. Forest Service and BLM are out clearing the dangerous trees and fixing the bad areas. Bummer is when I ask to volunteer to do trail maintainance, BLM said basically no thanks, we want to help, but they won't let us then complain that the budget is making progress slow.... yada yada yada. typical red tape BS.. Anywy trail 12 and 15 were in the heart of the fire and that area will be a wasteland for the next 5 years or more. Plus side is that BLM asked Redding Dirt riders to help them locate some new trails.

Oh yeah, the lemurian race is a beast.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I remember hearing that the original course was not being used after the 9/11 incident due to banning parking at the base of the dam. True?

Those days were so much fun. I did the '92 version on a hot day. The weekend was shared with a big national motorcyle event and I think they had a category for mtb and motos.

I did a few more on that original site and even got to experience that freezing rain thing that became pretty common. I believe that the Sea Otter stole a lot of the big name riders that would come out to the Lemurian as a first major race of the season.

The crew up there (I am assuming the same folks put it on) have always done a fantastic job no matter where they held the race. That entire area is probably one of the more under rated ride areas. It really has it all: French Gulch, Whiskey Town Reservoir, and probably a lot more that the locals would know about.

The race itself has survived as one of the last ONE BIG LOOP courses over the years. Hopefully that hasn't changed.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
LemurianGuy said:
Zeke, do you have any info on the Dry Creek trail?
The only thing I have heard is that we "cannot ride the trail". Don't know what kinda shape its in either.:)

·
Registered
537 Posts
LemurianGuy said:
Its possible that you didn't see a course marking arrow for a mile or so while on course, but that's because there are no intersections or places to turn off so no arrows are necessary. All the intersections were/are well marked with arrows, some have course marshalls as well. So you were never lost! Sorry we won't be seeing you this year, hope you'll race next year.:thumbsup:
All good bro, I still took first place last year ^_~

I also did the race back in 96-97, one of those years when the race started at the bottom of Shasta Dam. It was crazy, perfect nice weather at the base, but storming up at the top! That race I also got lost, but the point still being that the Lemurian is a great race to be a part of!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts