Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need some help with this fellas (& fella-ettes).
So I'm a college varsity XC runner, and I'm going to start racing MTBs on the side. I've got a team to compete in the 24 Hours of Big Bear and I'm pretty certain I'll be riding the first leg. That said, I understand that this race starts with a LeMans style start. First, what is the exact length of the LeMans start? I understand it to be around 400-800m. Running track at college, I'm more than prepared for this, and I know that without a doubt I'll be in the first group to head out onto the course (w/bikes). So here's my next question, which may be unanswerable... What is the best shoe for LeMans start? I understand that the soles of MTB shoes are rigid to transfer all the energy to the pedal, but is there a more "foregiving" shoe out there? I don't really care if it's heavier or not of the greatest quality, I just want a shoe that will be forgiving in the run--c'mon, I have to run a 2.15 800m otherwise my coach would be pissed lol--but still work just for one lap of the race (I have a pair of high-end Specialized shoes that I normally ride with).

Any thoughts? Criticisms? Just hit this thread up. Thanks ya'll!

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
We all run in cycling shoes, you can too. Don't be a running shoe snob. OR you can run in running shoes, and sit down and change them when you get to your bike, that ought to about even it up. Just run in the cycling shoes, it's not that bad. Everyone just sort of jogs. This is a LONG LONG race, it's not going to be decided by who gets to the bikes first.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, don't worry, I will be running in cycling shoes... it's just that my current shoes are pretty damn incomfortable to walk in, so I'm just wondering if there is a more comfortable shoes. Thanks for the advice, but do you know how long a Granny Gear event LeMans start is? I've searched the internet for a good 15-20 minutes looking for a definitive answer...

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
ickyickyptngzutboing said:
Haha, don't worry, I will be running in cycling shoes... it's just that my current shoes are pretty damn incomfortable to walk in, so I'm just wondering if there is a more comfortable shoes. Thanks for the advice, but do you know how long a Granny Gear event LeMans start is? I've searched the internet for a good 15-20 minutes looking for a definitive answer...
They are typically about a quarter mile or less (that is, the 24 hr races I've done, but never done a GG race).

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Your also running at 7000'

I'd focus on being comfortable more than being the first guy out of the box. Save yourself for the some 2000 ft of climbing your goign to be doing on each lap. have someone ready at your bike with your riding shoes and run with your riding socks on to smooth out the transition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.