Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
First time for me at Shasta Lemurian this week-end.
I have an Epic and ride in the bay area with some Fast Track control.
I am comfortable at Skeggs with those tires on technical sections, like north leaf/south leaf (posting top 10 on Strava).
Is a knobbier tire advised ? I have a pair of new WTB wolverine 2.2 TCS kevlar that I could use.
Thanks
fabe

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
...just was looking at weather forecast for this weekend - maybe you would need a mud tire this time? Rain for a couple days. Or it will be just perfect.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I can't make it this year but if I was going I'd bring the hardtail and run a 2.1 Fast Trak Control on back. Might give up some time on some descents but all I remember when I think about that course is tons of fire road climbing on front and back end with miles of awesome in between, none of which was particularly gnarly. Think Tamarancho not Downieville.

So fun (in a 5k of climbing at race pace sort of way). Bummed I can't make it but have a baby that could show up any day!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
There isn't much mud in the Lemurian (whiskeytown) as most of it is decomposed granite and holds up very well.

The two longest climbs are fireroads, with a nice path packed down. The two biggest downhills are gas can (which is a fireroad but has been recently regraded and is kitty litter over hard pack) and the couch (which is steep single track which is mostly soft hardpack with some sections of loose over hardpack).

Mt. Shasta Mine is part of the long course and there was just an endurance horse race through it. Needless to say its pretty ripped up and looser than normal.

Personally I think you'll give up quite a bit with a fast track in the front, the only place I think that would excel is in the canals. IMO Wolverine/Fast trak would be good, wolverine/wolverine would definitely give you a bit more confidence but you'd lose some speed. Races aren't won on the downhill though.

·
2012 Race: April 28th!
871 Posts
You won't need a mud tire, the soil is mostly decomposed granite and drains very well. Rain will improve the course. Your normal tires will be fine, but don't try to win the race on the first descent as it's kinda sketchy even in the rain.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I know the weather forecast shows that it's going to be 70 at hottest on Saturday which probably won't be until 2-3pm. Will it be much cooler around the start time and at the higher elevations of the race?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Rode most of the course over the last 2 days, actually in very good shape. Rained some yesterday, maybe a little more in store tomorrow. Shouldn't be any mud other than a couple standing puddles, for the most part, grippy grippy dirt. Just about any tire will work, just don't push the descents too hard if you are on skinny's, there are some good sized rocks/roots on a couple of the downs. Local MTB club did some work on the couch section (first descent) in the trench area, it is ridable if you can get past the first series of roots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts