·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
If you could just get one of these in TI

and bigger wheels..... :D

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Hey Aqua, how's those new brakes going? How much longer now, you've had that cast what 3 weeks now already? That damn right leg of your's is gona be frikin huge by the time they take the cast off with all the riding you've been doing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Aquaholic said:
How's that saying go? "When life throws ya a lemon..........."
You are a BAD dude Aquaholic...keep up the good work !
One leg uphill with the swank Jones...excellent!

b3ksmith

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
New year's eve day, we had gone out for one last 2006 ride. We were 30 minutes into our climb and about 3 miles up. We came to this wall ride that I had modified a week or so earlier. Basically, I changed it up so that you shoot up high onto the wall(towards that huge boulder), and then do a slow huck (off of those embedded roots) back down onto the trail.

Not warmed up, I foolishly had to show everyone my new stunt. Bad call.

The landing is sketchy and off cambered. I came off of the roots a bit too hot, and as my rear wheel landed, I felt the tire begin to give away. Instinctively, I unclipped, and the full weight/momentum came crashing down on my left foot. I felt a bolt of white hot pain shoot through my knee.

I sat down on that tree and knew immediately that I wasn't going to be able to shake this one off. After a few minutes I could not stand up. I didn't tell my buds how badly I was hurt. It was sort of an ego thing and I also didn't want to ruin their ride. I told them that I didn't think I was going to continue climbing and for them to go on.

It was excrutiating trying to get back down the mountain. I could not put any weight on my left foot and stood with all of my weight on the right pedal, coasting. It was really slow going and whenever I got to a boulder or tight spot I stopped and somehow used the bike as a walker. It took forever to get down.

Eventually, I made it to a saddle. But, then I had a 2 mile climb to get back to the trailhead.

Worn out, dejected, in pain, and exhausted...I couldn't pedal or hobble any further. I lay down in the dirt figuring that at some point my friends would be coming back down.

Two guys on Ellsworths soon rode up and asked me if I needed help. We ended up taking two inner tubes... tied them together, fashioned into a tow rope. One was looped around his gravity drooper and the other around my stem. The guy was a trooper!

Pulled me out on a climb, like a tugboat.

That was sunday afternoon. There was no way I was going to sit in ER on New Years eve for 8 hours.. so, I laid on the couch for the rest of the weekend. That was an adventure in itself.

Fast forward to tuesday, and I ended up wearing this full length cast with a busted tibia.

I have 3 more weeks to go in this blasted cast. Slowly slipping into madness...I had had enough of house arrest, and decided that I needed to somehow get some mountain air in my lungs.

It may not have been real MTB'ing, but it did my head a world of good to get out and pedal again!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Aquaholic said:
Two guys on Ellsworths soon rode up and asked me if I needed help. We ended up taking two inner tubes... tied them together, fashioned into a tow rope. One was looped around his gravity drooper and the other around my stem. The guy was a trooper!
So what I'm hearing is a gravity dropper actually saved your life??! Ouch, that must have hurt even worse that the injury! :madman:

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Aquaholic said:
I sat down on that tree and knew immediately that I wasn't going to be able to shake this one off. After a few minutes I could not stand up. I didn't tell my buds how badly I was hurt. It was sort of an ego thing and I also didn't want to ruin their ride. I told them that I didn't think I was going to continue climbing and for them to go on.
I heard about your injury before but I didn't know about the self-rescue part. Damn, damn, damn. That's all I can say.

Get well soon and put that cape back on.

francois

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,866 Posts
Aquaholic said:
New year's eve day, we had gone out for one last 2006 ride. We were 30 minutes into our climb and about 3 miles up. We came to this wall ride that I had modified a week or so earlier. Basically, I changed it up so that you shoot up high onto the wall(towards that huge boulder), and then do a slow huck (off of those embedded roots) back down onto the trail.

Not warmed up, I foolishly had to show everyone my new stunt. Bad call.

The landing is sketchy and off cambered. I came off of the roots a bit too hot, and as my rear wheel landed, I felt the tire begin to give away. Instinctively, I unclipped, and the full weight/momentum came crashing down on my left foot. I felt a bolt of white hot pain shoot through my knee.

It was excrutiating trying to get back down the mountain. I could not put any weight on my left foot and stood with all of my weight on the right pedal, coasting. It was really slow going and whenever I got to a boulder or tight spot I stopped and somehow used the bike as a walker. It took forever to get down.

Eventually, I made it to a saddle. But, then I had a 2 mile climb to get back to the trailhead.

Worn out, dejected, in pain, and exhausted...I couldn't pedal or hobble any further. I lay down in the dirt figuring that at some point my friends would be coming back down.

Pulled me out on a climb, like a tugboat.

That was sunday afternoon. There was no way I was going to sit in ER on New Years eve for 8 hours.. so, I laid on the couch for the rest of the weekend. That was an adventure in itself.

Fast forward to tuesday, and I ended up wearing this full length cast with a busted tibia.

I have 3 more weeks to go in this blasted cast. Slowly slipping into madness...I had had enough of house arrest, and decided that I needed to somehow get some mountain air in my lungs.

It may not have been real MTB'ing, but it did my head a world of good to get out and pedal again!
Hey Steve it's one thing to do an off camber jump on a motorcycle. But on a bike, you have that whole crank thingamajiggy thing to worry about. Back in the day we used to do alot of off chamber jumps on our dirt bikes, and what a blast it was. What a coincidence about the whole Ellsworth / GD thing saving yo azz. [too funny] Or should I say GoreDuke ha, ha,. You sure make the rest of us look bad by getting back on the horse with before a full recovery, what a trooper.:thumbsup: I hope ya heal properly.

·
OMR - Old Man Riding
429 Posts
Not a matter of if you're going to get hurt....

Only a matter of when! Most of us have been there (although not hurt quite as badly). My wife often asks after a particularly hard crash, "And you do this why?"

Heal quickly friend,

OMR :cool:
SoCal

·
Tree Hugger
286 Posts
Agree with the idea of "when your next crash is going to happen." I figure that if you don't crash sometimes you're not pushing hard enough.

Then again, maybe I push too hard sometimes... My fiance has actually told my friends that she doesn't think I could be a very good mountain biker because I'm always coming back bruised and scratched from the latest crash. Hmmm..... ;)

Heal fast Steve. I'm still waiting to hit those trails in greater San Diego again.

~R

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.