Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah, i figure after my last fall...it's time to get some more protection for my fat ass.......i fall hard.

so, just browsing on pricepoint...and this caught my eye, lol.
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15619-536_FOXSG2-1-Clothing-14-Protective-Gear/Fox-Standard-Adult-Knee_Shin-Guard-'07.htm

so, yeah...how shitty would these actually be? I mean...damn, that's cheap...but, i don't want to just get them cause they're cheap....if they'll break when i hit a twig...

i'm obviously doubtful....but i'm cheap too... so, if not these...what are some cheap ones that'll work halfway decent (i'm still learning...so i don't want to invest in GOOD ones until i'm certain this is where i want to toss some REAL money...i'm still on a hardtail...so....yeah..)

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
Pads are one thing I wouldn't cheap out on, because a cheap pad may give you a cheap fit and/or slid out of place on a fall. Plus, every cheap pad I've tried has been the most ill-fitting POS that would always slide out of place during normal riding. I've got the mid. range stuff now and love it. Fox Launch shins / rockgardn upper. Try what ever you're thinking about before buying.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Those pads slide around like crazy, and the knees are irritating.

I have some pretty inexpensive 661 Comps. They do slide a little bit, and are on the warm side. For the most part, they stay where I want them to. I would like a little knee protection though.

My uppers are a Fox Launch Suit. Fits nice, breathes alright.

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
661s i love mine, always wear them, a little warm, but hey, its freakin padding and plastic, a little iriation on the back of the leg around your thigh area, but only notacable after like an 8 hour day of riding

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
BKnight said:
661s i love mine, always wear them, a little warm, but hey, its freakin padding and plastic, a little iriation on the back of the leg around your thigh area, but only notacable after like an 8 hour day of riding
I had thoes too but hated them, constantly slipped down, way to hot, had to take off your shoes to put them on, ect.. That's just me, and obviously you're experiance is different, which just goes to show, you really have to try on pads before you buy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Roach

I have the Roach FR pads and love them, they are very comfortable and the protection is awsome. I for get that I have them on and walk into stores after my rides and driving 30 minutes.

Not the cheapest but they work well for me...

·
Is flexy
1,559 Posts
I agree that beyond bikes had shoddy customer service but I've found if you call them like a day or so after you place the order and check to see if they shipped it they will either... A) tell you they did and then you get the tracking number, or B) they will say they didn't yet and then I always tell them I either want my money back then or the order to ship that day and they usually take care of it. I am however not defending their horrible customer service in any way.

·
Registered
434 Posts
roach fr2 - sweet

i just got the roach fr2 from jenson for $75 and i think they are worth every cent. not too hot, very light, and you forget they are on after about 20min.

if you do a search on this forum you'll see that everyone who has them loves them....

dont go cheap...your knees will thank you...

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
nicolicious said:
i just got the roach fr2 from jenson for $75 and i think they are worth every cent. not too hot, very light, and you forget they are on after about 20min.

if you do a search on this forum you'll see that everyone who has them loves them....

dont go cheap...your knees will thank you...
pay the money and get these or the DH model(which has mesh on the back

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
BKnight said:

When it comes to protection, never go cheap!

I second the 661 Race pads, I've had the same pair for almost 3 years, and I'm just now having to replace them. I have skinney legs (6'3" 180lbs), and they stay in place. I don't even really need to take my shoes off when putting them on/taking them off. They are one of the best I have ever owned.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well...i have fat legs...and i need ones that'll fit.

i really want to find some a.)used ones for cheap b.)discounted ones for cheap or c.)get some off ebay for cheap

right now...it's ALL about the cheap. i do NOT ride big drops or very hard trails (yet...) and i don't need much/any protection..... I just want some real cheaps ones to see if i need them or if i can even stand to wear them. I'll DEFF be getting some GOOD ones after i get my FS frame and progress a little with my skills. I'm really just wanting somethign to cover my shins instead of having nothing at all, like i ride now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.