Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had not ridden my bike in about 2 months. However, I have been doing squats in the gym and have gotten consideably stonger in my legs. I rode the other day and was worried about my cardio level and was prepared to take it slow and easy. But, I found that I was alot better than I had anticipated. My improved leg strength really helped my ability to pedal that bike. Have you guys noticed this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
hrhitter said:
I had not ridden my bike in about 2 months. However, I have been doing squats in the gym and have gotten consideably stonger in my legs. I rode the other day and was worried about my cardio level and was prepared to take it slow and easy. But, I found that I was alot better than I had anticipated. My improved leg strength really helped my ability to pedal that bike. Have you guys noticed this?
Yeah,In the realm of leg exercises squats are the king,they not only work the quads but
the butt muscles,lower back and to some extent the stomach.The only thing I find with
squats is that they wipe my leg muscles out for the next couple of days during which I
probably ride at sub optimum levels.
To work more on your cardio at the gym you could also hit the ellipticals.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I can't do heavy squats anymore because of a back injury.

Another take on the method below is to do dumbbell lunges to failure (between 10-15 reps per leg) and then, without resting, squat it out to failure. Add in some shrugs too. Great, efficient superset that really hurts.

crashedupderby said:
lower weights, higher reps, squat till you puke or cant walk, which ever come first

·
Keep The Rubber Side Down
1,685 Posts
Leg squats and Leg press

Big fan of those two exercises. A winter filled with those as well as other leg work outs. I need to re-join a local gym soon to get back in the groove of doing those on a regular basis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.