Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been posted before, but I'm posting because my bike performance has been slipping. I had a week and a half of pretty intense riding with a few days off in between, some was at altitude, felt great, did well, and took a few days off to recover (4). Went on a not so long ride saturday, which did have a lot of climbing and I was dying. The climbs were killing me and I was done. The next day I did a ride at altitude, again, just in trouble within the first few miles, and I did finish and all but I was so slow and felt horrid. I suppose I need rest/recovery/something, but isn't 4 days enough? I don't want to lose cardiovasular fitness while I recover. Should I just easy spin this week? What would you do?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
If you've had four days off the bike how hard were you resting?

It sounds obvious but four days of gardening (for example) isn't going to be as effective as four days in bed. A lot of people think that just not riding but carrying on as normal otherwise (work, nights out etc) is enough to recover properly but it's not.

If you're not getting enough nutrients: calories, carbs, protein, fluid and vitamins etc your body won't be able to recover well either. What I like to do is have a few days where I literally don't get out of bed apart from stretching every few hours and eating. That way I know everything I'm eating is being used for recovery and not just used for energy.

You should be drinking a lot of fluid 3 litres plus a day to flush your system along with anti-oxidants (milk thistle, Vitamins A,C,E and selenium) every few hours and protein preferably as protein shakes with 500ml of fluid. Supplementing with ribose and glutamine helps recovery also.

If you don't live at altitude but then go and ride at altitude shouldn't you be expecting it to be tougher due to the thinner air?

You won't lose fitness up to around 1 week off the bike unless it's total bed rest (eg. in Hospital) but it's best to ease back into your riding after a recovery week with a few gentle flat rides.

Hope that helps.:)

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WR304 said:
If you've had four days off the bike how hard were you resting?
If you don't live at altitude but then go and ride at altitude shouldn't you be expecting it to be tougher due to the thinner air?

You won't lose fitness up to around 1 week off the bike unless it's total bed rest (eg. in Hospital) but it's best to ease back into your riding after a recovery week with a few gentle flat rides.

Hope that helps.:)
I expect altitude riding to be tougher, but the rides I did before I started having problems still felt "ok" - obviously I was huffing and puffing but I wasn't trashed.

Wish I could take 4 days in bed to recover. Not in this lifetime ;) Too much to do and of course, that thing we call "work".

·
Registered
151 Posts
WR304 said:
What I like to do is have a few days where I literally don't get out of bed apart from stretching every few hours and eating.
A. I don't think this is possible for most people

B. It sounds awfully boring :confused:

Make sure you are getting enough carbs/protein/vitamins/nutrients, etc. Stretch, do some *easy* rides. I've noticed that life's general stress takes a toll on my riding as well, and can wear me out.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
porterjack said:
I've noticed that life's general stress takes a toll on my riding as well, and can wear me out.
This is probably a major part of the equation indeed.

Thanks for your help and insight guys.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
porterjack said:
A. I don't think this is possible for most people

B. It sounds awfully boring :confused:

Make sure you are getting enough carbs/protein/vitamins/nutrients, etc. Stretch, do some *easy* rides. I've noticed that life's general stress takes a toll on my riding as well, and can wear me out.
I'm sure you all know this already.:)

If you're stressed at work your body produces more cortisol just like after a hard ride which will cancel out any chance you have of recovering properly.

The time in bed sounds extreme but it also compresses the recovery period into a shorter timespan. The equivalent of four full days in bed could easily end up as 2 weeks of normal living if you're not careful.

The current fad seems to be for 15 minute ice baths immediately after training to help recovery as it's supposed to help your joints and muscles relax. That's ice baths up to the neck not just sitting in the bath!

Sounds fun.:)

I only work part time at the moment as most of my time is taken up with attending physiotherapy and rehabilitation (riding my bike, weight training and sleeping:) ). It's just like riding full time but with no racing.:(

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WR304 said:
The current fad seems to be for 15 minute ice baths immediately after training to help recovery as it's supposed to help your joints and muscles relax. That's ice baths up to the neck not just sitting in the bath!
:(
I used to do this when I ran after anything longer than a half marathon. Just to my waist though. THAT was hard enough, you could hear my teeth chattering from the other room.

I think i'll try just being a couch potato for a few days though this time.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
It seems you did a lot of altitude work without planning how to handle it. Your last fatigue was caused by lack of altitude adaptation. Assuming you're back to the lowlands I'd just go ahead and ride hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts