Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I started building bicycle frames, am I liable for damages if someone hurts themselves on one that I build?

Not really planning on going into the business of bike frame building but it came up in conversation with a friend the other day. We are building a lighting fixture that needs to be UL approved before it can go on the market. We have been talking about building bike frames. We wondered it there is some organization that oversees the structural integrity of bikes and I thought someone here might know.

thanks,
dan

·
Randomhead
1,183 Posts
recognize that the insurance you can get is "claims made" insurance. In other words, it doesn't cover the year you made the bike, it covers the year a claim was made against you. It makes the most sense to be an LLC, and ISU will tell you that. So there is a significant legal aspect of framebuilding even though there are no regulatory hurdles to cross. It is possible the regulations will show up in the future, however.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.